Idiots overloading trailers.

/ Idiots overloading trailers. #31  
Since I got my trailer earlier this year I have been out of the trailer shopping game. But still see them on marketplace all the time for sale.

Back when I was trailer shopping.....I noticed a lot of people would often say things like "I haul (insert equipment here) no problem"

Look up specs on equipment and realize they are basically advertising/bragging about always overloading the trailer.

As a potential buyer.....big deal breaker.

Here is the latest example. ~7800# mini on a 5-lug (7k most likely) trailer with maybe a 5k capacity.

But hey....what's a little more than 50% overloaded anyway

View attachment 838341
You can have a 5lug 10k trailer, but more common on the 3500lb axel. I agree it doesn't look good and a good point to look for that but the reality is most people overload their trailer so if you are the type of guy who doesn't do that buy NEW. To me this is a 7000lb trailer caring a 6358lb excavator there is a 2:1 safety factor on these axel so good to go no problem ... Yeah a 10000lb would be better but the tires are not even bulging... I've done worse then that, I've put 5000lb full loader bucket 3 yard of gravel in a 3500lb trailer once, the rims was almost on the asphalt with 60lb of air in it, he didn't like it but everything survived.

/ Idiots overloading trailers.
You can have a 5lug 10k trailer, but more common on the 3500lb axel. I agree it doesn't look good and a good point to look for that but the reality is most people overload their trailer so if you are the type of guy who doesn't do that buy NEW. To me this is a 7000lb trailer caring a 6358lb excavator there is a 2:1 safety factor on these axel so good to go no problem ... Yeah a 10000lb would be better but the tires are not even bulging... I've done worse then that, I've put 5000lb full loader bucket 3 yard of gravel in a 3500lb trailer once, the rims was almost on the asphalt with 60lb of air in it, he didn't like it but everything survived.
No its a 7k trailer. I asked the guy. Said he used to have a smaller 17-class mini excavator (~3500-4000lb)

He bought the 35, which is not 6358#. More like 7700-7800. He said the upgrade excavator is why he is selling the 7k trailer because he bought a 14k.

I wasnt interested in the trailer at all, just advised him that it isnt a good look to advertise it with the ONLY picture of him grossly overloading the trailer.

And I do NOT believe axles have a 2:1 safety margin regardless of what anyone says. Sure, maybe a static load. But I have seen and replaced far too many bent 7k axles than I can count on trailers for my buddies landscape company. And yes, they often overload them....but no where close to 2:1. And when I say overloaded, I am talking maybe 6-7t on a 14k dump. Or a 8k machine + 3000# pallet of pavers on a 14k equipment trailer. Or 4 pallets (12k) on same equipment trailer.

The dynamics of going down the road, and turning/backing. With the logic of 2:1 safety margin, one would think nothing should bend/break unless you exceeded 20k on a 14k trailer (listed 10k-11k capacity) And that just aint reality though.

I know many people overload their trailers. And I have probably been guilty too. The whole point though was advertising the trailer for sale with it obviously overloaded....and that being the only pic. I would have at least taken the time to unload the trailer so it doesnt scream of trailer-abuse

/ Idiots overloading trailers. #33  
No its a 7k trailer. I asked the guy. Said he used to have a smaller 17-class mini excavator (~3500-4000lb)

He bought the 35, which is not 6358#. More like 7700-7800. He said the upgrade excavator is why he is selling the 7k trailer because he bought a 14k.

I wasnt interested in the trailer at all, just advised him that it isnt a good look to advertise it with the ONLY picture of him grossly overloading the trailer.

And I do NOT believe axles have a 2:1 safety margin regardless of what anyone says. Sure, maybe a static load. But I have seen and replaced far too many bent 7k axles than I can count on trailers for my buddies landscape company. And yes, they often overload them....but no where close to 2:1. And when I say overloaded, I am talking maybe 6-7t on a 14k dump. Or a 8k machine + 3000# pallet of pavers on a 14k equipment trailer. Or 4 pallets (12k) on same equipment trailer.

The dynamics of going down the road, and turning/backing. With the logic of 2:1 safety margin, one would think nothing should bend/break unless you exceeded 20k on a 14k trailer (listed 10k-11k capacity) And that just aint reality though.

I know many people overload their trailers. And I have probably been guilty too. The whole point though was advertising the trailer for sale with it obviously overloaded....and that being the only pic. I would have at least taken the time to unload the trailer so it doesnt scream of trailer-abuse
all good and valid points... I wasn't insinuate all trailers can get loaded twice the listed weight but they do get design for 2:1 weight but only the first one get actually tested... the rest off the production line dose not... at least it is my understanding.

Last edited:
   / Idiots overloading trailers. #34  
This is about a 10 ton machine. I guess technically it means it should fit on that 7000 lb landscaping trailer. Notice the fenders are driven into the tops of thee tires, which is probably why they are flat.

Edit; Dodge Man posted while I was looking the weight up. :thumbsup"
I like how the only visible chain is just laying under the track and they didn’t tie off the ramps to the load :ROFLMAO:

/ Idiots overloading trailers. #35  
There's NO WAY I would put a D3 on this trailer,

tractor-Case-04-99-450-crawler.jpg

and it has two 6K axles under it.

I have a trailer with three 6K axles under it, and I wouldn't care to haul a D3 on it either.

SR

/ Idiots overloading trailers. #36  
I like how the only visible chain is just laying under the track and they didn’t tie off the ramps to the load :ROFLMAO:
He did one step better... slapped the track and said "That ain't going anywhere".
It worked, too. Looking at the tires, that trailer isn't moving.

/ Idiots overloading trailers. #37  
Got a local loser here with a firewood business. Saw him once going down the Trans Canada Highway with his lifted single rear wheel pickup (with bald racing slicks) pulling his tandem dump trailer, loaded beyond belief with firewood, MISSING A REAR WHEEL axle chained up.

Meanwhile the Ministry of Transportation (our DOT) is too busy chasing truckers with a burnt out marker light.

/ Idiots overloading trailers. #38  
I would be much more worried about the tire max load at speed versus the axle rating

/ Idiots overloading trailers. #39  
The one with the dozer on it says Big Tex, it must be strong enough.
It sure is: It's even has the custom angled tongue included, no charge.👍

/ Idiots overloading trailers. #40  
The backwoods alternative to buying a drop hitch?