I got a dump truck! How does it work?

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #71  
Your ears are pretty good! It's got an 8.something Detroit turbo in it.
8.2L Fuel Pincher? They were a GM diesel. Not regarded as the best.
Those were some dark days in Ford history where their Class 7 trucks wwere powered by GM diesel engines and GM Allison automatic transmissions.

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work?
At least it's a manual then. 🤷‍♂️

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #73  
The standard electric drum brakes with drag magnets are pretty lacking for heavy loads. They work good enough when they’re brand new but they don’t wear in very good.
Thats what i meant. And when youre in a densely populated country, which means mostly city driving, with city drivers cutting you off, you want to feel secure.

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #74  
I agree that Europe embraces air brakes more than US, but we have a LOT of air brakes on trucks here. Trailers, too.
I just wish they’d use air brakes on more Ag equipment here. My baler is made by Krone (Germany) and the US versions they export to here are hydraulic brakes. My bigger tractors have air brakes, because they came from Europe (even though they are American brands) but trying to get a large square baler over here with air brakes is difficult. They are finally becoming available, but VERY expensive when new.
True, since a year or two, the EU mother regulation took effect with regards to brake pedal force versus stopping power. More or less every farm tractor has air brakes as standard now. Costs a bit but saves lives as everything runs 50kmh and may weigh up to 60 ton (though some weigh 75 ton loaded, i have no idea why contractors would buy such large tankers which make them sell the farm to pay for damages when they get into a serious accident)

Wish we could get those DAF or SCANIA, TATRA, or Magirus trucks here.
Tatra are on wildfire duty in several US states for some 20 years. There was even a company TatraUSA trying the commercial market, but they didnt succeed. Maybe they should strike a deal with Paccar, as Paccar daughter Daf owns a 19% stake in Tatra and sells them through their dealers in Western Europe.

Last edited:
   / I got a dump truck! How does it work? #75  
My bigger tractors have air brakes, because they came from Europe (even though they are American brands) but trying to get a large square baler over here with air brakes is difficult. They are finally becoming available, but VERY expensive when new.
My mate has ordered a brand new selfloading silage wagon for season 2024. He ordered it with combi boosters so he can pull it with both tractors as only one has air brakes.

Often, new farm trailers with air brakes have ABS, EBS stability aid, and off course load dependent brake force, which means big rig like stopping power without smoking your tires when driving unloaded. Thats why we converted those electric brake horse trailer 5th wheels to European S-cam drum brakes with automatic slack adjusters (like a ratchet wrench, but with limited free return stroke) and air brakes with all the comfort of ALB, ABS, EBS which perform in every condition, loaded or unloaded, on tarmac or on ice, regardless of brake wear. As long as there is some brake lining left, it will brake reliably.
(To be honest, i cant understand why somebody who has driven both and is in their right mind, can even compare electric brakes with air brakes with ALB, ABS, EBS air brakes like we have standard here...? Back in 2007 we adopted Knorr EBS as standard on our light 5th wheel trailers behind Mercedes Sprinter and the such, as Knorr was the only supplier with a 12V ABS/ESP computer intended for the North American market because European big rigs are standard 24V. So you guys must know what i'm talking about, right ?)
The Netherlands is like 1/16th the size of the USA, but ranks 2nd in the world to the US for Ag production. Thats really amazing. They know their stuff and need to be acknowledged for their farming skills. It’s a damn shame what their government is doing to their farmers.

We rank no 2 in exports, not in produce. Thats because we are in one climatic zone only, unlike the US, Germany or France which can have vineries in the south and grain plains up north. We export a lot of flowers and dairy like cheese, and import anything that needs more sun, from countries like spain. We are kind of a one trick pony, if you take California as a country, you will see it exporting a lot of grapes and wine, yet importing a lot of grain and dairy, i guess...?

Furthermore, a lot of grain and coffee and cocoa from North and South America shipped into Rotterdam sea port (the 2nd largest port in the world) gets pre processed in Holland and put through towards the rest of Europe through the Meuse (Belgium, France) and Rhine (Germany, Austria) rivers. Once preprocessed it is counted as export instead of throughput...

Last edited:
I have moved many, many loads with the truck so far. It's developing an issue. I didn't notice until it got pretty bad but the clutch peddle has developed a lot of play and does not disengage the clutch until the peddle is on the floor. It is a mechanical linkage that runs straight down through the floor.

Can anyone give me a starting place? I was so tired and hot yesterday when I noticed it that I didn't have it in me to crawl under the truck to do much investigation. Please tell me there is a linkage that can be adjusted...

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #77  
The linkage should not need to be adjusted unless someone has already moved it. The clutch needs adjusted not the linkage. On the bottom of the bellhousing it has a inspection cover its probably missing. Bump the engine around till the adjuster is straight down and adjust the clutch. It could have a lock that has to be removed just according to the style clutch. But to adjuste have someone hold it to the floor or get a bar and hold the pedal down and adjust the clutch. Adjust it till you have about a 1/2" free play.

I'll check that out, thanks for the advice.

/ I got a dump truck! How does it work? #79  
I have moved many, many loads with the truck so far. It's developing an issue. I didn't notice until it got pretty bad but the clutch peddle has developed a lot of play and does not disengage the clutch until the peddle is on the floor. It is a mechanical linkage that runs straight down through the floor.

Can anyone give me a starting place? I was so tired and hot yesterday when I noticed it that I didn't have it in me to crawl under the truck to do much investigation. Please tell me there is a linkage that can be adjusted...
So sorry you were hot and tired. The rest of us were cool and well rested.
Have a look at the linkage underneath and decide for yourself. 1-2" of Free Travel should be about right.

I'm lost now... what do i adjust? It looks like the allrod of the linkage is clean on the ends. Maybe try to tighten that a bit i guess?
16909337645878662193582023723407.jpg

20230801_184813.jpg