Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull?

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #11  
There is no way in heck that a 06 Tundra hauls 10,000 lbs
No way.
And if you do, please tell me where you are so I can get out of the way.
That is way way way overloaded. A current Tundra is smaller than a F150/K1500, and the new one (07) is the same size as a F150/K1500.
Those won't pull 10,000lbs. Oh, sure, they might once or twice, but not every day, and not safely.
A trailer can come undone and pull your vehicle around VERY FAST, don't underdo it.
The most I would haul with a F150 would be 5000 to 7500 lbs. Total. The current Tundra isn't even that big. A car hauler style trailer with dual 3500 lb axles weighs about 2000 to 2500 lbs empty, so figure at most your tractor, implments, oil, gas, etc can weigh about 5000lbs. Depends on what tractor you have, and what implments (and don't forget FEL, those ain't light either)

Bumper Pull is fine, it's longer and harder to deal with, but it works fine. I have a 10' bumper pull HD equipment trailer, it's got dual 7k lb axles probably weighs 3000 lbs and teh tractor and equipment weigh 5000 to 6000 for a total of about 9000lbs. It hauls fine. But, my next trailer is going to be a gooseneck.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #12  
I do wonder whether that 10,000 lb. number is for the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). The only thing I find is a 6,800 lb. towing capacity and even that is dependent upon having it properly equipped.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull?
kennyd said:
That you will have to answer for yourself after you get prices:eek:

Maybe you could tell us some more info to help us help you:

1. How much do you want to spend?
2. How much towing will you do?
-once a week
-once a month
-once a year
3. How many miles would be your average towing trip?
4. What will be attached to or carried along with the tractor?

Also remember to include hitches, brake controller, chains, straps, binders, wheel chocks, spare tire, etc. when answering question #1, these accessories add up quick!

I want to spend as little as possible :D but that doesn't necessarily mean cheap - as little as possible for a decent piece of equipment.

Not sure how often I'll be towing. Pretty rarely, but I was thinking today of innumerable things I could do with a bigger trailer. Might haul brush with it (town chips for free) once a week.

Capacity wise if the truck hauls 10,600, then I'll want a trailer that either hits that, or exceeds it (provided trailer weight doesn't get too high). I've never had a problem with excess capacity.

From what people are saying, sounds like the gooseneck is the way to go if the cost is in the ball park. Which is a big if...

LoneCowboy said:
There is no way in heck that a 06 Tundra hauls 10,000 lbs
No way.
And if you do, please tell me where you are so I can get out of the way.
That is way way way overloaded. A current Tundra is smaller than a F150/K1500, and the new one (07) is the same size as a F150/K1500.
Those won't pull 10,000lbs. Oh, sure, they might once or twice, but not every day, and not safely.
A trailer can come undone and pull your vehicle around VERY FAST, don't underdo it.
The most I would haul with a F150 would be 5000 to 7500 lbs. Total. The current Tundra isn't even that big. A car hauler style trailer with dual 3500 lb axles weighs about 2000 to 2500 lbs empty, so figure at most your tractor, implments, oil, gas, etc can weigh about 5000lbs. Depends on what tractor you have, and what implments (and don't forget FEL, those ain't light either)

Bumper Pull is fine, it's longer and harder to deal with, but it works fine. I have a 10' bumper pull HD equipment trailer, it's got dual 7k lb axles probably weighs 3000 lbs and teh tractor and equipment weigh 5000 to 6000 for a total of about 9000lbs. It hauls fine. But, my next trailer is going to be a gooseneck.

By New Tundra I meant the new ones that are coming out in a few months (2007) - much larger than the current ones, they are meant to go toe to toe with the US companies in the Full size market. Toyota claims they will pull 10,600 properly equipped, and I really doubt they are saying that if they can't back it up - they'll get their butts sued off.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #15  
Charles, that's a pretty fair increase because I find they now show the current Tundra to have a GCVWR of 11,800 with the V-8 engine (less for the V-6) and with the lightest curb weight of 4275 that only leaves 7525 for passengers, cargo, and trailer with its load.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #16  
I was thinking about this today, our big truck is a 96, F250 with a 460 gas. I pick up 3 tons of rock on occasion with our 18' goosneck, and hope to be doing it with our bumper pull (yes, technically reciever hitch pull, but generally referred to as bumper pull) dump trailer.

All I have to say is that Tundra must be a stud, cause our truck is WORKING when pulling that (I would guess about 8K lbs) and while I may be in limits to add another ton or two, I would not want to do it.

Are they rating that Tundra as 3/4 or 1 ton? Very Seldom have I ever seen a GN hitch in a half ton truck. Usually someone moving trailers, not hauling loads.

You will actually probably find it easier to back the GN if you get wiggly quick backing a bumper pull trailer. It is just tough sometimes to get everything cranked around where you want it sometimes with the GN, takes a couple extra moves.

Good luck in your search.

If you do go with a reciever hitch, make sure that all your stuff, from the hitch itself, to the cross pin to the ball to the ball mount are rated for the weight. Not sure that any of mine is for the full rating of the dump trailer.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #17  
Charlesaf3 , your question is bumper hitch or gooseneck.

Without a doubt, gooseneck.

Lots of pros and cons with each system.

For me, quite clearly, gooseneck: Key reason is stability while pulling and balanced load on pickup. The physics is simply soooo much more forgiving compared to a bumper hitch. You can get gooseneck balls that detach from the bed of the pickup to retain the full flat bed usage.

For me, the gooseneck is about 10 times safer than a bumper hitch. If you wish me to elaborate because your research does not lead you to this undestanding, PM me and I'll reply in detail.

That said, I have a bumper hitch flatbed and gooseneck stock trailer. I worry, a lot, every time I take that flatbed trailer on the road with any load at all... it bounces more, is more difficult to balance the load, makes the frontwheel steering less sure, pushes the rear of the 1 ton pickup around if I don't watch it.... and I DON'T drive crazy....

Go gooseneck and you won't be sorry... yep, more dollars but clearly worth the money for safety reasons. That's my $.02

Bird said:
Charles, that's a pretty fair increase because I find they now show the current Tundra to have a GCVWR of 11,800 with the V-8 engine (less for the V-6) and with the lightest curb weight of 4275 that only leaves 7525 for passengers, cargo, and trailer with its load.

Yeah, its much larger than the current one. (per released specs). Current one is one of the smaller pickups out there - this will be the other end of the spectrum. ITs a complete redesign. New Factory too - they are made in the new factory in San Antonio.

AlanB said:
I was thinking about this today, our big truck is a 96, F250 with a 460 gas. I pick up 3 tons of rock on occasion with our 18' goosneck, and hope to be doing it with our bumper pull (yes, technically reciever hitch pull, but generally referred to as bumper pull) dump trailer.

All I have to say is that Tundra must be a stud, cause our truck is WORKING when pulling that (I would guess about 8K lbs) and while I may be in limits to add another ton or two, I would not want to do it.

Are they rating that Tundra as 3/4 or 1 ton? Very Seldom have I ever seen a GN hitch in a half ton truck. Usually someone moving trailers, not hauling loads.

You will actually probably find it easier to back the GN if you get wiggly quick backing a bumper pull trailer. It is just tough sometimes to get everything cranked around where you want it sometimes with the GN, takes a couple extra moves.

Good luck in your search.

If you do go with a reciever hitch, make sure that all your stuff, from the hitch itself, to the cross pin to the ball to the ball mount are rated for the weight. Not sure that any of mine is for the full rating of the dump trailer.

I've never been able to figure out the tonnage ratings on pickups. The tow rating on the new Tundra is with a 5.7l V8, for what that's worth. Lot of engine. They oversized the brakes too, evidently.

Basically, Toyota seems to want to pick a fight with the big 3 - makes sense, big pickups are some of the most profitable cars out there for the auto companies.

Good to know on the Gooseneck. Now it comes down to prices... And if any interesting used stuff turns up for sale

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #20  
Something no one has mentioned yet is load ride height. GN's I have seen generally are wider with the bed extending out over the width of the tires, while bumper pull are usually between the tires (giving a lower riding load). If you have never loaded equipment on a slick trailer (or dry one for that matter), sometimes pucker factor enters picture going up back of GN trailer. Just be careful.