I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go?

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #31  
This is one circumstance where you do not remove your 12g Remington from the cabinet...

We had one once, but had two sets of sliding doors so maybe eight feet total between them. I think Mom tried to swipe at it with a broom, but it went straight out.
My neighbor should have read this prior to the sheetrock and romex repair in thier ceiling. Used sometype of semi-automatic shotgun, it was obvious the trigger had been pulled twice.
Vacuumed up all the celulose insulation off the floor for them too. I didn't even crack a smile when I heard her tell the story, it was all serious business. Still get a chuckle out of it.

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #32  
I think he entered in evening while I carried out garbage bags It was just after the door open to take two bags garbage out. Bat slipped in in that short time.

How can I capture the bat and take it out into the trees? the bat doesn't move all day but he high up near ceiling on high part of drapes by window.
Bat moves in evening flying in circles. I open door as it flying. In times before opening door and creatures mostly just fly out. This one will not do that. It's 3 days now and we are getting tired of our guest. I also worry of some germs or disease bat might be carrying. 20 some years ago my daughter had a Bat in House and Bat in at night . her daughter was only few months old. doctors recommended series of shots for everyone in house to protect in case of rabies I believe. In that case health guys said should have captured bast to test it. In our case its just me and my wife.

Anyone have some ideas how to get Bat out? All ideas will be appreciated.

You all Have a Very Happy Healthy & Prosperious New year. BE SAFE...... Coffeeman

I have very successfully used a vacuum cleaner with couple of hose extension pipes, but it was a one way trip for the bat.....

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #33  
OK, it has happened once in 47 years. And here is nothing written, how the girl has got that bite. Maybe she touched a bat by hand or so.
I don't say we need to love the bats. I'm just thinking they may live their life as we do, because they are not a competitor to humans.

In my opinion we are staring to have much more serious invasive enemy around us. It's an Asian giant hornet which IS our competitor. I have had a fight with them last summer/autumn until exterminated their huge nest. They completely destroyed all families of my neighbor's bees. They fed their larvae with bee larvae.

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #34  
OK, it has happened once in 47 years. And here is nothing written, how the girl has got that bite. Maybe she touched a bat by hand or so.
I don't say we need to love the bats. I'm just thinking they may live their life as we do, because they are not a competitor to humans.

In my opinion we are staring to have much more serious invasive enemy around us. It's an Asian giant hornet which IS our competitor. I have had a fight with them last summer/autumn until exterminated their huge nest. They completely destroyed all families of my neighbor's bees. They fed their larvae with bee larvae.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I enjoy having the bats around. They are a very beneficial animals. But with the number of bats that have tested positive for rabies in our area, if one gets in the house, it's getting tested. Sorry bat, but that's the way it is.

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #35  
We used to use sheets. Open door, get behind it with a sheet and move towards the door.
Bats lived in the attic with access through an attached wood shed.
Sometimes would chase bugs through open door.

The sheet worked will the 3 times we did it, neighbors are the ones who told us to do this.
sheet interferes with the radar and I guess makes them want to fly the other way?

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #36  
We used to use sheets. Open door, get behind it with a sheet and move towards the door.
Bats lived in the attic with access through an attached wood shed.
Sometimes would chase bugs through open door.

The sheet worked will the 3 times we did it, neighbors are the ones who told us to do this.
sheet interferes with the radar and I guess makes them want to fly the other way?
Good idea. Sheet probably looks like a wall to them.

What's kinda funny is a bat flying in figure 8's in your living room looks huge. Once you get them caught, and they're sitting there in your gloved hand or a something, most aren't much bigger than a large mouse. And ooooo do they get mad when you have them caught. Little sharp teeth and screeching. Quite the show from the little critters.

I think I'm gonna put up a few bat houses outside this year.

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #37  
Oh, don't get me wrong. I enjoy having the bats around. They are a very beneficial animals. But with the number of bats that have tested positive for rabies in our area, if one gets in the house, it's getting tested. Sorry bat, but that's the way it is.
No, no I don't get you wrong. If there comes a danger of rabies, you need to do something to avoid bat entering into living part of a house. It's a good idea to hang sheet or a piece of plastic mesh in the door or window. Never tried, but it should work.

Last edited:
   / I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #38  
In case it hasn't been posted Batcon has info on their website. Batcon It seems it wasn't that long ago White Nose Syndrome was wiping out thousands of bats. I was no longer cave exploring by that time in my life so it didn't affect me. One popular theroy was the fungus was being spread by cavers on their dirty boots and cave attire.

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #39  
Find all the firecrackers you can get, even some fireworks if you have them. Set them all off at once with a door open.

If your neighbors come over after that ask them if they know how to get rid of a bat.

I put a glass jar over one once to capture it.

/ I have a BAT IN HOUSE Can't hit him. He is always on ceiling How do I get him to go? #40  
No, no I don't get you wrong. If there comes a danger of rabies, you need to do something to avoid bat entering into living part of a house. It's a good idea to hang sheet or a piece of plastic mesh in the door or window. Never tried, but it should work.

Yeah like I do to save baby swallows when they are falling down from the nests. And successfully, since the parents find them in the new house and keep feeding. Until all together fly away.
There is a video if coffeeman wouldn't mind.

We live in a 100+ year old house. The bats don't come in through doors and windows. We have screens on all of them. The bats come in through cracks in the house that we cannot find. It's not the chimney, as we have 1/4" mesh hardware cloth over that. My guess is they come in behind the vinyl siding somewhere under the edge where it meets the sill plate. Behind the vinyl is 1/4" foam board, and behind that wood shingle siding. We also get mice in the house several times per year. If mice can get in, so can bats.

Plus, our house has balloon construction. The walls are hollow from basement to attic. If a bat got into the attic, it could find it's way down through the walls into the basement, then fly up into the main living area. All kinds of places.