Security & Theft Ignition damaged by thief

/ Ignition damaged by thief
My suggestion is to look in John Deere parts (URL provided) and get the part number. Then call greenfarmparts.com or dealer to order. Both can help you with the part number if needed. I have attached the page from tech manual TM1470 on how to replace switch. It is at the bottom of the page. It does not say it in the manual, but you might want to consider disconnecting the negative cable on the battery. Check your owners manual as it may say how to disconnect the battery.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/

You might also check selectmauals.com for the tech manual $24.95

670 770 790 Tractor - TM1470 - SelectManuals.com - Workshop, Repair and Service Manuals

Thank you very much!!

/ Ignition damaged by thief #42  
Don't you have a mechanic or handyman in your community? Replacing an ignition switch + key is a common job. Any handyman mechanic can simply use the serial number of the JD790 to order the part and then either you or he can install it. I'm betting it won't take but an hour to do it right.
Again, this is a common job for any mechanic to do. It is even easier because those old JD790s are way easier than the complex ignition systems found on newer tractors.

In fact, I just looked on Ebay under "JD790 ignition switch". There are several sellers for under $30. The problem is to get one that is identical to yours. Check by tractor serial number. Frankly, I'd probably buy from a regular John Deere dealer who sells parts online. Just call any JD parts dept. Order with a credit card. With the switch in hand, it will be obvious how to replace the old one.
good luck, you can do this...
rScotty

to stop someone from stealing tractor you could put a battery disconnect switch on it with a removable key for the disconnect switch. most people will not take the time to bypass disconnect switch.

/ Ignition damaged by thief #43  
to stop someone from stealing tractor you could put a battery disconnect switch on it with a removable key for the disconnect switch. most people will not take the time to bypass disconnect switch.
Very good point, they would need to rework big conductors.

/ Ignition damaged by thief #44  
Can unplug the fuel control shutoff valve or put a swithh inline somewhere

/ Ignition damaged by thief
Thank you all for your replies. I was able to get the correct switch (a John Deere part that came in the original box and looks identical to the one that was damaged) and replaced it myself today... with the help provided by a member here who provided the directions from a repair manual. It worked and only cost me the cost of the part ($40). Thank you all so much!

/ Ignition damaged by thief #47  
Thank you all for your replies. I was able to get the correct switch (a John Deere part that came in the original box and looks identical to the one that was damaged) and replaced it myself today... with the help provided by a member here who provided the directions from a repair manual. It worked and only cost me the cost of the part ($40). Thank you all so much!

Excellent !!! :dance1::dance1::dance1: