Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #31  
Re: Jim\'s Pole Barn Project - hopefully

I'll second Paul's comment about 24 hp being enough...depending on the soil. I punched holes for a barn recently. My soil is heavy clay, but few rocks and the moisture content was perfect (perfect moisture content in July; the only good thing I can say about this sodden summer). I used a 37 hp tractor and an 18" auger. Never took the tractor above idle, and I couldn't rake the dirt away from the hole as fast as it was coming up.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully

Got three poles up and ancored on Saturday. Got the fourth standing, but the hole wasn't quite right and need to move it a little bit. So we just left it standing w/ help from the tractor. And then the rains came and haven't stopped. Ended up taking the fourth pole down so that I could take the post hole digger off and bush hog the yard - gave up on mowing the grass is growing just too doggone fast /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

That is the way it is still standing w/ some extra mud and water standing around. Maybe if it dries up a little I can get the fourth back in the ground tomorrow night and since I'm off Friday maybe I can pour concrete and get rest of the yard cut so that I can have Sat/Sun to set more poles.

Attachments

• 312457-MVC-079F.JPG
    312457-MVC-079F.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 979
   / Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #33  

Jim,

Boy, can I relate. My wife and I were setting poles last Sunday, and had to go sit in the truck until the afternoon's monsoon passed over. Nothing like trying to plumb a 200 pound post while you slide around on wet clay. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Man that sounds way too familiar. Of course sliding around in the clay wasn't half as bad as when I went to grab one of the 2x4 and turned around and stepped right into the hole for the garage door. One leg in the hole, one on top and me on my jelly belly and my BVDs shining through the crotch of the Levi's that were now air conditioned. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Luckily the camera wasn't around then. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #35  

I wish the wife had taken a picture of that.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #36  

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It's 16:45 on Friday and I'm worn out for the week. That descripition gave me a chuckle that I really needed. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The pictures are pretty bad, tried to lighten up some. At least you can see what is going on now. Will try to take some better ones later. On Saturday we got the 4th corner post reset and got everything squared/plummed up. Decided before the rain came again we would concreate them in. Took longer than what I would have thought to mix the concrete. The 4th hole that we missed on our measuring took quite a bit of conrete. We then set 2 more poles but didn't cement them Saturday. Sunday after buying more cement. We cemented the 2 poles from Saturday and continued setting the poles for the right side. All of the poles for the right side are now set and cemeted. That is 10 of the 25 total poles.

Attachments

• 313904-poles.JPG
    313904-poles.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 919

Another shot from the front corner.

Attachments

• 313905-poles2.JPG
    313905-poles2.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 669

This one is looking from what will be the left side of the building at the right side poles. Unfortunately, It'll probably be awhile till I get back to it as there are things both days this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and the following weekend I'll be heading out of town for work. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Attachments

• 313909-SidePoles.JPG
    313909-SidePoles.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 602

OK, here are some better pictures of the poles. The concrete has now set and everything is good and solid. Just haven't had a chance to remove the bracing yet.

Attachments

• 314776-MVC-107F.JPG
    314776-MVC-107F.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 803