Hydro or Gear?

/ Hydro or Gear? #81  
What are you doing with your loader that requires that much precision? Inserting coins on vending machines or something? :laughing:

Hah, I wish I did! Imagine pulling up to the vending machine with a loader!

As for what I do these days....I do a lot of rock work and some grading... Building rock walls and setting stones into the ground as pathways. Pavillions and Patios....All ornamental landscape stuff - and often it ends up being done very close to buildings or along steep places. That's why I'm a bug on precision and carefully inching into position right now.

I've done some constuction in the past and will again, but not at the moment. And before that, general farm labor.

I've been lucky with manual clutches on my machines, and always seem to have on that works very well. But I've used others that were grabby and no good for anything more than go/nogo. Same with torque converters - but there I haven't been so lucky. Mine have always been a bit grabby. Like in the 310.

I haven't tried that new type of transmission that Yanmar has out - the "Vario" Integrated Hydro Mechanical Transmission (i-HMT), but am looking forward to trying it and hearing more about it. Yanmar has a history of being innovative & bringing out new drive systems that later become popular.
There's a good picture of it at: Drive Like a king with the Unique “Vario” Transmission on the New YT3 tractors|PRODUCT|Y MEDIA|About YANMAR|YANMAR

rScotty

/ Hydro or Gear? #82  
What are you doing with your loader that requires that much precision? Inserting coins on vending machines or something? :laughing:
Lastnight I was pulling the toneau cover off & putting a truck box in. Used the forks to save may back. Thought nothing of getting forks within inches of the truck while on a hill. No way I'd have done that with a geared machine & I do that all the time loading & unloading junk. I've driven crashboxes, GST & PowerShift. They all have their strengths but the HST is the easiest to use for anybody skilled or not & the most precise.

/ Hydro or Gear? #83  
Lastnight I was pulling the toneau cover off & putting a truck box in. Used the forks to save may back. Thought nothing of getting forks within inches of the truck while on a hill. No way I'd have done that with a geared machine & I do that all the time loading & unloading junk.
That kind of thing happens all the time around here, with gear drive loader tractors, NO "loader" dents in my pickups, so don't assume you need a whiner tranny to avoid "operator error"...

SR

/ Hydro or Gear? #84  
Lastnight I was pulling the toneau cover off & putting a truck box in. Used the forks to save may back. Thought nothing of getting forks within inches of the truck while on a hill. No way I'd have done that with a geared machine & I do that all the time loading & unloading junk. I've driven crashboxes, GST & PowerShift. They all have their strengths but the HST is the easiest to use for anybody skilled or not & the most precise.

Some people can handle clutches, other just can't at all... Now that a geared tractor can't be as precise is simply not true...

/ Hydro or Gear? #85  
Some people can handle clutches, other just can't at all... Now that a geared tractor can't be as precise is simply not true...

Did you watch my video? Tell me a gear tractor can move that slowly

/ Hydro or Gear? #86  
It is hilarious isn't it how people come on here and ask questions like "gear or hydro", start a discussion that goes on for years and they have long disappeared into the sunset to never be heard from again. Are they here as a part of this "discussion"? Nope. They got disgusted with the back and forth a long time ago and left. There is NO consensus on "gear vs. hydro". or "which tire is best?" or which orange brand is best :) And everyone knows that green/yellow paint is not only the best but the most expensive. too!. Ah, isn't it fun?.

/ Hydro or Gear? #87  
Did you watch my video? Tell me a gear tractor can move that slowly

Where is the video so I can watch it.

/ Hydro or Gear? #88  
   / Hydro or Gear? #89  
Thanks Threepoint :thumbsup:

I can feather the clutch easily for a foot or two, which is the most that me or anyone else will need to get close to something. Yes I can do it for more that a foot but I really doubt there is a need for that.

But lets be real here, is there really a need for that speed? I seriously doubt it. Yes you can do it for a video, but you won't really do it everyday. Most likely you'll just coast slowly.

The only real advantage on a HST over a Geared tractor is just the speed you change between forward and reverse and vice versa.

/ Hydro or Gear? #90  
Thanks Threepoint

I can feather the clutch easily for a foot or two, which is the most that me or anyone else will need to get close to something. Yes I can do it for more that a foot but I really doubt there is a need for that.

But lets be real here, is there really a need for that speed? I seriously doubt it. Yes you can do it for a video, but you won't really do it everyday. Most likely you'll just coast slowly.

The only real advantage on a HST over a Geared tractor is just the speed you change between forward and reverse and vice versa.

Going that slow isn’t much of an advantage but the precision of the HST is a huge advantage for most compact tractor work. Being able to easily change the speed to any speed is another nice advantage. What advantage does gear offer in a compact tractor? Yea it’s been well established they’re more efficient for field work but compact tractors on this side of the pond don’t do field work.