Buying Advice Is a CUT an impulse buy?

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #21  
I wouldn't say mine was an impulse buy, but the turnaround happened pretty quickly.

Picture 1: This kept happening....so.....

Then this happened.....Picture 2

I researched what I wanted in a machine to decide which model I liked best with HST in the 40-50 hp range. Then I got the heaviest one I could, since most of what I do involves loader work of some kind.

Attachments

• 2014-04-16_17.20.16[1].jpg
    2014-04-16_17.20.16[1].jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 2014-05-10_13.52.20[1].jpg
    2014-05-10_13.52.20[1].jpg
    602.6 KB · Views: 107
   / Is a CUT an impulse buy? #22  
I knew what I wanted and spent a lot of time looking, but by the time I went to the dealer I was pretty tired of looking. And tired of talking about jobs I had planned and not having the eqpt.

I suppose it looked like an impulse buy to the dealer, because he had a tractor on the lot that would do what I wanted.

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #23  
I think the folks that see the "impulse" as a dealer perception are largely right.

I'm sure dealers think I'm an impulse buyer, because I don't go through the door until I've decided what I want and what I'm willing to pay. Cars, trucks, tractors and other big ticket stuff, if they have what I want at a price I'm willing to pay, my first visit is usually my last and I knew it coming in the door.

I hate dickering and playing games trying to save a few bucks. Yup, I often pay more than I might have, but I'm happy or I wouldn't have paid it.

I must admit to one big-ticket impulse buy tho. I had an '03 Corolla that had an airbag light on. Dealer fix, so I took it to the dealer intending to have it fixed with no thought whatever of buying. While the techs were trying to figure out the problem, I was wandering around in the showroom killing time. (A salesman's dream...)

My '03 was a stripper, no cruise, no power anything. Otherwise, I loved that thing. Stone dependable, great mileage, and as rust-proof as any vehicle I've ever owned.

Out of curiosity I asked what I'd have to spend to get a Corolla with cruise and power windows and door locks. He threw a price at me and I was immediately intrigued, the price being well under my worst estimate. Then he told me what they'd give me for my '03. One phone call to check with SWMBO and half an hour later I was signing papers.

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #24  
Ithink that just seeing the tractors is what helps. Many places sell tractors but don't have that many on the lot or the models that some people are interested in. I think seeing the real thing instead of looking at a picture sells a lot of people.
Ken

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #27  
Someone gave you snow for your birthday ?

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #28  
All this reminds me of a post I once read somewhere. A guy's mom needed a new riding mower. He researched for weeks on motors, transmissions, quality of cut, etc., etc.

Finally, armed with all his research, he took his mom to the dealership to test drive a few of them. As soon as they arrived, she pointed at one and said "I want that one."

He asked why that one. She said "It's cute and I love the color."

There ya' go.

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #29  
It's not that I didn't study up on my tractor's but the purchase decision has been impulse. My wife and I went to look at a B model equipped with loader and backhoe and my wife pointed out a L3710 and said, "Wouldn't this be more practical?" It was only the dealer having the tractor on hand that day that resulted in an impulse purchase. Several years pass and my wife and I are again at a dealership. I mention to her that a cab tractor like one on the lot would make it much easier to clean snow out of the yard. Voila! She agreed we could trade the L3710 on a L5740. Next year the dealer is driving us around their lot in a RTV. My wife said that RTV900XT would sure be handy and we bought it. Then I started farming, partnering with my cousin but also helping out my sister's family. Once again we are at the dealer and I look over a shiny new M135GX. I tell my wife that it would be great to have one of our own now that we are farming. She agrees and we go home with a signed purchase agreement. All really due to getting my wife to the dealership and them having the right product there at the right time. If we would have needed to order one. Researched by me, but purchase total impulse.

/ Is a CUT an impulse buy? #30  
I agree with PHPaul here. I always do a lot research on the things I buy regardless of what it is unless it is a consumable. When I walk into a store to talk to a salesman I almost always know as much or more than they do. I learn a few things but I generally know the answer for the questions I ask. So it is more of a verification and make sure I didn't consider something. I appreciate a salesman that can tell me something I didn't know about the product.