JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement
In an attempt to create the baffle rings, I discovered that I dont have the right size hole saw for the inner hole. But the ID of the larger one will make disks that fit inside nicely. Unless I can find one at work tomorrow, I'll have to go smaller and use the die grinder to enlarge to size.

I hate to use hole saws in metal. My underpowered tabletop drill press cringes at the mere thought.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #62  
I have seen homemade mufflers that just used plates inside that baffled noise but didn't create HP robbing restrictions. I saw pictures on a hot rod muffler website--FlowMaster I think. Just an FYI.

Sixdogs: I read thru alot of different sites, including one as you describe.

I showed my buddy at work who has played with hot rods for 30+ years, and built more motorized play toys than I ever will. He thinks this will be ok. Im restricted by the space I have to fit the muffler. The baffle plate type are oval, and I can only fit what Im building in this space.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #64  
Good to know. Very interesting thread so send more pics when you can. Nice welding and good thinking

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #65  
Good to know. Very interesting thread so send more pics when you can. Nice welding and good thinking

Wouldn't it be interesting to wander around in Greg's mind. Busy, busy place. :D

LOL... Glad you guys are entertained!

If I could only have the time, money, and facilities to do 10% of the projects I dream up, I wouldnt have time to go to work, and would be busy for the next 40 years!

Then theres the SWMBO factor... She has other plans for my next 40 years.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #67  
Anytime my wife mentions "time" I tell her I don't have time to go to work every day. When you retire, you'll know exactly what I mean. All those "ideas" running around in your head will become your directive for the day. It don't get any better. :)

Richard, Im guessing theres another 25+ years ahead of me before I can retire... Hit 40 in about a month... So I can only dream of this fable you tell of 'retirement'.

That whole SWMBO honey-do list severely limited progress on the muffler tonight... Busy building frames to fit windows to hold Christmas lights on the outside of the windows of our house. (Tryed to explain how hard it was to decorate a brick house. She said figure it out. I did. No getting out of it.) So I spent 2 hours welding nuts to slotted angle, and washers to bolts...

Started with this pile of parts...

Ended up with this...

Thoes brackets become corners that set-screw into the corners of the window with 1/2" steel tube frame, and light strings wound over that...

I did manage to get the 4 disks needed for the muffler cut out also, nothing exciting about 4 metal disks, 2.5" diameter, heres a mental picture...

O

Got it? *grin*

Still need to cut out the center of 3 of them to 1.5".

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #69  
After cutting the center out of the O, it should look like this if your hand is steady. :donut:

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #70