Hay Ride Wagon Build

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build #21  
As others have mentioned the wagons with the pivoting front axle should not be considered at all. What ever wagon is used should have tie rod steering.
Also something else to be aware off many of the older farm hay wagons do not have bearings in the wheel hubs they are just bushings. When woreout they can be a nightmare to recondition to be usable.

1703463607245.png

But here is a brand new running gear, in many areas you can find a lighter set (6 ton) for about half that,
1703463967861.png

This adjustable tongue is a very worth while option makes hitching up much easier,
you just backup to within 3 to 6 inches of your drawbar hitch hole unlatch and extend the tongue,
drop in the hitch pin then backup to latch the tongue in place and go.
1703464009335.png

On many of the newer running gear brakes are an option, if you are using a light tractor brakes and a manually operated controller would be nice, especially if your tractor does not engage 4wd when the brakes are applied.

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build #22  
I wonder if you can find a old pickup truck, like a Chevy 1500 with leaf springs on it, and strip it down to the frame?

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build
Thanks Lou! I did not know some of the older gear did not use bearings. Bushings would be more problematic. I may have to look at newer stuff and plan on doing some traveling. Shipping I would think is pretty expensive.

One thing I will have to determine is if I can get it on my 20‘ trailer. 6’10” inside the top rail.

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build
I wonder if you can find an old pickup truck, like a Chevy 1500 with leaf springs on it, and strip it down to the frame?
I have candidates for that already but would rather have an actual running gear.

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build #25  
Thanks Lou! I did not know some of the older gear did not use bearings. Bushings would be more problematic. I may have to look at newer stuff and plan on doing some traveling. Shipping I would think is pretty expensive.

One thing I will have to determine is if I can get it on my 20‘ trailer. 6’10” inside the top rail.
On a new or newer one I would be tempted to just put it behind a pickup and go. But one nice thing about all the running gear that I have worked on the "poles" or reach are removable and you would have the rear V with the wheels and the front V with the wheels and the tongue can be folded up or one bolt removes it so it can be easily fit on most any trailer.

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build #26  
My friend is Mennonite and has a houseful of people right now. Possibly I can get some pics Wed. I don't remember exactly what it looks like but it's pretty, functional and pleasant for people to get on with nicer clothes.

Your wagon frame looks good with the tongue arrangement so you can back it up. A regular hay wagon tongue is difficult to back up. My friend's wagon I think is an Oliver with small springs built in. Here are a few ideas off the internet.

Stay tuned.Image 3.jpegImage 2.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Hay Ride Wagon Build #27  
I have a farm wagon because I built one with brand new - ten ton - Horst running gear. As I remember - total cost was right around $1800. That was twelve years ago. I'm FINALLY getting pretty good a backing the thing up.

The two main beams - paired 2x12's. Also - 1" plywood - sandwiched between the paired 2x12's. Glued and screwed together. The cross members - 4x4 pressure treated timbers. I used steel gussets to tie the 4x4's to the main beams. The decking - 5/4 tongue and grove exterior grade plywood. The paint - a mix of all the leftover latex paint I had.

The deck is 8' by 12'. I had a local welding shop make the ten stake pockets.
IMG_0003.jpeg

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build
I have a farm wagon because I built one with brand new - ten ton - Horst running gear. As I remember - total cost was right around $1800. That was twelve years ago. I'm FINALLY getting pretty good a backing the thing up.

The two main beams - paired 2x12's. Also - 1" plywood - sandwiched between the paired 2x12's. Glued and screwed together. The cross members - 4x4 pressure treated timbers. I used steel gussets to tie the 4x4's to the main beams. The decking - 5/4 tongue and grove exterior grade plywood. The paint - a mix of all the leftover latex paint I had.

The deck is 8' by 12'. I had a local welding shop make the ten stake pockets.
View attachment 840352
Very nice build. Something similar would be perfect for my use. Thanks for sharing.

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build #29  
I take the grandkids for hay rides on a little 4x8 tilt bed that I keep at the camp for firewood and shale hauling.
Low to the ground and holds plenty of little ones. Basically drive walking speed through the woods.

/ Hay Ride Wagon Build #30  
I take the grandkids for hay rides on a little 4x8 tilt bed that I keep at the camp for firewood and shale hauling.
Low to the ground and holds plenty of little ones. Basically drive walking speed through the woods.

I’m very similar. I use a 5x8 trailer filled with hay bales. Kids have a blast.