Hydro or Gear?

/ Hydro or Gear? #101  
Definitely HST. Nothing else is as safe, particularly on hills and uneven surfaces where you need instant movement change without possibility of killing the engine.

Only buy gear unless you're doing LOTS of plowing or long runs with an implement. Even on those long runs, it would be better to have HST in event of a problem requiring quick speed change. Think only for plowing. Who plows any more? No till is the thing.

Ralph
Another hilarious answer right there!!! Where do you guys come up with that stuff!! HA HA HA

SR

/ Hydro or Gear? #102  
I'm a gear head as my last two tractors were geared. My current one is a hydro. The hydro was bought because my wife will be using it in the future. On the steep hills, I much preferred my geared tractors.

/ Hydro or Gear? #103  
There is no blanket answer. Use patterns and maintenance of the individual machines will provide different results.
I have seen hydrostatic transmissions destroyed in 600 hours because they had the original filter and were run hot.
I have seen gear drive tractors delivered on Friday and winched on the truck Monday with the clutch torn out because of ignorance.
I have seen many examples of both types give thousands of hours of great service.

Very good, thx . It's good to know that the HST system can be durable if maintained. It would be difficult for me to change from gears and a clutch, however.

/ Hydro or Gear? #104  
I have both and like having both. Advantages to both, disadvantages to both. Power shuttle gear is my favorite for most things, no foot clutching. For fine movements there is nothing like an HST.

/ Hydro or Gear? #105  
I have both and like having both. Advantages to both, disadvantages to both. Power shuttle gear is my favorite for most things, no foot clutching. For fine movements there is nothing like an HST.

I'm the same. Power shuttle is my favorite... Power shift through the gears coupled with Power shuttle for Forward & Reverse is better yet. With that you have a simpler, durable, less expensive mechanical system with direct drive plus the option for foot clutching for small movements & starting out. Best of all both worlds.
And gear or power shift would definitely be my choice if buying a used tractor with medium or higher hours.

However, right now I have one of each type and all of them can do any work just fine. I will say that the old floor shift straight gear tractor that has to be shifted and clutched between every gear is definitely a workout when doing loader work. I wouldn't want that for loader work if doing it for a living. On the other hand, I'm not doing it for a living......and when mowing, disc work or any constant speed job it is the best of the group.
rScotty

/ Hydro or Gear? #106  
If I needed a midsize CUT and the cost was only an annoyance I would have a Kubota with GST. Full power shift with hydraulic reverser.

/ Hydro or Gear? #107  
What???? Guess I must really live on the edge, only been driving gear tractors for 55 years without mishap. Have 5 tractors, 4 gear drive and one hydro, that sums up my opinion.

Amen... I got rid of my Kubota B series tractor because I hated the HST. Gear all the way!

/ Hydro or Gear? #108  
I'm the same. Power shuttle is my favorite... Power shift through the gears coupled with Power shuttle for Forward & Reverse is better yet. With that you have a simpler, durable, less expensive mechanical system with direct drive plus the option for foot clutching for small movements & starting out. Best of all both worlds.
And gear or power shift would definitely be my choice if buying a used tractor with medium or higher hours.

However, right now I have one of each type and all of them can do any work just fine. I will say that the old floor shift straight gear tractor that has to be shifted and clutched between every gear is definitely a workout when doing loader work. I wouldn't want that for loader work if doing it for a living. On the other hand, I'm not doing it for a living......and when mowing, disc work or any constant speed job it is the best of the group.
rScotty

My two tractors are shuttle shift as well, LOVE THEM. And for fel work, I'd keep up with anyone on an HST.

/ Hydro or Gear? #110  
The best I ever had, was a geared tranny with a hydraulic reverser...That was sweet, pick a gear and go, but if you want to back up...in any gear...jam it in reverse and you are going backwards. It also had a decelerator pedal, which is...well I will just say it...better than sex!

Yep, that good.

But for a tractor, a geared machine is probably best. I even load gravel out of our gravel pit, and I prefer a geared machine. It took us 18 years and 2800 hours before we had to replace the clutch on ours, but good gracious, a person would spend more money on filters all those years then they would on a clutch replacement. But for most people, they would never get to that point anyway before they traded it in for a different one.