Buying Advice Is a CUT an impulse buy?

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #11  
The only impulse that I see in tractor buying is that folks don't realize all the uses that they need them for before they buy. Many if not most folks buy with a few tasks in mind but quickly realize that a tractor is much more capable and perhaps they needed a larger (or smaller) model so the impulsively go buy another to replace the first one or even to keep the first one company.

I suppose that after most folks do months or even years of comparing, reviewing shopping for pricing and settling on a model, it could be called impulse buying by the dealer when they come in and say "I want that tractor today". As far as he is concerned they impulse bought.

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #12  
I'll bet that some people really do buy small tractors on an impulse. Some people may not truly "need" a tractor, but, they have the money, so they buy one. I would suspect that these people are also the ones who would buy primarily on "color" or "brand name" without doing proper research.

Just my opinion

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #13  
The only impulse that I see in tractor buying is that folks don't realize all the uses that they need them for before they buy. Many if not most folks buy with a few tasks in mind but quickly realize that a tractor is much more capable and perhaps they needed a larger (or smaller) model so the impulsively go buy another to replace the first one or even to keep the first one company.

I suppose that after most folks do months or even years of comparing, reviewing shopping for pricing and settling on a model, it could be called impulse buying by the dealer when they come in and say "I want that tractor today". As far as he is concerned they impulse bought.

Now this makes a lot of sense. :thumbsup:

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #15  
I would have to say categorically it's not. Few people would spend 20-30 grand as an "impulse". Being impulsive of such a purchase I think only a few have the luxury for. This constitutes a purchase without forethought such as the grocer tries to do with all the goodies available at the check out counter.

I agree with Gary F that what the dealer is witnessing as "impulse", the purchaser has given much thought to and even selecting one tractor over another say one with a backhoe or not or a cab or open station, I can bet the purchaser has mulled around more than once. Once he sees his previous "thought patterns" in the flesh, it all clicks in and may look like "impulse"

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy?
I would have to say categorically it's not. Few people would spend 20-30 grand as an "impulse". Being impulsive of such a purchase I think only a few have the luxury for. This constitutes a purchase without forethought such as the grocer tries to do with all the goodies available at the check out counter.

I think many car dealers would disagree with you. $20-30k cars are normal and dealers will tell you the sales people make the difference of getting the person to pull the trigger.

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #17  
When I bought my 10 acre place in Jan 2005, it had a nice crop of 3-4 ft tall native plants (aka weeds). I had two choices--hire the mowing done or buy a tractor and do it myself. I looked at four brands at local dealers: Kubota, New Holland/Ford, Mahindra, Branson. Bought the Kubota (B7510HST with the LA302 FEL). Three years later I decided to become a hay farmer. So I traded the Bota for a Mahindra 5525 with the ML250 FEL. Neither purchase was an impulse decision.

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #18  
I think many car dealers would disagree with you. $20-30k cars are normal and dealers will tell you the sales people make the difference of getting the person to pull the trigger.

I sold cars and trucks for 19 years. Even there, what looks like an "impulse" is really what the person wants except when practicality steps in. Things such as price, color, options, insurance costs, etc, alter the initial desire. Also, the need for a car and the need for a tractor can be relegate to a different thought pattern. One might buy 15 cars in a life time but I doubt one is buying that many cuts.

I would agree with you that there are dealerships that want their sales staff to "push" cars on people. Anybody that came to me for a car or truck, that was never done. "Trigger pulling" was only done with careful thought.
I had no desire to put people "on the ladder".

It raises an interesting point however in that I wonder if anyone has ever had to contend with a "slick" tractor salesman in todays world.

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #19  
It raises an interesting point however in that I wonder if anyone has ever had to contend with a "slick" tractor salesman in todays world.

I think so ... We hear stories on here often of a dealer providing false or misleading info in an attempt to sway a buyer. The JD dealer in my town speaks negatively about other tractor brands... So I have little faith in him. A local dealer who had sold Yanmar just picked up Mahindra. I was in there a couple weeks ago and stood at the counter (was getting a price on a used implement in their yard) while he was on the phone talking to a potential customer about a Mahindra max. He was explaining how "Mahindra builds this tractor to be tougher than the competition" and about how Mahindra "builds their tractors and are the number one manufacturer in the world". About the only thing he got right was that the max used a Mitsu engine. After he got off the phone, I educated him in that tractors origins, and then educated him further on the fact that he had "Mahindra" CUT tractors in his lot from 3 different manufacturers (TYM, Mitsubishi, and Mahindra). He was embarrassed. Now, I don't think he was trying to be shifty ... I just think he was uneducated on the facts.

I like my MF/Kioti dealer because he speaks pretty highly about most other brands too, and if he doesn't, he offers specific examples of the problems and shortcomings. He works on all makes, so I generally feel he has a good handle on things. Now, I have caught a few things that he was uneducated on, but they were pretty limited.

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #20  
I think it depends on what you consider an "impulse purchase." Some might view that as "I'm driving down the road, pass a tractor dealership, stop by and decide I have to get one so I sign papers" sort of thing. I doubt that happens much.

The other kind is that someone decides they want/need a tractor and eventually they visit a dealership. They don't do much/any research and simply buy what they see on the lot, and what the dealer suggests for them. I think that happens a lot. I can see why some folks might call it an impulse purchase.