Security & Theft Ignition damaged by thief

/ Ignition damaged by thief #1  

rzinkel

Tractor
John Deere 790
I have a John Deere 790, which I recently purchased, and yesterday a bad person tried to start it without the key and damaged the ignition/key slot so that I can't insert my key to start it. The entire mechanism now seems loose as though maybe he tried to take it apart/out or ??? How do I remedy this? (I'm an older woman and this is my first tractor, so I know next to nothing about them, so please be specific) Is this something I can deal with myself? Since I can't start it I can't take it anywhere :(.

/ Ignition damaged by thief #2  
I would suggest the best option may be to call the local dealer, explain your situation, and have them come out to your property to remedy the issue.

/ Ignition damaged by thief #3  
Sorry for your troubles. The JD790’s are great tractors. If it were me I’d see if a tech from a John Deere dealership could come out and give you an estimate for repair.

If the JD dealer costs too much then see if a local mechanic can bypass the key ignition switch and install a push button starter switch, perhaps hidden so that next time the thief tries to steal it he can’t figure out how to start it.

/ Ignition damaged by thief #4  
Your homeowners insurance will cover it, less the deductible.

/ Ignition damaged by thief
Our closest JD dealer is in Medford, Oregon which is a 3 hr. RT from here :(

My homeowners insurance specifically says that it covers no vehicles. Even if it did my deductible is hopefully much more than this will cost to repair ($500). At least I sure hope it's no where near that much. The tractor wasn't stolen... he just tried to but didn't succeed.

Thanks. No JD dealers anywhere in the area, but there is a guy who sells other brands and used ones. I may have to go talk with him it's sounding like.

/ Ignition damaged by thief #9  
Any local mechanic should be able to install a switch. The question is how are you going to keep the tractor safe from theft is the POS comes back??

Sorry this happened!!

/ Ignition damaged by thief #10  
If the new switch is plugged in but installed in a more secure location, then it might not happen again. Leave the old switch in the original location for the thieves to play with.