Kubota Skid-Steer

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #11  
...... when a Kubota SS hits the market, it'll be done right.

That remains to be seen. When JD made their own skid steers several years ago, there were multiple issues. Most were fixed and renamed the Series II machines. The problems were a mixed bag of issues. I would not buy a first year skid steer. This is a birth of a new machine. Not just an evolution of an existing product.

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #12  
I agree with Radman1, just because it has a reputable name doesn't make it perfect. It will take a couple of years to work out the bugs. Plus in order to compete they'll have to keep up with the allready existing SS's out there.

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #14  
That is more myth than anything.

I have a friend who works for JD construction in sales. When I was looking for a used skid steer several years ago, he recommended not getting the early models. He knew they had issues. Some were good, but overall they saw a lot of warranty issues from pumps, wiring, drives ect. Engine seemed to be the more reliable part but it was probably an existing motor used by JD for other purposes. Why do you think they called them the Series II? It was an attempt to get beyond the issues of the originals.

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #15  
I have a friend who works for JD construction in sales. When I was looking for used skid steer several years ago, he recommended not getting the early models. He knew they had issues. Some were good but overall, they saw a lot of warranty issues from pumps, wiring, drives ect. Engine seemed to be the more reliable part but it was probably an existing motor used by JD for other purposes. Why do you think they called them the Series II? It was an attempt to get beyond the issues of the originals. He said the Series II addressed the problems.

The issues on the Deere's where few and far between and the issues they did have where more about quality control problem they had with a new startup factory. I had 2 right out of box with absolutely no issues. I now have 1 of the very last series I. I would think twice about owning another series I machine.

Alot of rumors where started from within JD itself by employees that where ticked that the loaders where built in a non union factory. The series II was started when they moved production to a union factory in Dubuque Iowa. Some changes where made but the series change had as much to do with location change as anything.

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #16  
My friend worked for a dealer, not JD corporate. He had used JD skidsteers on the lot. I asked him if he would buy one. He said no. Check construction forums and other websites in older posts. Whether it was quality control, subcontractors or whatever, there were issues. That was several years ago. I don't see it as a myth. Not many companies hit a homerun out of the box with an entirely new product. The early CAT skid steers were heralded to be the most fantastic skid steer ever. "If it is a CAT, it has to be good" doesn't mean it is. Even owners who look back now saw some issues. Problems did arise but overall they had a good start. Kubota is launching in the biggest economic downturn since the depression. Construction sales are way down. Low financing and rebates everywhere. Bobcat had to resort to free FELs, rebates and/or 0% fincancing to get the CUT sales. I hope Kubota makes the best skid steer the human race has ever seen, but I won't be the first to buy one.

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #17  
I agree with Radman1, just because it has a reputable name doesn't make it perfect.

One thing that does give us some added confidance about this is that its been in development far longer than anyone knows. Its not some sudden rush to market, they seem to have had it in their back pockets for a long time. Having seen it, its classic Kubota. Lots of shafts, few hoses, many major assemblies bolted together. They had a few issues to iron out on the prototyles we saw, but for an early machine it was really impressive and drove very well.

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #18  
One thing that does give us some added confidance about this is that its been in development far longer than anyone knows. Its not some sudden rush to market, they seem to have had it in their back pockets for a long time. Having seen it, its classic Kubota. Lots of shafts, few hoses, many major assemblies bolted together. They had a few issues to iron out on the prototyles we saw, but for an early machine it was really impressive and drove very well.

Not saying it's going to be a bad machine but I never want to be the guinea pig especially when it's my hard earned $$$$$$$ paying. Now if they want to give me one for trial then that's a different story :D. I don't care who is making the product there are allways bugs to be worked out for the 1st year or so, just the nature of the beast.

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #19  
Good to hear that someone else has heard similar.

I doubt the SS will ever replace the tractor. Skidsteers dont do very well working ground, planting, etc. They are not made to pull, but rather lift. They difinatally have their place in construction but you don't see too many on farms around where I live because the only two things they really use a loader for in unloading pallets of seed/fertalizer, and moving round bales. Instead of a SS that can only do that, most opt to buy a tractor w/ loader so they can also work ground with it.

If you have never run skid steer I can understand you comments.
First of all the number of attachment in in the hundreds compared to a tractor and most can be used on a farm. If around where you live they only use it for unloading pallets, well that's like having a Ford 350 Dually 4x4 to go get groceries - a lot of over kill and not using the equipment's full potential.

I had nothing but tractors then I thought why not I'll go get a skid steer. Well I have to tell you, on any given gay I connect the back hoe, disconnect then the trencher, then a variety of buckets, land grader, rake, and forks, and my best attachment the grappler.

I'm always putting in water lines or electrical lines and clean up is a snap with the grappler.

There is nothing better than pulling up to an attachment throwing a switch in the can releasing the attachment and moving to the next attachment and hooking up and throwing the switch again to lock it in and doing this in seconds and never leaving the cab.

I've done more with my skid steer than I could have thought of doing with a tractor. Now I do not plant crops so pulling a disc is not my concern.

Lastly with the tractor I had flats on a daily basis plus got stuck often in the sand, with the skid steer I float over the sand and obviously never got a flat.

You don't realize how much lifting power you need till you have it. The Kubota I had never had the guys to lift anything.

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #20  
Cat driver,

Hmmm, I'm not sure how you "obviously never got a flat". I've been warned about flats with a skid steer. (Or do you mean a compact track loader?)

I have both a skid steer with over the tire tracks and a 50 hp tractor with loader. In my limited experience with the ss, it runs circles around the tractor for doing loader work. Yesterday, I used the tractor for moving gravel to fill around a new driveway (I had to cross new concrete and didn't want to do it with the metal tracks). Today I was only working on one side and used the skid steer. Wow, day and night difference! So much easier to grade, dig into a pile of gravel, backgrade, see where the bucket is, compact the gravel, etc.

I think I'd rate a skid steer more useful than a tractor with loader and a box blade.

The only drawback is that turning with the tracks tends to dig up the surface. One of these days I'll take the tracks off and see how it does that way.

Ken