Is sub compact big enough?

/ Is sub compact big enough? #91  
Feel free to comment on any of the above. Several questions in addition:
How much will a GC1705 (or similar) track up a soft lawn or trail?

Will it run a 5ft brush cutter? Dealer says it will. By brush cutter I really just mean tall grass.

Is it dumb to purchase a tractor as a 2-5 year 'trial'?
As far as tracking up a lawn, it'll depend on the tire type and how you operate. IMHO, R3 Turfs are best for the lawn, but may not be so good for field mowing (I've mowed my field with 2 tractors with turfs with no problem, but they aren't as puncture resistant as R4 industrial tire).

According to TractorData.com, the 1705 has 18.7 PTO HP. I ran a 5' cutter behind a Deere 670 that had the same PTO HP and did fine.
What I would be concerned about is sharps turns when the cutter is raised...the "tail swinging the dog" thing...
Also, you might need front ballast for when you lift the cutter

"Dumb" is all a matter of opinion when it comes to tractors...only your opinion counts

/ Is sub compact big enough? #92  
Before making a decision, compare the cost of a subcompact against a compact. Then think what it will cost in 2 or 3 years to upgrade in terms of the loss on the subcompact and the price increases on the compact over that time frame.

But if you clearly identify your needs and a subcompact fits those needs, all is well because you aren't getting trapped in the trade in/up costs.

/ Is sub compact big enough? #93  
I agree that SCUTs have their place. That said, I'd like to hear from dealers which happens more frequently:

SCUT owners trade up to a larger CUT
CUT owners trade down to a smaller SCUT

I'm guessing that budget drives many to choose a SCUT for their first tractor.
Never had anyone wish they went smaller. I was tried to get folks to buy for what suits there most important task at hand. I can always get you set up with a rental or a contractor for the bigger stuff

/ Is sub compact big enough? #94  
Always buy enough tractor for the tasks that you will be wanting to perform...

High Hopes - Grapple.jpg

/ Is sub compact big enough? #95  
Maybe I missed it but does the OP want gear or HST? Along with a list of tasks (including how important are they) would be the first questions I would answer. A large gear tractor is going to be a handful in tight places around a house or in the woods. But HST is very different. With HST you get very precise movements and can move at speeds that could allow you to watch the grass to grow. They are two very different beasts. If you are thinking HST then I would step up at least one size in HP. I would also test drive at least one to get a feel for how different it is compared to your 2010. While my 4240 isn't small the wife will often use it for small tasks around the house to avoid dealing with a wheel borrow. Things like planting and weeding that you wouldn't normally think of using a larger cut for.

/ Is sub compact big enough? #96  
As if there aren't enough of these threads! Sort of an old question I know. I've been eyeing a newer tractor for a long time. Was hoping the market prices would correct themselves, but it don't look like that will happen soon.

I own 18 acres (no hills). 2-3 around the buildings, 10 acres field (rented out), 6 acres woods. I've got access to large tractors if needed for any ag type work. I cut 4-6 cords of firewood every year, but mostly not in my own woods. I've owned a JD 2010 with loader for 2+ years. It's had its typical problems, but I knew that going in. I only put 15-20 hrs on it a year, mostly cutting firewood and doing random loader work. The 3pt hitch is nearly useless so that has kept me from doing any brush cutting, etc.

If money and space were no object I would buy a 40 hp tractor and a SCUT as well. In reality, I've got 4 children to feed and clothe so $ is an issue! I'm mechanically inclined with 2 diesel mechanics in the family so I'm not afraid of used machines.

I really like the Kubota L30 series (31-43 hp) they seem like a good fit and value, but I'm not ready to pay that much just yet. I keep coming back to the SCUT class for 2 reasons: price and "handiness". I have to ask myself, what could a small tractor not do that I really HAVE to do? FEL lift height and capacity are really the biggest disadvantages of the SCUT. But then, it would take a 60+ hp tractor to really lift everything I would like.

A local Massey ferguson dealer has a used GC1705 coming in next week. I told him to call me when it does. With a tractor this size, I would probably use it 60-100 hrs per year. It bugs me that a larger compact tractor would sit in the barn unused much of the year. Purchasing a small tractor would also allow me to sell my Simplicity Sovereign garden tractor. (Have ZTR for lawn). Having 1 machine instead of 2 would be great. The Simplicity is mostly used for snowblowing (2010 is way too clumsy), lawn rolling, pulling sm trailer loads of mulch, and navigating the narrow trails in the woods.

Feel free to comment on any of the above. Several questions in addition:
How much will a GC1705 (or similar) track up a soft lawn or trail?

Will it run a 5ft brush cutter? Dealer says it will. By brush cutter I really just mean tall grass.

Is it dumb to purchase a tractor as a 2-5 year 'trial'?
I generally think you can use a compact or subcompact tractor if you keep your expectations realistic.
I have two and a half acres of mostly scrub brush and I have a Kubota BX 1880 which is the smallest of the small subcompacts.
I have a 5 ft brush hog and while it "will" work with the Kubota, the experience is not the best for the tractor.
Using that size of implement on such a small tractor you're at the maximum capability or beyond all the time.
Instead I found as some have mentioned, a 4 ft flail mower works perfectly with my small tractor.
I also use a land plane and level off a small road.
Additionally many small subcompacts can be bought with a belly mower or it can be added on later.
As far as lifting capacity, as I said if you keep your expectations realistic, I've not found much my little Kubota cannot do.
Keep in mind I'm not going around trying to lift pallets of bricks, Giant rocks, etc.
But it is perfectly capable of lifting buckets full of dirt, gravel, whatever I basically need to get done.
I think based on what I read you might be okay with the subcompact.
Unfortunately it seems that this is a not optimum time to buy a tractor as used prices are through the roof and new prices are not much better!
Good luck I'm sure that you will come up with the solution that fits your needs best.!
Paul

/ Is sub compact big enough? #98  
I have a b6100 with an FEL which is about as small as SCUTs get.

I also have a B8200 with FEL, and a backhoe.

The B8200 is not much bigger than the b6100 in objective terms, but it's enough bigger that it feels substantially less maneuverable, and that's BEFORE you talk about the backhoe! The B6100 is so small it's fun, while in the same tight spaces the b8200 mostly does fit, but feels like a rolling liability and is nowhere near as fun.

The b8200 with the backhoe, which is as small as backhoes get, makes the thing feel literally twice the size, twice as hard to get in and out of any tight spot, totally kills the 'departure angle' (as in, it will drag its tail easily, and subject multiple hydraulic hoses to imminent danger in the process)..

I'm glad I have both, but while the B8200 is the more capable machine, I greatly ENJOY using the 6100 because it is so maneuverable. When i have a task both can do, i tend to choose the b6100 because it is more fun. The B8200 i use based on need.

Considering how differently I feel about using these two machines which are both pretty darn small by tractor standards, i do think it's valid to try and buy the smallest thing that will comfortably do a job. All else being equal, if you have any kind of tight quarters to work in, the smaller machine will let you enjoy the work a lot more.

/ Is sub compact big enough? #99  
I'm glad I have both, but while the B8200 is the more capable machine, I greatly ENJOY using the 6100 because it is so maneuverable. When i have a task both can do, i tend to choose the b6100 because it is more fun. The B8200 i use based on need.
Agree.

See my sig photo, below. The little one has power steering and powershift (shift 1-2-3 while moving) and as you note is more maneuverable, so it's the favorite. The larger one with backhoe, and make a complete stop for every shift, is only used when necessary.

/ Is sub compact big enough? #100  
I have a b6100 with an FEL which is about as small as SCUTs get.

I also have a B8200 with FEL, and a backhoe.

The B8200 is not much bigger than the b6100 in objective terms, but it's enough bigger that it feels substantially less maneuverable, and that's BEFORE you talk about the backhoe! The B6100 is so small it's fun, while in the same tight spaces the b8200 mostly does fit, but feels like a rolling liability and is nowhere near as fun.

The b8200 with the backhoe, which is as small as backhoes get, makes the thing feel literally twice the size, twice as hard to get in and out of any tight spot, totally kills the 'departure angle' (as in, it will drag its tail easily, and subject multiple hydraulic hoses to imminent danger in the process)..

Considering how differently I feel about using these two machines which are both pretty darn small by tractor standards, i do think it's valid to try and buy the smallest thing that will comfortably do a job. All else being equal, if you have any kind of tight quarters to work in, the smaller machine will let you enjoy the work a lot more.
Huh, did no know the b6100 has "less" horsepower but looks like it's a physicaly larger machine than the little BX.
Learned something new!
So glad to see the older Kubota's still going strong!
Makes me feel good about my BX!