Buying Advice Is a CUT an impulse buy?

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #31  
It's not that I didn't study up on my tractor's but the purchase decision has been impulse. My wife and I went to look at a B model equipped with loader and backhoe and my wife pointed out a L3710 and said, "Wouldn't this be more practical?" It was only the dealer having the tractor on hand that day that resulted in an impulse purchase. Several years pass and my wife and I are again at a dealership. I mention to her that a cab tractor like one on the lot would make it much easier to clean snow out of the yard. Voila! She agreed we could trade the L3710 on a L5740. Next year the dealer is driving us around their lot in a RTV. My wife said that RTV900XT would sure be handy and we bought it. Then I started farming, partnering with my cousin but also helping out my sister's family. Once again we are at the dealer and I look over a shiny new M135GX. I tell my wife that it would be great to have one of our own now that we are farming. She agrees and we go home with a signed purchase agreement. All really due to getting my wife to the dealership and them having the right product there at the right time. If we would have needed to order one. Researched by me, but purchase total impulse.

I don't think that there are a lot of people like you that are able to do what you have done. Simply can not afford it. :no:

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #32  
It might appear to be impulse but I doubt it really is. When I went in to the Mahindra dealer I had pretty much decided on what I wanted and what I wanted to spend, after looking for a year at used then new when the wife (yes, the wife!) talked me into looking at new because of the warranty and I think she was tired of me complaining about old equipment being broke down. So, from the dealer perspective here's a guy who stops in, rides a couple of tractors around the lot then buys, it looks like an impulse. For me it was the end of a year long search.

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #33  
I recently was at a local MF dealer and was talking to the owner. We were talking over the different types of tractors and things and he mentioned that what he had on the lot was just a sample of what he had - there were about 30 tractors sitting there. he said he already sold over 35 this spring and that he had 170 more in warehouses. I am totaling up the numbers and thinking 235+ tractors is a lot of tractors to sell in a year. He said that tractors are an impulse buy - if they are not on the lot you will not sell them. He doesn't deal in large Ag tractors - his are all the under 100 hp made by Iseki for MF.

Are tractors really an impulse buy? I would think they would be more long term. Thoughts?

Absolutely, just like a truck or anything else. But that doesn't mean they're not a necessity. Also, spring I'm sure is the busiest time of the year, I doubt sales are consistent the entire year.

I went to replace my L3650 knowing about what I wanted, if they would have had it I would have bought it right there after test driving the NX4510 and seeing what a huge improvement it was over my old tractor.

It's difficult to be without a tractor, once you've had one... when you still have stuff to do. :)

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #34  
I'd been thinking about getting a tractor for about 5 years while renting when I had something that required one. After a bad experience with a rental unit that resulted in a blown motor on 50 hour L2900 (not my fault) I decided I'd had it with renting, I wanted something that I was responsible for, knew the maintenance had been done on, and could use when I wanted to. A couple of months later I had my cash saved up and started looking for real, planning on a new L series Kubota, but then I sat on an 800 hour NH TC40DA and the process was complicated. I went home and thought on it for a few days, had the dealer find acceptable financing and then bought it about 2 weeks later.

I somewhat impulsively changed what I was planning to get but I don't think I bought impulsively. I'm glad I got the Boomer, the additional weight and horsepower has made everything I wanted to do pretty much effortless. Every time I use the machine, it impresses me. I've had it 5 months now and have put 70 hours on it so far, 40 of them almost immediately and 25 in the last month. Keep finding new uses for it all the time.

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #35  
When I first had property, I got so tired of mowing 1.25 acres with a push mower I decided to impulse buy a riding mower one afternoon. Right now, with my new property, I'm getting by with what I've got, but I've been thinking about a new tractor. One day, I might decide to stop screwing around, and just buy a real tractor. So it really may be an impulse buy.

Last edited:
   / Is a CUT an impulse buy? #36  
When I first had property, I got so tired of mowing 1.25 acres with a push mower I decided to impulse buy a riding mower one afternoon. Right now, with my new property, I'm getting by with what I've got, but I've been thinking about a new tractor. One day, I might decide to stop screwing around, and just buy a real tractor. So it really may be an impulse buy.

This is really not an "impulse" purchase. An impulse purchase is one "without thought" or with "involuntary inclination". Your initial thought process had a "reason" that being "you got tired of mowing". You formulated the thought a long time ago but because you acted upon it "suddenly" one day, it seemed as "impulse". Usually an impulse purchase has more to do with something you don't need but buy it anyway without any prior mulling over.. To act decisively can be mistaken as impulse by some....especially wives.