Hydro or Gear?

/ Hydro or Gear? #91  
Thanks Threepoint

I can feather the clutch easily for a foot or two, which is the most that me or anyone else will need to get close to something. Yes I can do it for more that a foot but I really doubt there is a need for that.

But lets be real here, is there really a need for that speed? I seriously doubt it. Yes you can do it for a video, but you won't really do it everyday. Most likely you'll just coast slowly.

The only real advantage on a HST over a Geared tractor is just the speed you change between forward and reverse and vice versa.

I have a 3pt trencher. It requires going a steady couple feet per minute. Takes a gentile foot with a HST, impossible with a gear machine (unless it's got a SUPER low gearbox like a ditch witch).

It's also super nice for positioning my post hole digger on steep hills (or positioning anything precisely anywhere for that matter). Doable with a lot of effort on a gear machine most of the time, but takes a lot if effort & clutch life.

/ Hydro or Gear? #92  
The only real advantage on a HST over a Geared tractor is just the speed you change between forward and reverse and vice versa.

Or when you are inching up to something to hook up to the three point,
or when you are snow blowing and want to go slow when the drifts are high and fast when there is only a light layer of snow,
or when your lawn has thicker and thinner areas that can use different speeds,
or when you are shaving off a layer of dirt with your front end loader and transporting it somewhere else,
or when you are using the loader to lift rafters onto building walls and you need to maneuver slowly and carefully,
or anywhere you want to move slowly and carefully without being on the clutch for an extended length of time,
or...... I'm sure I've missed a bunch yet but I hope you get the picture.

Yes these jobs can all be done with other transmissions but an HST is easier. If the "whine" bothers you that much then by all means don't buy an HST.

/ Hydro or Gear? #93  
Or when you are inching up to something to hook up to the three point,
or when you are snow blowing and want to go slow when the drifts are high and fast when there is only a light layer of snow,
or when your lawn has thicker and thinner areas that can use different speeds,
or when you are shaving off a layer of dirt with your front end loader and transporting it somewhere else,
or when you are using the loader to lift rafters onto building walls and you need to maneuver slowly and carefully,
or anywhere you want to move slowly and carefully without being on the clutch for an extended length of time,
or...... I'm sure I've missed a bunch yet but I hope you get the picture.

Yes these jobs can all be done with other transmissions but an HST is easier. If the "whine" bothers you that much then by all means don't buy an HST.

As I pointed out before, I have nothing against HST and wouldn't mind at all trying one. It's not me complaining about the whining. I don't mind it and some gear tractors will also whine a bit.

CUTs here are used hard in farming, land clearing, pulling huge loads of logs and much more, therefore HST just ain't gonna cut it and it's not available here. Maybe by a special order but that's a very remote option.

It's very common for a 40 or 50 HP tractor to pull a 16" Bottom plow full depth in hard clay in Medium range and probably 2nd or 3rd gear. Can a HST tractor do it? Yes, but most likely in low range and in a very slow pace with lots of noise, if that's a problem.

It's just that some people put HST on such an high pedestal, leaving a feeling for the distracted readers that there is an huge difference on what one transmission can do versus the other. When in reality that is not true.

/ Hydro or Gear? #94  
Did you watch my video? Tell me a gear tractor can move that slowly
A gear tractor can move that slowly. There, I told you...

YES, at idle my gear tractor will go that slow in the lowest creep gear and I have THREE tractors with creep trans...

SR

/ Hydro or Gear? #95  
I had a Kubota HST and would highly recommend it, now that I'm using a JD HST I think gear would be nicer. The JD has a lot louder whine and only 2 gears instead of 3 like the Kubota had. So to answer your question: It depends on the specific tractor. One thing to keep in mind also is if you ever have a knee injury the HST will keep you on your tractor.

/ Hydro or Gear? #96  
I haven't read anything about longevity in this thread. Which system is more durable over time?

/ Hydro or Gear? #97  
I haven't read anything about longevity in this thread. Which system is more durable over time?

There is no blanket answer. Use patterns and maintenance of the individual machines will provide different results.
I have seen hydrostatic transmissions destroyed in 600 hours because they had the original filter and were run hot.
I have seen gear drive tractors delivered on Friday and winched on the truck Monday with the clutch torn out because of ignorance.
I have seen many examples of both types give thousands of hours of great service.

/ Hydro or Gear? #98  
Ok Folks i have an old Ford Hydro Subcompact but looking at upgrading to a new Kubota L2501. Just can't decide on the trans. What do you think? Leaning towards teh Hydro but I like to old style Gear also. Thanks!

Definitely HST. Nothing else is as safe, particularly on hills and uneven surfaces where you need instant movement change without possibility of killing the engine.

Only buy gear unless you're doing LOTS of plowing or long runs with an implement. Even on those long runs, it would be better to have HST in event of a problem requiring quick speed change. Think only for plowing. Who plows any more? No till is the thing.

Ralph

/ Hydro or Gear? #99  
Definitely HST. Nothing else is as safe, particularly on hills and uneven surfaces where you need instant movement change without possibility of killing the engine.

Only buy gear unless you're doing LOTS of plowing or long runs with an implement. Even on those long runs, it would be better to have HST in event of a problem requiring quick speed change. Think only for plowing. Who plows any more? No till is the thing.

Ralph
What???? Guess I must really live on the edge, only been driving gear tractors for 55 years without mishap. Have 5 tractors, 4 gear drive and one hydro, that sums up my opinion.

/ Hydro or Gear? #100  
I much prefer geared tractors over hydros.
I have been using a clutch for 60 years and just don't care for a hydro.
I load sand into a sander in the bed of a pickup during the winter,
that involves getting quite close to the side of the bed, so far no dents in the bed from the tractor.
Depending on whats going on I may be backing up to hitch up a wagon more then a dozen times a day,
and with implement draw bars only a half inch or less to work with. Unless it has an adjustable tongue.
I see absolutely no safety advantage for hydro over gear, actually a conventional full gear tractor which can be parked in low gear
on a hill is safer then relying on a parking brake or pawl on the service brakes.