Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #111  
Capt that combo doesn't need a CDL. While it is over 26k in combo the trailer is not over 10k which is the over half of the requirement to need a class A.

so what you are saying if i have a truck with the rating of 25500 and pull a 7k rated trailer i dont need a cdl but if i have a 3/4 ton truck and pull a dual tandem trailer i will need a cdl that dont make a bit of since but it could be very true it would be stupid tho

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #112  
I read this whole post, with some frustration.....
Seems there are several people bent on defending their "dog in the fight"

But there are a few KEY statements that must be respected, and that make this much clearer.

First, there are the federal guidelines that apply everywhere as a minimum standard. From quoted material presented here, they seem to say that the 26,000 weight rating is the key factor - trailer weight (beyond that 26000) only affects license category (A or B class license).

BUT!!!!!!

States have the ability to expand regulations for vehicles registered in their state. So if California or Pa wants to require a CDL for a 10k trailer, they can do that for vehicles registered IN THEIR STATE.

A similar situation exists for air quality standards for vehicles. There is the federal standard for new vehicles, then there is the enhanced standard for vehicles sold in California. But I can DRIVE my Tenessee (federal standards) car in California (in transit) without having to meet the standards for California.

Part of the problem (a pervasive problem in our society, if you ask me...) is that these regulations were written by beurocratic lawyers (no offense intended to any tractor drivin' lawyers who may be members/readers here on TBN :laughing:), and are so confusing that only another lawyer can understand them!!!

I'll get down off my soapbox now and go back to playing with my tractor. Y'all have a nice day.....

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #113  
No one should listen too any of the info. posted on this Thread Except, "Call your states Police Traffic Division and ask them".

David

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #114  
so what you are saying if i have a truck with the rating of 25500 and pull a 7k rated trailer i dont need a cdl but if i have a 3/4 ton truck and pull a dual tandem trailer i will need a cdl

That is exactly what I am saying.

From quoted material presented here, they seem to say that the 26,000 weight rating is the key factor - trailer weight (beyond that 26000) only affects license category (A or B class license).

Not exactly. There is a difference in what that 26k number measures when discussing A vs B and just because the number is over 26k doesn't automatically mean a CDL is needed.

No one should listen too any of the info. posted on this Thread

Specifically anything you have posted.

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #115  
dsgrs, please don't be giving advice out like that. It's comments like that that kill the forum. The forum is here so we can all voice our opinions and our interpertation of the laws. Even though I live in Canada I can tell you what I think the law means in Kentucky or even California. And that info you can take to the bank, if you get pulled over just tell them that a guy on the internet from Canada said you don't need no stinking cdl to pull what you are pulling. Give him my user name if you want but there are several other experts on here who would defend you case better. I just had a brain storm, carry a laptop with you and when you get pulled over just show the MTO, DOT ( whatever they are called there) this thread. I'm betting he'll let you off.
PS, do you know which gas station near me has the cheapest fuel?

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #116  
Oh yeah, our rules here in Ontario are just as vague as the US by the sounds of it. I got pulled over a couple of years ago hauling a S10 pickup on a recently bought heavy trailer behind my 2500 Dodge commercial truck ( no comm plates, it's company lettered though) Turned out the licence office made a mistake on the trailer and rated it to haul 500 kilos instead of 5000 kilos. I had a bunch of other things wrong too and the guy ended up letting me go with nothing because he said I had so many things wrong the fine would be more than the truck and trailer was worth. I called it a lucky day. Nothing unsafe, just paperwork not proper.

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #117  
I just had a brain storm, carry a laptop with you and when you get pulled over just show the MTO, DOT ( whatever they are called there) this thread. I'm betting he'll let you off.

That'd get you farther then stating "that XYZ officer back at ABC weigh station told me this". :)

/ Getting Kubota TLB L46. Need some help #118  
No one should listen too any of the info. posted on this Thread Except, "Call your states Police Traffic Division and ask them".

And no one should ever ask a law enforcement officer for legal advice. :thumbsup: