Buying Advice Is a CUT an impulse buy?

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #1  

Creamer

Elite Member
Tractor
1710 Ford, Versatile 150
I recently was at a local MF dealer and was talking to the owner. We were talking over the different types of tractors and things and he mentioned that what he had on the lot was just a sample of what he had - there were about 30 tractors sitting there. he said he already sold over 35 this spring and that he had 170 more in warehouses. I am totaling up the numbers and thinking 235+ tractors is a lot of tractors to sell in a year. He said that tractors are an impulse buy - if they are not on the lot you will not sell them. He doesn't deal in large Ag tractors - his are all the under 100 hp made by Iseki for MF.

Are tractors really an impulse buy? I would think they would be more long term. Thoughts?

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #2  
Probably for many, yes. For many others, absolutely not. Many folk get good use out of their CUTs. I'd say a lot has to do with the area too...

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #3  
I know mine wasn't. I thought about it for months. I looked at many, weighed my options, talked to a lot of people, and looked at my savings.

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #4  
If determining what your needs may be now and later and checking every tractor that may or may not fit those needs over a many month or even years time frame is considered an impulse buy, then yes, most of us on TBN make impulse purchases of our tractors. :rolleyes: Maybe this "impulse purchase" means something else to your dealer. An impulse purchase to me would be, I see it, I buy it. Not a drawn out time frame or ANY research done before the time the purchase is made. From the little that I have seen and what I have read here on TBN, this simply is not the case. But again, I am not associated with large numbers of tractor purchases.

My first reaction to the question was no.;)

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #5  
I don't think it is so much an impulse buy as it is an, I've been thinking about a CUT for a while now, but now that I'm sitting on one and operating it, I have to have one. They are just that cool. and the 0% financing seals the deal. Thinking about one is theoretical. Sitting on one breaks down all the inhibitions :eek:)

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #6  
Have to agree with most here that it is not an impulse buy. I studies spec sheets for 7 years before getting my first tractor. For my second tractor I made excel calculators to compare different models to estimate how fast each would do the various tasks that I do with a tractor. Once I found the right tractor at the right price I operated it at the dealers lot for over an hour before I was satisfied that the ergonomics would work for me. Definitely not an impulse by. :rolleyes:

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #7  
My bx 24 was an impulse buy , neighbor was moving in 1 day asks me if I want to buy his tractor for 4K , I said sure why not. ( didnt have a need for it and didnt realize how much it was worth till a week later) I dont know how I got things done with out it , I use it almost every day .

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #8  
My bx 24 was an impulse buy , neighbor was moving in 1 day asks me if I want to buy his tractor for 4K , I said sure why not. ( didnt have a need for it and didnt realize how much it was worth till a week later) I dont know how I got things done with out it , I use it almost every day .

4k for a BX24?!!!? Somebody call the police. What a deal!

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy?
If determining what your needs may be now and later and checking every tractor that may or may not fit those needs over a many month or even years time frame is considered an impulse buy, then yes, most of us on TBN make impulse purchases of our tractors. :rolleyes: Maybe this "impulse purchase" means something else to your dealer. An impulse purchase to me would be, I see it, I buy it. Not a drawn out time frame or ANY research done before the time the purchase is made. From the little that I have seen and what I have read here on TBN, this simply is not the case. But again, I am not associated with large numbers of tractor purchases.

My first reaction to the question was no.;)

The same as my first reaction. But then I got to thinking what makes someone finally pull the trigger and like airbiscuit said - you see it and sit on it and you make the leap. The dealer's point was that if he didn't have them on the lot he couldn't sell them because everybody wants them now. He also only kept one or two of each model on the lot because he wanted people to think it was his last one or at least that he was almost out of that model.

i had never thought of tractors like this but he was fourth in the nation last year by quantity of Massey tractors sold.

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #10  
After lifting and moving large logs and rocks by hand yes I had an impulse to buy a SCUT with a FEL.