Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully
Re: Jim\'s Pole Barn Project - hopefully

Yeah, I know 30X48 isn't big enough, but that is already going to be stretching the budget pretty then - well it'll break the budget. Compared to what I've got now I'll be in heaven - for at least a little while. Nice thing about pole barns, you can always add on.

I've thought about that. I've wrestled that around a couple of times. Since at this point I don't plan on doing anything to it not even gravel until at least next year I was hopping to keep some of the mud down (I know not possible) during construction. Actually another question I have. I would like to build this up 6 - 8". How should I build this up? If I removed the 6" of topsoil I'll then have to fill 12" correct? Wow, that is going to get costly.

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #23  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Actually another question I have. I would like to build this up 6 - 8". How should I build this up? If I removed the 6" of topsoil I'll then have to fill 12" correct? Wow, that is going to get costly.
)</font>

Jim. I don't think you have any other choice but to remove the grass and topsoil, its just a matter of when. In my case I think I dug out on average from 8" to 12" of foliage, leaves, roots, etc. I also wanted my pole barn to be higher than anything else around it so I brought in lots of fill sand. I added over 18" of fill sand in some places, little by little, watering and compacting as I went. Fill sand isn't that expensive when compared to the possibilty of water problems and/or settling concrete, etc.

I don't blame you for wanting to keep the grass until you are ready to do your floors. It would be much nicer to work off of than sand. I think it will be harder to remove the topsoil and grass once the barn is up but I'm sure you can do it. One nice thing about having the fill sand in a year or two before the concrete goes in is that it gives it more time to settle.

Spence

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #24  

It's looking good. The question I have is, "What size of auger was on the post-hole digger and what size posts are you going to set?". The reason I ask is that I have a small pole barn project in the planning stages and my 24 hp Kubota will only handle a 9" auger, or so they tell me. It just means that I'll have to drill 3 holes and do some maual labor to set the posts, which I'd like to avoid if possible. I'm a lazy bugger at heart - actually as I get older I've found out that it's better to work smarter rather than just harder.
Good post. Keep the photos coming. As a postscript, ask your neighbour if he wants to move in next to me.

I'm using 6X6 on the corners everything else will be 4x6. It is only a 9" auger. We've done some scraping with the manual post hole diggers as well as I moved the tractor a little bit to "waller" the holes. Hopefully I've got them big enough. Didn't know anybody w/ a 12" (a got lucky with the 9" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) and didn't want to go buy one for a post hole digger that I don't own and will probably never see again.

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #26  

Jim,
Should have asked /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif..........I have a 12"

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #27  

JIm:

Thanks for answering my questions. I hope I didn't sound critical, i was just wondering what combinations you tried. Obviously, you got the job done. Looking forward to the plans if you can scan them in.

Thanks.

Joe

Life without a little stress isn't worth living.

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #28  

Jwstewar,

Nice project you have going on,,,, same with me. I am building a 40'x64'x12' with 3 overhead doors. Holes are all dug with concrete in the bottom, and most of the poles are setting in the holes. All the post are 6x6's.

I may have to start taking pictures of mine and start a new thread like yours /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe we can have a race /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Did the neighbors think "What kinda hillbilly do we have" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif when you had the trucks and tractor hooked together /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good luck,,, RedDog <font color="orange"> Kioti DK65 </font>

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #29  

Wow, I have a 8x12 barn just like that. I think I'm gonna give up on the idea of ever moveing it. lol. Dave

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #30  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( my 24 hp Kubota will only handle a 9" auger, or so they tell me. )</font>

It isn't as simple as that. Your 24hp Kubota will handle a 24" auger if you're only drilling in loose sand 2 feet deep. On the other hand, if you are drilling through hard bedrock, then even the 9" would be beyond the reach of 24hp for anything more than scratching the surface. I just dug holes with a 15" auger (although I busted the extension I made) in very rocky, hard gravel and clay hardpan with a 2710 (see this thread ). If you know where to get a 12 or 15 inch auger, give it a try. I'll bet you surprise yourself with what your 24 horses can do /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif