Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #91  
I am pretty well up on the rules and Reg's here in P.A.

:rolleyes:

AT LEAST I THOUGHT I WAS

Does this mean you are starting to get it?

Ignorance of the law is no excuse no matter how you try and bend or twist it. With them this is how it reads and that's it.

This is hilarious.

One more thing I forgot, I am a aircraft technician buy trade and have been for 25years. When it comes to reading rules and Reg's that our government writes you better know what little words like ( If , Or, To, And, Is ) mean.

This is truly scary.

Do you use your backhoe for business or purely recreational use?

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #92  
arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

don't we do this every few months.

go google the rules. fmcsa, read them, get back with us.

over 26,000 CGVW (rated, not hauling) requires a CDL (unless it's an RV, firetruck, some farm exceptions)

a combined rig with a trailer of 10k lbs or less (total over 26k) requires a class B

a combined rig with a trailer over 10k lbs requires an class A

a pickup truck with a 14k trailer is about 24k CGVW
using the rules from fmcsa, what type of CDL do they require??????

TRICK QUESTION, they do not require a CDL at all.
they MIGHT require a USDOT number if using it for commercial purposes, again, SEE FMCSA

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #93  
arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

don't we do this every few months.

go google the rules. fmcsa, read them, get back with us.

over 26,000 CGVW (rated, not hauling) requires a CDL (unless it's an RV, firetruck, some farm exceptions)

a combined rig with a trailer of 10k lbs or less (total over 26k) requires a class B

a combined rig with a trailer over 10k lbs requires an class A

a pickup truck with a 14k trailer is about 24k CGVW
using the rules from fmcsa, what type of CDL do they require??????

TRICK QUESTION, they do not require a CDL at all.
they MIGHT require a USDOT number if using it for commercial purposes, again, SEE FMCSA

You must have missed the memo too.

Apparently PA throws federal regulation to the wind and plays by their own rules. :rolleyes:

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #94  
The way I THOUGHT I understood this and may be wrong after suffering through this thread.

If your combined weight of truck and trailer is less than 26,000 lbs then you don't need a cdl for private use.
My 110tlb with cab is about 8000 lbs, carrying an additional implement (say the boxblade is another 1250 lbs since it is the heaviest implement) and add the trailer weight with spare and chains 2650 lbs. 8000+1250+2650=11,900 lbs. Trailer is rated for 12,000 lbs and that is very close! I seldom if ever carry the boxblade and the hoe at the same time but for sake of arguement lets assume the 12,000 lb. trailer is loaded.

Living in the mountains I wanted to have a truck that was safe to pull this trailer, so in 2005 when I purchased the tlb I also bought a new truck. The truck is an F550 4x4 service truck which is rated for 19,000 lbs and has a 33,000 lb tow package. The ACTUAL weight of the truck is 11,800 lbs aprroximately (depending on what is being hauled in the bed). If the truck is 12,000 lbs and the trailer is 12,000 lbs my total weight is 24,000 lbs and less than 26,000 lbs in all cases.

So do the reguations require me to have a cdl for a rig that is under 26,000 lbs in actual weight? I purchased the larger truck for safety reasons but may still get in trouble if I understand this. It appears that the "rated load" seems to supercede the actual load. The trucks gcwr is 33,000 lbs ( a Ford spec), the trucks gwr is 19,000 lbs and the trailer is a 12,000 wr pull type.

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #95  
The way I THOUGHT I understood this and may be wrong after suffering through this thread.

If your combined weight of truck and trailer is less than 26,000 lbs then you don't need a cdl for private use.
My 110tlb with cab is about 8000 lbs, carrying an additional implement (say the boxblade is another 1250 lbs since it is the heaviest implement) and add the trailer weight with spare and chains 2650 lbs. 8000+1250+2650=11,900 lbs. Trailer is rated for 12,000 lbs and that is very close! I seldom if ever carry the boxblade and the hoe at the same time but for sake of arguement lets assume the 12,000 lb. trailer is loaded.

Living in the mountains I wanted to have a truck that was safe to pull this trailer, so in 2005 when I purchased the tlb I also bought a new truck. The truck is an F550 4x4 service truck which is rated for 19,000 lbs and has a 33,000 lb tow package. The ACTUAL weight of the truck is 11,800 lbs aprroximately (depending on what is being hauled in the bed). If the truck is 12,000 lbs and the trailer is 12,000 lbs my total weight is 24,000 lbs and less than 26,000 lbs in all cases.

So do the reguations require me to have a cdl for a rig that is under 26,000 lbs in actual weight? I purchased the larger truck for safety reasons but may still get in trouble if I understand this. It appears that the "rated load" seems to supercede the actual load. The trucks gcwr is 33,000 lbs ( a Ford spec), the trucks gwr is 19,000 lbs and the trailer is a 12,000 wr pull type.

Yes. Your GCWR (or CGVWR) is 31,000 and your trailer is over 10k GVWR requiring a CDL class A.

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #97  
Thanks for the responses, guess I will make plans to get the cdl license when I have the chance.:(

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #98  
I have read all of this thread and a few others on other sites and they all seem to turn out like this. :laughing:

I own a company and run a few trucks to haul my stuff and have spent a little time on the phone talking to goverment employs. Most of the time it goes like this thread. The problem is a goverment employee wrote this and you can read it both way. Being if you need a CDL if the trailer is over or under 10,000 lb. So yes a state employee can and will write you a ticket, doesn't mean their right. You just have to have the facts. I think the link to the DOT site Duffster posted nails it under the questions and guidance as they call it, more goverment speak. So here it is for those that didn't click his link. The first three questions seem to clear this up for me. I am putting a copy in all my trucks.

I think this first question goes to a state can do what they want if you live there but for the next part see questions three. If you don't like your states rules, move.

Question 1: May a State expand a vehicle group to include vehicles that do not meet the Federal definition of the group?

Guidance: Yes, if: a. A person who tests in a vehicle that does not meet the Federal standard for the Group(s) for which the issued CDL would otherwise be valid, is restricted to vehicles not meeting the Federal definition of such Group(s); and b. The restriction is fully explained on the license.

I think question two is about as clear as you can make it about the 10,000 trailer limit.

Question 2: Is a driver of a combination vehicle with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of less than 26,001 pounds required to obtain a CDL even if the trailer Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is more than 10,000 pounds?

Guidance: No, because the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is less than 26,001 pounds. The driver would need a CDL if the vehicle is transporting HM requiring the vehicle to be placarded or if it is designed to transport 16 or more persons.

The way I read this is if you are good in your state your good in others. You may have to go to court to prove it for some goverment employees but that is the reason I am putting this in my trucks.
Question 3: Can a State which expands the vehicle group descriptions in ァ383.91 enforce those expansions on out-of-State Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) drivers by requiring them to have a CDL?

Guidance: No. They must recognize out-of-State licenses that have been validly issued in accordance with the Federal standards and operative licensing compacts

So Jenkinph is correct in you need a CDL because a F550 has a GCWR of 30,000 lb but he could get a F350 with a GCWR of 23,500 to 24,500 and tow a trailer of 14,800 to 16,500 and not need a CDL.

Roger

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #99  
Tailrotor,

Do you have a class B since a class B is needed for any trailer 10k or under?