Kubota BX25 sputtering under load (not fuel filters?)

/ Kubota BX25 sputtering under load (not fuel filters?) #21  
Thumbs up for the Racor. They are great filters.

/ Kubota BX25 sputtering under load (not fuel filters?) #22  
Mkoehr, Where and how did you mount your new filter setup? BTW, congrats on figuring your problem.

I got to run my BX yesterday for about an hour and a half that is doing the same as yours after draining the tank completely and replacing both filters. When the tractor started missing and spitting I shut it down and pulled the top hose off the 2nd filter and fuel just dribbled. It turns out that the electric pump is failing after it gets hot. Got a new pump ordered.

Last edited:
   / Kubota BX25 sputtering under load (not fuel filters?) #23  
I had a BX2200 until I upgraded to the BX25, but the 2200 was doing the same thing. Going up hill it just ran out of power and on flat ground only seemed to have half the normal power. Replaced two fuel filters and it ran perfectly again until I sold it. I changed them at about 400 hours. I didn't know if they had been changed before or not since I bought it with about 200 hours on it to begin with.

/ Kubota BX25 sputtering under load (not fuel filters?)
Mkoehr, Where and how did you mount your new filter setup? BTW, congrats on figuring your problem.

I'm too ashamed to attach a photo. Since I needed to get my tractor back to functional pretty quickly, I will only say that it involved zip ties and duct tape! I plan on trying to fashion something more permanent this weekend. There was a good thread on here that I found during a search that had some good pictures of where to mount it. After a lot of trial and error, it appears that everyone who has installed a racor on the BX has put it in the same place, just forward of the FEL mount on the left side.

/ Kubota BX25 sputtering under load (not fuel filters?) #25  
I'm experiencing the same issue on my BX23 with 540 hours on it. Replaced both filters (they don't even have an hour on them) and the same thing. The old filters were not that dirty but this was the least expensive troubleshooting route.

I have great flow from tank to first filter. (Just ask my shirt). It runs for about 10-15 mins great then extreme power loss to the point of almost not getting back to barn. I let it sit then try again, same routine. I think I'm going to check my fuel cap to ensure the vent is not clogged.

/ Kubota BX25 sputtering under load (not fuel filters?) #26  
I dont do forums normally, but had searched here about folks that have had the same problem with their BX25 as I did, prompted me to do so!! I may be to late but found out some great info that may be helpful about their bx25 sputtering along with several other issues! So, Ill begin by saying that my Bx25 was bought about 20 months ago and all of last year, ran perfect! But this year about 2 months ago, all of a sudden, my bx started sputtering til it died! So, I called my dealer and was told I should change my filters, There is 2! I did, and it ran great for an hour or two, then, yep, it did it again! Moving along, % filter change outs later, it would do the same thing, ru great for a while and then, ultimately stop! Crap! What could it be? Couldnt be the filters, at least while it ran good!! So, I figured there must be junk in the tank! Problem is..... ya cant get in the tank! So, I cut a 3.5" hole with a hole saw where I could get my hand in there and could see the fill inlet! Yep, its ok! Diesel dont blow, its plastic, no spark! I pumped the good fuel out and low and behold, there was what appeared to be some sort of grit in a well right beside the inlet! Also, I might add, the inlet, is only 1/4" tall(not tall enough) is right beside the well wher the trash was, so any shaking would let the trash right down the inlet! Cleaned and dried and vacumed the tank out and while I was in there, I could feel the float that tells ya how much fuel ya have, and the arm on the float was horribly rusted and flaking off into the tank!!!! So, after cleaning the tank thouroghly, I cut a piece of alluminum tread plate, 1/8" over the hole with Permitex, filled up the tank after putting new filters on again, and yep, fired up and ran great!,,,, for about and hour and half!! Tired of it all< I called my dealer I know pretty welll and he ask if i had changed the filters, yep, I said, I started to tell him about the rusty arm inside and he interupted me and said, I was going to mention that, weve had several tractors with the same problem as you! He said, we changed the metal arm out with a new one and changed the filters and that cured the problem! So, Its scheduled to be changed next week! The sputtering ti it dies is probably all the rust in the tank cluttering your filter, and it does it very fast, like an hour! Also, he told me thar the 2 switches under your seat on the right side, sometimes had caused very similar problems, diesels just dont stop when cut off sometimes, ya know, but i checked those, and that wasnt a problem! Heres the other problem! Ya might say, that was stupid to cut a hole inyour tank , but when asked, have they(Kubota),changed what the fuel arm is made out of? I dont know he said! So, if they havent changed what the arm is made of, itll happen again!! SO, if your reading this and have the same issue, and it under warranty, let"m know you know about the rusted arm in the fuel tank! I acctually thought about taking it out and using the old method of knowing how much fuel i had, but, its warranted, so, Ill get it fixed. They really are awesome machines! But just had to figure it out and I hope this helps give ya some helpful info!! Ill post later to let ya know for sure if that cured it!!

/ Kubota BX25 sputtering under load (not fuel filters?) #27  
Yup. Corrosion in the pickup/gauge is a known issue on the BX.

I dont know if there is a new and improved part for the pickup now or not.

Another good reason to keep the tank full and add conditioner. Hopefully that'll keep the corrosion issues down.

/ Kubota BX25 sputtering under load (not fuel filters?) #28  
I'm getting ready here at 9:30 pm and change this stupid filter again because of the flakes!! Gets old! You'd think from these folks(Japanese manufacture) they'd made the rod out of plastic or brass or something!!! For a 23 thousand dollar machine, what would another 50 cent part meant??? If this keeps up after the new part goes in( rust) I'll snatch it out!! It's a shame they would do something so dumb! Our time laying under our tractors, shouldn't be free!!

/ Kubota BX25 sputtering under load (not fuel filters?) #29  
Did you check to see if there is an upgraded part? Might be worth it to check.

/ Kubota BX25 sputtering under load (not fuel filters?) #30  
I ask Lee, my dealer, if the new one was any different? He said, ugh ..... Ya know? I'm not sure!! For the troubles.... I'd just as soon use a stick to measure, ya know?! But, as long as it's an issue, I'll keep taking it back if it continues, just to be a thorn!:) I'm just that kinda guy!! What's sad is... They know it's an issue and like the old car manufactures, they won't send all their customers a letter telling them to bring it in! Has a Kioti before, great tractor, but, their problem was the fuel injector pump and they wouldn't own up to that either! What happened to caring about your customers??