JD 5210 Clutch Assy Replacement

/ JD 5210 Clutch Assy Replacement
Thanks for the input. I rotated the pto shaft with the pto and the trans shaft lined up on the money. I'll just split it and check it for a peace of mind thing.

Well I split it again and found the issue. I guess the PTO shaft must have not gone into the pilot bearing correctly and it was hung up and the bearing was destroyed. When I was spitting it, it came out with the engine side. I got it apart and put the PTO shaft back into the traction shaft but it seems it won't fully go back where it's suppose too. Not sure what the deal is. Does anyone have any ideas?

/ JD 5210 Clutch Assy Replacement #13  
Have you been successful in getting the PTO clutch shaft back in?

On page 50-11-15 of the tech manual (I assuming you took Joe up on his offer to supply you with the manual) it says -Opposite end of clutch shaft must align with a coupler. Install PTO clutch shaft using a soft-faced hammer. Rotate shaft as necessary until fully seated. –

Well, the point I've reached is that it wont marry back together all the way. I've rotated the pto in the rear hoping it lines up. I'm using two hoist, one on each side of the tractor and so its a even and controlled. I've got it to about 1inch of it meeting the bell housing and it gets to the point where the hoists are tight and I feel like its going to break something or something is in a bind. i'm going to give it a shot again tonite and if anyone has any suggestion i'm open to it.

Well I got it all lined up. Made sure the splines were close to alignment, left trans in neutral, and got it to about 1 inch from being 100% together. Made sure PTO shaft was seated. Just not sure what I'm missing. Everyone I talk too say it should go back as easy as it came apart. So I'm at a road block.

/ JD 5210 Clutch Assy Replacement #16  
As I previously stated one needs to rotate engine with trans in gear while joining both halves of tractor to align clutch & trans input shaft splines. Whomever stated tractors join back together as easily as being split must not have split/rejoined very many tractors and were just ""very lucky on their initial tractor split"". Are you positive you have distance between halves the same distance(top & bottom) IE EQUAL?

In the 12+ yrs I served as a JD dealer service manager I witnessed some tractors easy to rejoin together & some almost impossible.

Well I was assuming it would need to be in neutral. The distances are not equal. The top was about 1 inch and bottom was roughly 1/2 inch or less. I tried to rotate the engine by turning the water pump but the crank shaft would not spin at all. As well I went to the back of the tractor to spin the PTO and again it would not spin. I'm thinking that maybe the PTO shaft is trans clutch portion and not allow neither the engine nor the PTO to spin.

/ JD 5210 Clutch Assy Replacement #18  
Trying to rejoin both halves of tractor when top gap is 1'' & bottom gap is 1/2'' will lead to this.:banghead:

After getting top/bottom cracks EVEN if engine can't be rotated put trans in gear and rock one rear tire to move input shaft to align splines.

Thank you for you suggestion. Make since now. I'll give it a try when I get home. When I do this will you be able to tell quickly?

/ JD 5210 Clutch Assy Replacement #20  
Detection of spline alignment depends on what type pressure you're applying to join halves but the shafts need to be straight with the clutches with very little pressure being applied.