Kubota mx5200

/ Kubota mx5200 #1  

Mikejeakins

Gold Member
Tractor
Hustler super Z
I've been looking at the mx 5200. could any one give me some feed back on the pro's and cons of this tractor? I will be using this tractor with a front end loader and a skidding winch for working in the woods.

/ Kubota mx5200 #2  
First off welcome to tbn! I just got a mx 5200 for that same purpose. I have a fransfard winch (7600 lbs pulling force) and so far works great. I have only 5 hours on tractor so far and I am really liking it. I have a few pictures here I posted, look for thread "First firewood hitch with mx 5200" in the kubota owning operating forum. I will update you on what I learn as I use the tractor more. I have been doing 400 + face cord commercially for the past 6 years and I expect the larger size of the mx series to really help.

/ Kubota mx5200 #3  
Here are some pictures of what I skidded out. 1 large maple, about 50 ft long, 2 smaller beech, between 40 and 50 ft long. I guess about 1.5 face cord and total weight skidded out around 3000lbs to 3500lbs. Tractor pulled them pretty well. I did get hung up going up a small hill in the trail that had a sharp downhill just afterwards. In other words it high centered over a large hump in the road and the tractor spun out. I simply dropped the large maple log and drove ahead past the hump, and then winched the maple log back to the tractor. Everything else went great.

Attachments

• 20150404_165448.jpg
    20150404_165448.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 1,283
  • 20150404_165327.jpg
    20150404_165327.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 2,508
  • 20150404_165305.jpg
    20150404_165305.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 1,605
   / Kubota mx5200
That is what I'm shooting for. to grow my firewood business. I'm small Potatoes.

/ Kubota mx5200 #5  
The mx series seems to be the best size/weight to still be able to "maneuver" in the woods, but still have enough power and pulling force to actually pull good size hitches. I actually value maneuverability quite high on my list for what I need the tractor to do. For me any bigger then the mx, the harder to do a lot, such as get turned around in the woods, maneuver on the landings, and transport to site locations.

I am loving the width and stability the mx5200 is giving me over my old b7800. Really makes doing large pulls with the winch much more stable. Add to that the beefiness of the 3 point hitch, I bet I have added about 1000lbs extra pulling force before the winch dozer blade " breaks loose" or the whole unit would slide instead of the log.

I am concerned about the regen emmision system on the mx5200 possible starting a fire in dry leaves, but I dont know for sure yet if I should even worry yet, I havent even gone through a regeneration yet. I am going to put a fire extinguishr on the tractor just because of th regen system, but I should have that anyway. Hate to have a fire on someone elses wood plot and burn it all up.

Another firewood dealer I am good friends with runs a mx5100 (same as 5200, but no emmision regen system on it) You should see what he pulls out! He has a larger winch then me.

Definitly gt the rear tires loaded as I have noticed that the loader sticks a ways out from the tractor and with full bucket or log on forks, and if you travel through bumps, I can feel the tractor teeter a bit or rear end feel light. Just little bit. I actually like the loader out further from tractor as I can load my dump truck easier.

Dont know how far you are from west virginia, but I got a heck of a deal on my mx5200 from PARCS in Salem west virginia.

/ Kubota mx5200 #6  
mike: i previously owned a former version (MX5000) this is a great work horse, & think you're on the right track. namesray seems to have the info you're looking for including the suggestion to load the rear tires for traction & stability. there are members on the forum who have also loaded the ft. wheels for increased traction, etc, although K does not recommend for whatever reasons (already discussed on the forum). just to say this model seems to fit your needs for your application. one thought in terms of safety: you might research options for some kind of overhead reinforced canopy or even overhead frame (?) for working in the woods esp w/logging/firewood. don't know much about, just safety suggestion. can't go wrong w/MX in your described application. best regards

/ Kubota mx5200 #7  
I'm thinking that Steppenwolf was just joking around ...

For their price point in the "Kubota" lineup, the MX CUT'S are a good value. Compared to a similar Grand L (in open station form) the MX offers a fair budget alternative. Obviously once you look at competing models from other brands, the MX CUT'S "value" isn't so apparent.

/ Kubota mx5200
My dealer suggested putting windshield washer fluid in the rear tires.

/ Kubota mx5200 #9  
MX5200, 4x4, r4 tires loaded, rear remote, block heater, Ansung loader, ss quick attach bucket and forks, woods rc6 bushhog, contractor pro 20ft trailer rated 14k load, chains and binders, front and rear tire chains and tensioners.

$33,500 delivered.

I am partial to kubota, but thats just me. I have 3 kubota dealers close by. Parts and repairs come easy due to close dealer and large network. If you have a different brand dealer close by, I would really give them a look as dealer support can really save some headaches.

All brands will fail sooner or later. Buy what you like. I like kubota because I love how the controls set up in the operators station and I grew up around kubota equipment.

if you have different brand dealers close by, go sit on those tractors, try them out, and pick the best one you like that suits you in all categories.

/ Kubota mx5200 #10  
MX5200, 4x4, r4 tires loaded, rear remote, block heater, Ansung loader, ss quick attach bucket and forks, woods rc6 bushhog, contractor pro 20ft trailer rated 14k load, chains and binders, front and rear tire chains and tensioners.

$33,500 delivered.

I am partial to kubota, but thats just me. I have 3 kubota dealers close by. Parts and repairs come easy due to close dealer and large network. If you have a different brand dealer close by, I would really give them a look as dealer support can really save some headaches.

All brands will fail sooner or later. Buy what you like. I like kubota because I love how the controls set up in the operators station and I grew up around kubota equipment.

if you have different brand dealers close by, go sit on those tractors, try them out, and pick the best one you like that suits you in all categories.

That seems like a decent price for the package. How does the Ansung loader compare to the factory one?