How many still have a Landline in their home?

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #221  
Still have one. Almost year ago switched it to digital when we switched to a local internet company dropping unreliable and slooooooooooow Verizon. Use it as the business number to weed out the crap posting on Craigslist and such . Put our hay prices on it. Use it for all appointment numbers. People don’t need my cell.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #222  
It's impressive how services like Pacific Telephone, now part of AT&T, have maintained their reliability over the years, providing consistent communication even in challenging situations. This highlights the importance of having diverse communication options available, especially in areas prone to natural disasters.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #223  
When Fiber Optic was installed the phone company pulled their hardware, so landline is no longer available here. VOIP is available from the fiber if you don't have a cell phone.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #224  
It's impressive how services like Pacific Telephone, now part of AT&T, have maintained their reliability over the years, providing consistent communication even in challenging situations. This highlights the importance of having diverse communication options available, especially in areas prone to natural disasters.
Yep, and reading this thread kinda makes me regret pulling the plug on the LL. Once it's gone you probably can't get another one.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #225  
Yep, and reading this thread kinda makes me regret pulling the plug on the LL. Once it's gone you probably can't get another one.
A lot of similarities.... between LLs, and pre-emission diesels....

Rgds, D.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #226  
I'm a little late to the party but yes, I still have my LL, cell phone is hit and miss out my way. Sometimes I have to stand on the roof to get a good signal, at 81 I'm not doing that anymore. ;)

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #227  
I'm a little late to the party but yes, I still have my LL, cell phone is hit and miss out my way. Sometimes I have to stand on the roof to get a good signal, at 81 I'm not doing that anymore. ;)
Your comment reminded me of messing with rabbit-ears, on old TVs :) ....

Dad has been gone a long time.... if I'd told him that I'd have to stand on the roof to make a phone-call, his next question would have been "Been Drinking ?".

Progress :cool:.

Rgds, D.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #228  
Mom and her neighbors have had the same landlines and phone numbers for 50-60+ years.

I still have my landline with DSL which was the only internet working when power was off for days at a time due to the California Wild Fires...

It was interesting looking at area WiFi and one by one they disappeared and then most of the cell towers went down too.

Good old Pacific Telephone now ATT didn't miss a beat...
My wife and I live on an island. In order to get internet we must have a land line because the only internet provider requires the subscriber to get a land line in order to get internet. Cable is not available for us. Satellite is available but it is more expensive and slower. Cell phones don't work where we live. Visitors constantly complain about our crummy cell service. At least we don't need to worry about those pesky cell phone signals giving us cancer. Except I got stage 4 prostate cancer anyway only 1 year after my previous blood test. It musta been those trips over to the mainland via the ferry that caused the cancer. All those guys that had been deprived of cell phone use. Once they get on the ferry and their phones work they blasted my prostate with phone calls. Probably asking the doctor about their PSA test results.
Eric

/ How many still have a Landline in their home?
Sorry to hear that and hope you come through with flying colors.

I'm not on an Island in South Sound but also no cell.

It magically vanishes when you turn down my gravel drive???

They were going to install a cell site on the fire department communication tower not far away but the community uproar quashed that.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #230  
When Fiber Optic was installed the phone company pulled their hardware, so landline is no longer available here. VOIP is available from the fiber if you don't have a cell phone.
The phone company here left the copper lines in place, in fact they still use that for the "final mile". If you get internet from them it's DSL. Even the cable company uses copper for that last mile connection. Not sure why.

Depending on where you live, those copper cables can be quite old. The insulation gets flakey and water gets in. Not cost effective to replace them, so even if you didn't drop them eventually you'd be outta luck. And the trunk lines have been fiber for decades so there are no true landlines as we knew them from the days of Ma Bell.