I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go?

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #21  
open a window and close the door behind you. he will find his way out.
Not that anyone cares here but it is illegal to kill them so I would not tell anyone if you did.

My wife woke me up one night saying she was hearing something. Turned on the light and a bat was flying around our ceiling fan in sync with a blade. That was just about 4 or 5 feet above our heads while we slept. yuck!

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #22  
I opened the patio door hoping a bat would fly out but he didn't. Then I saw the vert blinds turned 'half-open' and thought he'd see/detect the whole wall as vague. As soon as I closed/flattened the blinds he flew right out the now more 'distinct' opening.

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #23  
Unfortunately, we've been through this several times and once the entire family had to get rabies shots because we let the bat go instead of capturing it and having it tested for rabies.

Rabies, while extremely rare to contract, is statistically 100% fatal.

So, some notes on catching bats.

Bats can't take off from the ground. That's why they appear to be dead or injured when down on the ground. They flop around on the ground because they have to climb up higher to be able to drop or jump down to gain some air speed to then fly.

Get some heavy leather gloves and a tupperware-type container. Slap it off the wall with a broom if you can. Pretty hard. It should knock it down and you should be able to grasp it with the gloves and put it in the tupperware. Don't kill it and freeze it. That damages the brain that has to be examined for rabies lesions. Take it to your local place to have it tested.

If that doesn't work, as others have said, a fishing net would work as long as it has small enough mesh. A bat can get through pretty small spaces.

We keep a butterfly net by the back door for bugs and bats. Works great. Kinda out of season right now, but that's what we use.
Why would rabies be a concern if nobody was bitten by the bat? That’s the only way it is transmitted.

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #24  
Why would rabies be a concern if nobody was bitten by the bat? That’s the only way it is transmitted.
Several years ago a child in my area died from rabies after getting bit by a bat. Why would you wait to get bit before disposing of a bat in your house.

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #25  
No one said they'd wait until bitten, but we may wonder why test for rabies if nobody was. I wasn't bitten and didn't have to kill the bat. I mean they're not like mice or spiders, IIRC both leading causes of heart attacks. ;)

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #26  
No one said they'd wait until bitten, but we may wonder why test for rabies if nobody was. I wasn't bitten and didn't have to kill the bat. I mean they're not like mice or spiders, IIRC both leading causes of heart attacks. ;)
:LOL::LOL:
Probably not all of us know, that bats are seeking places for hibernation. If there are many of them around, there may be not enough such places in the nature. That's why they are coming closer to the people or to the abandoned houses to find warmer places.

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #27  
Yeah, sorry. Not here. We don't have bats here anyway, not that I've ever seen flying around anyway, but if one got in our house it would be pellet gun time and bye-bye bat.

They're all well and good and welcome to the outside world with no ill will from me. But once they cross that threshold into my house, they have chosen their demise.

Pellet gun and a garbage can.

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #28  
Several years ago a child in my area died from rabies after getting bit by a bat. Why would you wait to get bit before disposing of a bat in your house.
I was reacting to people talking about getting rabies shots, but nobody was bitten. Yes, most of us would want to remove a bat from the house.

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #29  
I would prefer to release it outside unharmed and have done so in the past; over the course of a night a bat will eat it's own weight in bugs. A fishing net works well for catching him, as others have mentioned. I then would figure out how it got inside; the OP has already stated that it probably flew in through the door.

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #30  
A few reasons.

First, most people cannot tell if they've been bitten or not, as bat teeth are so small and sharp and leave a very small, almost un-detectable bite.

Second, it doesn't have to bit you. Its saliva is what carries the virus. If that saliva gets into your eye, nose or mouth as it flies over you, you can be infected.

Likewise, if it's saliva gets into a hangnail or other open wound.

Third, if you are asleep in a room where a bat is present, you'd likely never know you were bitten if you were. Nor would you know if the bat was around your mouth or eyes if you're a heavy sleeper.

Fourth, if you have kids in the house, well, same things apply.

Fifth, if you have a pet you'd never know if it had contact with the bat, especially if the bat has been in the house for a few days. If the pet hasn't been vaccinated against rabies, or is out of date, you'd never know if that pet has been exposed.

Sixth, even if your pet (and even you) are vaccinated against rabies, most veterinarians, doctors and health departments recommend your pet (and you) get rabies booster shots if you've been exposed to a rabid (or unknown) animal.

Seventh, rabies can stay dormant in a human for a year before showing any symptoms.

Lastly, once you show symptoms, it's too late. You're going to die.

You'll never know if the bat was rabid if you let it go.

So, again, while the chances of contracting rabies is small, if you do, it's statistically 100% fatal. Only you can decide for yourself if it's worth the risk or not.

Last edited: