JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #21  
Perfect explanation. I just put the mower back on to mow but ill do it next week before I mow again. Orlando incase your wondering :)

Good for you! Gator has a good point, if the needle you are using is giving you some hard time, try one like I have on post 9. Also a hand pump grease gun works better then the lever style. One hand to hold the needle and the other for the pump. I had the lever one and always manage but once I got the hand pump it made it so much easier. So you are from Orlando, that explain the mower. Always exited here to get the snow but by February I sure envy you guys. :cool:

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #22  
As always, thanks for taking the time to comment. As they say " knowledge is power ". In this case.. $. Ill gladly spend the money if it saves me from replacing the u joints.
I was raised in Indiana but moved to FL with the wife 22 years ago. Never want to live in the cold again. Safe holiday. Bill

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease
I have two types of "needles" for my grease gun.

One like pictured above. I have used it to pump a booted CV joint full of grease and a couple times to slip past the rubber seal on each cap of a u-joint.

The one I use most replaces the nipple on the grease gun tube. Unscrew the normal type and screw on the needle. It isn't sharp, only slightly pointed. You press it against the sealed ball of the zerk and it seals against the ball seat and pushes grease around the ball. Poor explanation, I know. I'll try to get a picture of it. I use it on some driveline zerks that are difficult to get a regular nipple on. It is what I used on this project.

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #24  
Great if you can post a pic. I'm running to the auto store in the morning. Ill post a pic one if I'm able to find one. Bill

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #25  
Part number W54216. At Advance auto $7.99

Be next week before I give it a try.

image-766984994.jpg

We shall see ...

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease
Yep, that's very similar to what I use.

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #27  
Okay. 3 hours spent trying to get the zerks to accept grease with the needle adapter and nozzle adapter.
Took whole shaft off in ten mins, greased and installed in 15 mins.
Who ever designed this blankety blank system, needs to go back to engineering design school.
Argh. Bill V.

Attachments

• image-1405678683.jpg
    image-1405678683.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 388
  • image-3008446185.jpg
    image-3008446185.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 410
   / JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #28  
Ovrszd. Thanks for bringing this to all or our attention. Probably just saved my u joints. And I'm sure others even if they don't post .... On my JD 2305 (2010) It has 195 gentle hours on it and is very much babied. After taking the driveshaft off, greasing both joints and installing. I decided to try and find a place to cut a hole to access easier. I removed the floorboard and honestly can't find a good spot. For me, every 50 hours I will commit to dropping this shaft and put some grease in. It's a lot of work but I don't see an alternative since I had zero luck with the needle or nozzle approach. ( ground down an old grease gun and couldn't get it to fit ) If there is a better way - I'm all ears. Best wishes to all who tackle this and keep it from damaging the joints. Bill V. Vanatti767@yahoo.com

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #29  
Thanks to tho OP for the info. 2006 2305, 225 hours. First grease, no problems, future problem averted. love this forum.

/ JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease #30  
If you manage to take the whole shaft of in 10 min. and back on in 15, tap yourself on the back. I haven't done it myself, but from what I read it is not and easy task. Still no reason why you couldn't grease it with the needle. I know it can be a pita, but still easier than taking the whole thing apart. Maybe because it had never been grease before and needed more pressure than usual? Have you notice if there was more resistance on the first shot of the pump? Have you tried it with the needle once you had the whole thing on the floor? Sorry for all the question, but I hate to see you taking the whole thing apart every time you want to give it a few shot of grease. I grease mine and it only takes me a couple of minutes. What exactly was the problem, grease spitting out beside the zerk or just wouldn't go in?

DSCF6107.jpgDSCF6110.jpgDSCF6111.JPGDSCF6115.JPG