Security & Theft Ignition damaged by thief

/ Ignition damaged by thief #31  
In my case, my homeowners policy doesn稚 consider my tractor to be a ç*ºehicle ? Itç—´ covered as personal property.

My cars and trucks require a motor vehicle policy.

I do have a high deductible on the homeowners policy, which is likely above what an ignition switch would cost.

An auto parts store, Tractor Supply, or Farm and Fleet type store would all have a generic ignition switch that a competent mechanic could adapt to your Deere.

/ Ignition damaged by thief #32  
That $30.00 must be a misprint. Original JD? $230.00 I would believe.

/ Ignition damaged by thief #34  
When it comes to something like an ignition switch I would go aftermarket $30 and save the money if JD wanted $230. Internal engine parts I would get from JD but not things like an ignition switch. But that is me. YMMV

/ Ignition damaged by thief #37  
So any update on this??

/ Ignition damaged by thief #38  
Any local mechanic should be able to install a switch. The question is how are you going to keep the tractor safe from theft is the POS comes back??

Sorry this happened!!

Might I suggest that you have the mechanic that replaces the ignition switch, also cut the control wire that goes to the starter solenoid and install a on/off switch. The control wire is small gage and simply relays the start signal from the ignition switch down to the starter solenoid, which in turn engages the starter which rotates the engine via the flywheel ring. No starter....no start.

/ Ignition damaged by thief #39  
I've replaced the ignition switch on my Kubota, I suspect your JD will work the same way. There is a cover that screws onto the key switch, Get a large pair of pliers and some soft rubber (or equivalent) for padding the jaws so you don't scratch the cover and unscrew the cover. Once the cover is off, the switch can be pushed thru the console and drop out the bottom. Unplug the connector and plug in the new one. Reverse the process to complete the replacement.

I couldn't find a picture on the web, so I'll get one later today to show what I'm trying to describe.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST !!!

/ Ignition damaged by thief
The ebay switch is the correct P/N AM876787. List price is $30. You might want to see if a local dealer will mail it to you first class mail.

Install is simple. Screw off the front retaining ring and remove from the back. Wiring will be connectors that just unplug. Plug the new ones connectors to the wiring harness, install from the back, install front retaining ring.

JD 790 only came as diesel. It only used one ignition switch P/N AM876787

Thank you so much. I just now realized there were more replies here. Your reply is very encouraging :) Thanks again.