Jimna 254 hard starting

/ Jimna 254 hard starting #41  
Where do you set the throttle when you start it?

Generally, I just nudge the hand throttle until the peddle moves about a quarter inch. A little more or less depending on air temp and if it is the first start of the day.
Most diesel engines I deal with all cold start at 100% fuel injection so there is no need to advance the throttle at all as the pump does that for you via the fuel rack, The instant they start the rack goes back to the pre set idle position, least that is how it works on my M9 Kubota's.

/ Jimna 254 hard starting #42  
That is interesting. No idea if that is the way these IP work or not. I suppose that would be controlled by the governor.
In any case, it seems to help get the engine rolling a little better just as the cylinders are catching and you let go of the starter. Then in about 1 to 2 seconds you can back it down or bump it up a little if needed.
On my tractor anyway, that throttle setting will produce about 1200 RPM and as soon as I can tell it is hitting on all 3, then I reduce it to 1000 or a little under. It will usually pick up a 100 RPM or so as it warms up. I leave it there until the temp needle comes off the peg, then drop it to idle. Unless it is -20F, then I leave it set higher to help warm up the hydraulics.
The Y85 series operation manual says to start with the throttle in mid-position. Through experimentation, I discovered it worked best for me just cracked a little above idle. I'm sure each one has it's own little quirks.

/ Jimna 254 hard starting #43  
Most diesel engines I deal with all cold start at 100% fuel injection so there is no need to advance the throttle at all as the pump does that for you via the fuel rack, The instant they start the rack goes back to the pre set idle position, least that is how it works on my M9 Kubota's.
Even the Cat and EMD emergency generators with Woodward electronic governors that I'm familiar with start at zero rack, but spin up to 60 Hz in fifteen seconds. Even the Bosch, Stanadyne, and Roosa Master pumps start at zero because that's where the flyweights rest. Must be a Kubota thing.

/ Jimna 254 hard starting
What size pto implements are you guys running? Im researching a flail mower. When looking at tractor attachments they are sized on the HP of the tractor. The trouble with is that the HP of the tractor doesnt indicate the size of the tractor frame or the width and size of the wheels. Im thinking the jinma 254 has a bigger frame for a 25hp. I have a 30hp pasquali that has a much smaller frame in comparison. How do you go about sizing up implements? Are the HP ratings that critical. Should something that is designed for a say 35-60hp be ruled out?

/ Jimna 254 hard starting
You are correct. Wet day here. Went and started the tractor after not using it for 2 wks. Its mild temp here. Around 11deg celcius. Gave it 30sec of glow plugs (maybe that is too much), set the throttle to completely closed and she started up straight away and idled fine.

/ Jimna 254 hard starting #46  
You can run almost anything that is a category 1 attachment. However, running an implement that is rated over your rated PTO horsepower (about 2/3 of your engines rated horsepower) will not give satisfactory results, and may even lug your engine (particularly implements rated for 720 or 1,000 r/m). Tractor frame size shouldn't matter as long as you have a category 1 three point hitch.

/ Jimna 254 hard starting #47  
Even the Cat and EMD emergency generators with Woodward electronic governors that I'm familiar with start at zero rack, but spin up to 60 Hz in fifteen seconds. Even the Bosch, Stanadyne, and Roosa Master pumps start at zero because that's where the flyweights rest. Must be a Kubota thing.
The pre 4 Kubota's all use a Bosh style pump very similar to a Caterpillar pump and all the Cats I drove for 36 years all started at 100% fuel delivery and the immediately backed down to wherever the throttle setting was, in the case of a big truck, the base idle setting. On a cold winter start I never advanced the throttle at all. One nice thing about Cats was they all started fairly easy in frigid weather, unlike Cummins that always needed a starting aid to get going.

/ Jimna 254 hard starting #48  
Gave it 30sec of glow plugs (maybe that is too much)
Yep, a bit much. Ten seconds gives you all the heat you need, plus it's easier on the plugs. Just count "thousand one, thousand two, thousand three, thousand four, and so on.

/ Jimna 254 hard starting #49  
The pre 4 Kubota's all use a Bosh style pump very similar to a Caterpillar pump and all the Cats I drove for 36 years all started at 100% fuel delivery and the immediately backed down to wherever the throttle setting was, in the case of a big truck, the base idle setting. On a cold winter start I never advanced the throttle at all. One nice thing about Cats was they all started fairly easy in frigid weather, unlike Cummins that always needed a starting aid to get going.
I guess everything here on the left coast is different. :ROFLMAO:

/ Jimna 254 hard starting #50  
Left coast or right coast has absolutely nothing to do with it. I'm not following your drift at all..