Impact and Torque Wrenches

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches
Well, at least I have the hearing protectors ... which will also help me from hearing the laughs when I humbly observe that automobile oil changes are why god invented the Jiffy Lube franchise.

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #12  
LOL/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

... then it only stands to reason that tractor maintenance is why god invented Kubota dealers (or Deere, NH dealers to be PC) /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

15-43440-790signaturegif.gif

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #13  
Glennmac & Mikim, I called it a hydro blaster by mistake; it's actually an Amflo Model 2000-G Hydro Air Gun (their paperwork also refers to it as "your hydro-air washer"). You hook your water hose (hot or cold) to one connection and your air hose to the other connection; water runs through it continuously and when you pull the trigger, the air pressure gives it a boost. Not quite as good as a real pressure washer, but actually works amazingly well. Don't know whether they have a web site, but it's from Amflo Products, 1111 East McFadden Avenue, Santa Ana, CA 92705.

The 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", 1" (and some even bigger) drives for impact wrenches and ratchets has already been explained by someone else.

Bird

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #14  
Yep, John, made by DeVilbiss and a nice little compressor for most folks for occasional home use if you never let it run for more than 10 minutes with plenty of cooling off time between runs. I had one and liked it; only had to completely rebuild it every 6 to 8 months/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. The first time was still in warranty so Sears gave me the parts; I did the job myself since their service man was on vacation. Noisy? Yes, and as it begins to get more noisy, it's telling you that it's about time for new parts. The good part is that you can completely rebuild it in less than an hour. That big black cover serves two purposes: (1) it keeps you from seeing what a tiny rinky dink compressor is under there, and (2) it slows down the parts it throws when it blows up - that was rather noisy, too, when it did that, even busted that cowling, but it contained everything./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif So I rebuilt it again, sold it, and bought a real compressor. Mine gets used far too much for me to use an oiless one.

Bird

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches
Rob, that was my attitude exactly!

That is, until I realized the divine dealer charged $75 each way (5 measly miles) for pick up and delivery, plus a whole bunch of incomprehensible hourly charges for what seems to be the simplest tasks.

Well, I'm not signing up to work on my car or complicated domestic rocket science like fixing our leaky faucets, but I think I can do some of this tractor stuff.

So, I've done some research at Northern Tool, etc. To unscrew my crummy $36 mower blades, I can get an impact wrench and compressor for a mere $1000. What a deal! Then I can wait for a year for Northern Tool to deliver them.

Maybe this dealer stuff aint so bad. No, I know, I'll save the delivery charge by getting my own trailer. Then I'll need ramps and chains and load binders ..... Agh. Does it ever end?!

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #16  
Patrick, I've actually only worked on just a few air compressors; my little sideline business is repairing/rebuilding automotive air tools; ratchets, impact wrenches, drills, sanders, saws, cut-off tools, shears, air hammers, etc.

As for which air compressor to buy; that's almost like asking which tractor to buy./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Have to know what you intend to run off it, how much it'll be used, etc. Like I just responded to John Miller, those DeVilbiss oiless are cheap and work well, but for myself it's got to be a cast iron two cylinder compressor with oil in the crankcase. The horsepower ratings on electric compressors, for all practical purposes, mean nothing. You need to see what the specs are for pressure (most go about 120 psi, but the expensive ones go 175 and up), and what volume it moves (cfm). Almost all air tools are rated for a maximum of 90 psi, but a lot of garages run the 175; makes their air tools more powerful, and keeps me in business when they break them. When you look at the volume the compressor can handle, most impacts and ratchets don't use a lot, but sanders, paint guns, sandblasters, and air guns for cleaning things can require more than a lot of small compressors can keep up with. I used one like John pictured, doing some sandblasting; just had to stop every two or three minutes to let the compressor catch up.

As for brands, I'd even go so far as to say to buy a cheap one unless you intend to use it all day every day; things like DeVilbiss, Craftsman, Campbell Hausfeld; just get one of their cast iron compressors with oil in the crankcase. I'm using a 220 volt, cast iron V-twin, 60 gallon tank, Puma that was on sale for $600 about 3 years ago (plus the water separator and a few other accessories).

Bird

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #17  
Glenmac,

Gotta have the impact sockets too. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

DFB

18-30366-dfbsig.gif

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #18  
Bird,

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I can get a Campbell Hausfeld 'Extreme Duty' from Sears for $3-400.

Knowing my work pattern I would probably not use it on a daily basis - but several times a year would have some sandblasting project to use it for. There are also the other advantages of having it there to inflate tires, the general maintenance use and so on. I certainly can't justify one of the bigger units - but it would drive me crazy to have to keep waiting for the compressor to catch up.

It's funny but when I was working in engineering I never even paid attention to the compressors we had on the shop floor (other than knowing they were made by Ingersoll Rand). Just took it for granted that we had compressed air available! Your advice is much appreciated.

Patrick

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #19  
Hi Bird, (anybody else, too, ...jump right in /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=blue>As for brands, I'd even go so far as to say to buy a cheap one unless you intend to use it all day every day; things like DeVilbiss, Craftsman, Campbell Hausfeld; just get one of their cast iron compressors with oil in the crankcase. I'm using a 220 volt, cast iron V-twin, 60 gallon tank, Puma that was on sale for $600 about 3 years ago (plus the water separator and a few other accessories).</font color=blue>

I also will be getting a new compressor. I only have a small roof-nailer size now.

I'd like to have the capacity (cu. ft. ) and pressure to do serious work, but will use it relatively infrequently, ...most DEFINITELY NOT "all day, every day".

I'm willing to pay what it takes to get into this capability class, but would be wasting my money to get a 24/7 "pro" model.

Any specific model/cap.brand reccomendations for me (other than what you've already posted? Can my needs be met with a 110 volt model?

Thanks,

Larry

/ Impact and Torque Wrenches #20  
Patrick, I'm just looking at my brand new Craftsman "Power and Hand Tools" catalog and I don't find that good a deal. But I also notice that my new Tractor Supply Co. catalog has the same compressors at $30 to $100 less than Sears.

One thing I didn't mention before is parts availability for the Campbell Hausfeld. I don't know how easy it would be if you should ever need parts. I know it's difficult to obtain parts, and prices are high, for their air tools. If one breaks, it usually is not worth fixing. That situation may, or may not, apply to the compressors. I've only owned one Campbell Hausfeld compressor and never needed any parts for it. Another compressor that I know little about, but owned one and liked it, was a Sanborn from Sam's Club. And much as I like Ingersoll Rand products, their compressor prices, even in Northern Tool's catalog, are scary.

Bird