Security & Theft Ignition damaged by thief

/ Ignition damaged by thief #21  
Might consider a "hidden" battery disconnect switch also... POS may come back and try to steal it again, but if he just damages ignition switch (again) you still have tractor and reoccurring headache....

tay-1032_w_ml.jpg

Dale

/ Ignition damaged by thief #22  
I'd double check on the homeowners insurance.
Mine covered the contents of my car when it was broken into on my property overnight.

/ Ignition damaged by thief #23  
My suggestion is to look in John Deere parts (URL provided) and get the part number. Then call greenfarmparts.com or dealer to order. Both can help you with the part number if needed. I have attached the page from tech manual TM1470 on how to replace switch. It is at the bottom of the page. It does not say it in the manual, but you might want to consider disconnecting the negative cable on the battery. Check your owners manual as it may say how to disconnect the battery.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/

You might also check selectmauals.com for the tech manual $24.95

670 770 790 Tractor - TM1470 - SelectManuals.com - Workshop, Repair and Service Manuals

Attachments

• 790 key replacement.pdf
    294 KB · Views: 65
   / Ignition damaged by thief #24  
I have a John Deere 790, which I recently purchased, and yesterday a bad person tried to start it without the key and damaged the ignition/key slot so that I can't insert my key to start it. The entire mechanism now seems loose as though maybe he tried to take it apart/out or ??? How do I remedy this? (I'm an older woman and this is my first tractor, so I know next to nothing about them, so please be specific) Is this something I can deal with myself? Since I can't start it I can't take it anywhere :(.

So mam, sounds like some idiot tried to start your JD with a screwdriver or such . . . buy yourself a new ignition switch (from JD) and install it or have someone do it . . . it really is not that difficult. Your difficult part is your original assailant, hopefully you have and the police . . . figured that out.

/ Ignition damaged by thief #25  
Install is simple. Screw off the front retaining ring and remove from the back. Wiring will be connectors that just unplug. Plug the new ones connectors to the wiring harness, install from the back, install front retaining ring.

Important! Before removing the connectors from the back of the old switch, make/draw a 'wiring diagram' ie: draw the pattern of the 'pins' and what colour/marked wire/connector goes onto that pin.

Do not try to simply remember which goes where... write it down.

/ Ignition damaged by thief #26  
AND disconnect the battery. Phone pics are great too.

/ Ignition damaged by thief #27  
From the pictures of the spare, it's only one connector. Can't be put on incorrectly unless you're the extra special handy type.... :rolleyes:

/ Ignition damaged by thief #28  
Buy a backhoe, and tell the worthless one who has no father that there is a hole with his name on it and and you will make his worthless rear end disappear so quickly that none of his friends will miss him, it makes them think. Also helps to have some cops in the neighborhood with tractors that would help dig the holes.

Effective communication to these facts works as Lane and Marion counties dump all their tweakers here with will not extradite warrants.

David

/ Ignition damaged by thief #29  
From the pictures of the spare, it's only one connector. Can't be put on incorrectly unless you're the extra special handy type.... :rolleyes:

Ahhh. Just had a decko at the advised replacement switch and its single 'jack' connector. Good to go.

When Zebrafive wrote connectors (plural) my Navy electrical/electronics training kicked in... always make a wiring diagram. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's "extra special handy" proof, and then there's "Wagtail" proof. :eek:

/ Ignition damaged by thief #30  
I had a 770 Great tractor.

Sorry, but not a great fan of letting your average mechanic touch anything electrical. Ugly crimp connectors and electrical tape. Just for starters, have you priced the switch from JD?
New switch will be a simple plug and play no crimps needed. JD part number has been posted and retail price, $30.

Important! Before removing the connectors from the back of the old switch, make/draw a 'wiring diagram' ie: draw the pattern of the 'pins' and what colour/marked wire/connector goes onto that pin.

Do not try to simply remember which goes where... write it down.

Ahhh. Just had a decko at the advised replacement switch and its single 'jack' connector. Good to go.

When Zebrafive wrote connectors (plural) my Navy electrical/electronics training kicked in... always make a wiring diagram. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's "extra special handy" proof, and then there's "Wagtail" proof. :eek:

Sorry to mess you up writing connectors. I meant key switch connector and wiring harness connector, hence connectors.