I figured a few here would get a kick out if this.

/ I figured a few here would get a kick out if this. #31  
I have to admit, I don't know, but feel comfortable assuming, that cart shouldn't be going 65 under any circumstances. It just seems unlikely the drivetrain and tires etc. are designed to handle it.

/ I figured a few here would get a kick out if this. #32  
I think I read all the posts, didn't notice anywhere mentioned if that 9000+ lbs cart has any brakes on it. If no brakes then my biggest question would be what if anything jumps/turns/stops in front of this rig going 55-60 mph??
If the tow vehicle has ABS brakes it will eventually stop without losing control by skidding but will it stop before plowing through whatever caused the panic?

/ I figured a few here would get a kick out if this. #33  
Yikes!.. laminated tires no less. I see a few school bus convert jobs around here too, usually only pulling landscape style trailers though. Now and then on backroads you see hay rakes and other towable implements behind trucks.. but they are usually at least half or 3/4 ton trucks.. or older HD farm trucks... that batwing train that passed you would have made a neat pic!

soundguy

One of my competitors uses old school buses as service vehicles. He equips them with a bed and an RV toilet so they qualify (loosely) as an RV. That way his non-CDL owning help can drive. He pulls TWO batwings in a train behind the bus as they move from job to job. One day I was heading back home from "the big city". I was moving along @ 70(+)mph on the interstate when I get PASSED by a turquoise painted school bus pulling a pair of Bush Hog 2715 batwings, w/laminated rubber tires, driver, obviously from "south of the Rio Grande" smiling away.

At that moment, I vowed NEVER AGAIN would I try to compete with this guy as far as equipment and personel goes. ;)

/ I figured a few here would get a kick out if this. #35  
Where is that thread awhile back about pulling the manure spreader home. Maybe we could set up a race, lol!

I don't see that a grain cart at excessive speed is any big deal vs the number of idiots driving down the road with their two thumbs tapping away sending text messages to some other idiot that more than likely are totally meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

I can recall more than one instance of being on the shoulder trying to avoid said idiot and non for a grain cart.

/ I figured a few here would get a kick out if this. #36  
I would not say that it was safe but at 45 mph and it is a small 500-800bu cart as the big 1000+bu cart you would need a 2ton to pull empty. I did see a semi pulling 2 of these coming back from the farm progress show last week and they were alot bigger but they did have tail lights.
My uncle has a small fleet of large wagons that hold about 750 bu (ussually only put 675 on them)and they have brakes and taillights, but you can't even pull them with a pickup when there loaded as you wouldn't be able to get on the scales at the elevator. Empty though you can pull them at a pretty good pace (35mph+)on a smooth flat roads.

/ I figured a few here would get a kick out if this. #37  
Hang around in the grain belt in central Illinois and you will see machines and impliments a lot bigger than that going down the road. Powerstorke has it right. That is a small wagon for around these parts. You will see impliment dealers delivering all kinds of machinery in the next few months in ways we consider very normal.

Dan
West of Decatur

/ I figured a few here would get a kick out if this. #38  
A friend who owns a J&M grain cart just identified that as a model 525-14. J&M's website says it's less than 6300lbs empty. (950lbs tongue weight)

/ I figured a few here would get a kick out if this. #40  
I'd wager he is "theorhetically" ok towing that cart at that speed. The tires may be limited to 25 MPH or so, but that MPH rating is probably at max capacity. He probably has a good amount of safety margin with the tires with only 9,000 lbs or so on them. (thats combined, so 4500 lbs each)

I don't think I would dare to tow that thing at those speeds, because things look like they could get bad quick if it did start to sway or have a tire failure. I'm also doubting there are any kind or breaks on that thing. If any, I would guess hydraulic?

Do you have any idea how long he towed that thing for along the highway?

****, maybe he figured it would be safer to travel with the speed of traffic for a few miles than become a moving roadblock at 25 mph?