JD 5210 Clutch Assy Replacement

/ JD 5210 Clutch Assy Replacement #1  

Lineman36

Tractor
JD 5210
I'm new here and just recently sold my old IH 424 and bought a 99 model JD 5210. I've been slowing working the bugs out of it and final found out after some troubleshooting that by PTO clutch and Clutch assy is probably wore out. Under heaving load while mowing the PTO stops spinning and at high RPM's the PTO stops as well. Also, the PTO will not fully disengage (will continue to spin after disengaging at low RPM). I'm looking for some insight on how difficult it is to replace the clutches and maybe where to find a good price on parts and if anyone has any drawings. Appreciate the help in advance.

/ JD 5210 Clutch Assy Replacement #2  
While I have only read about, it does not appear to be that hard to do assuming you have the tools, a little help and a place to work on it. I do strongly suggest you get the tech manual, you can download a copy for 34.95 from selectmanuals.com. Note there is a early design and a late design clutch, so you get the correct parts. To add to what is in the manual put blocks on top of the front axle at the pivot point, so it does not rock side to side.

Must admit if I was going to do mine, I would consider looking into if you can purchase the clutch pack. Also do not forget to clean the pick-up screen located back by the PTO.

I have include a link to operators manual, JD parts catalog and if you go to JDparts.com you can sign-up and be able to price the parts out or go to greenfarmparts.com.

If you decide to do it, please consider let us know how it goes, lessons learned and pictures.

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE71736_19/

John Deere - Parts Catalog

/ JD 5210 Clutch Assy Replacement
Thanks for the quick response. I changed all my fluids (and did clean up the screen) because my pump was making terriable noises. After changing the hydo fluid is stopped the noise. I was in hopes it had to do something do with the PTO. It does seem pretty easy to split just a few lines.

/ JD 5210 Clutch Assy Replacement #4  
I have a PDF of the Deere technical manual you're welcome to, shoot me your email if wanted.

Joe

/ JD 5210 Clutch Assy Replacement #5  
:welcome: to TBN
According to JD parts one needs tractor serial number & trans type to order correct clutch parts. Function of hyd's has no bearing on pto operation. Pto shaft spinning while disengaged is probably due to worn brake spring(parts key 3)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    13.3 KB · Views: 303
Kind of figured I would start with Clutch assy and then if it is the brake then work on that. I just need to get my PTO up and going so I can mow.

Does anyone have the torque specs for the bolts on the Flywheel? I don't have the engine manual to confirm. Thanks

/ JD 5210 Clutch Assy Replacement #8  
from the CTM-125 manual -

Specification
Flywheel bolt裕orque 160 N瀕 (120 lb-ft) .................................................

Little up date. I got my clutch and the tractor back together (minus hooking up the lines). I was actually really easy process. All you need is 2 floor jack and so wood cribbing and from there its really basic. My question is....as is was tighten up the engine to the bell housing the clutch made some noise like if a spring was going unsprung. I'm just assuming its the clutch seating in and adjusting. It did it twice. After that I adjusted the clutch linkage and I had to run it up all the way to get a decent pedal. If anyone can give me an insight I surly would appreciate it.

/ JD 5210 Clutch Assy Replacement #10  
While joining both halves when getting them close together did you rotate engine with trans in gear & rotate pto with it engaged to help aligne splines on both input shafts? If not you may have damaged 1 or both clutch plates.