Kubota Skid-Steer

/ Kubota Skid-Steer
If you have never run skid steer I can understand you comments.
First of all the number of attachment in in the hundreds compared to a tractor and most can be used on a farm. If around where you live they only use it for unloading pallets, well that's like having a Ford 350 Dually 4x4 to go get groceries - a lot of over kill and not using the equipment's full potential.

I had nothing but tractors then I thought why not I'll go get a skid steer. Well I have to tell you, on any given gay I connect the back hoe, disconnect then the trencher, then a variety of buckets, land grader, rake, and forks, and my best attachment the grappler.

I'm always putting in water lines or electrical lines and clean up is a snap with the grappler.

There is nothing better than pulling up to an attachment throwing a switch in the can releasing the attachment and moving to the next attachment and hooking up and throwing the switch again to lock it in and doing this in seconds and never leaving the cab.

I've done more with my skid steer than I could have thought of doing with a tractor. Now I do not plant crops so pulling a disc is not my concern.

Lastly with the tractor I had flats on a daily basis plus got stuck often in the sand, with the skid steer I float over the sand and obviously never got a flat.

You don't realize how much lifting power you need till you have it. The Kubota I had never had the guys to lift anything.

I am not quite sure what you mean by your comment directed towards me.

Yes I have put several hours on a skid loader. And yes their are a lot of things they do better than a tractor, but they will still never replace a tractor. As I mentioned, they are designed for construction, most of the jobs you listed sounds like construction work to me and not farm work.

In a perfect world, with unlimited money, I'm sure everyone would have a SS, but they are expensive, and the bucket attachments are about 3x to 4x's the cost of 3ph equipment, not to mention the base price of the unit to begin with, that cant even work ground.

Sure some farmers have them, but most dont, because they cant justify a $30000+ peice of equipment that cant work ground. Tractor loaders will do the same jobs, just a little slower. But if your in a hurry, your probabally not a farmer.

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #22  
Im actually amazed it took this long to see kubota skids! The fact is kubota builds quality diesel machines, we all know it,we all buy them,we all love them! Bring on the skids!

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #23  
Around all the farms in my area you will find at least one skid steer if not two. We use our to clean barns and many other task. We must change attachments on it 15 to 20 times a day. it is one tool I would not want to be without. Many smaller farms use them as their main loader source only needing a bucket tractor to work the forage piles wile filling them.
Rob

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #24  
Sure some farmers have them, but most dont, because they cant justify a $30000+ peice of equipment that cant work ground.

Thats not true at all. A vast majority of farms do have skid loaders. Not for dirt work, but because a skid loader will outlift any small tractor and can work well in tight areas.

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #25  
Sure some farmers have them, but most dont, because they cant justify a $30000+ peice of equipment that cant work ground.

Actually the smaller skid steers start at well under $20K for a new one. For a lot of farm use, the smaller ones can get into smaller areas that the bigger models cannot (e.g. cleaning out barns, stalls, etc.)

In today's difficult construction market, used skid steers are available for $5-10K. Most of the used ones have a lot of life left although you need to be cautious about how well they have been treated.

Ken

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #26  
Actually the smaller skid steers start at well under $20K for a new one. For a lot of farm use, the smaller ones can get into smaller areas that the bigger models cannot (e.g. cleaning out barns, stalls, etc.)

In today's difficult construction market, used skid steers are available for $5-10K. Most of the used ones have a lot of life left although you need to be cautious about how well they have been treated.

Ken

I would say about 1/2-2/3 of farmers I know have a SS, as they are very useful and can get into places and outlift any other piece of equipment that can fit into the same area. That said, none of the farmers I know have ever bought a new SS whereas they have purchased a new tractor.
If the SS goes down in need of maint. it is a PITA, but not a factor that will stop them from operating their farm, a tractor going down can screw them out of getting the ground worked, hay raked, or silage hauled if it becomes a maint. casualty.
Waiting for a day for the parts to arrive and half a day to get them installed and function tested can make a huge difference in losing a weather window.

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #27  
I don't know about other property owners, but I can imagine how many could use 4 machines (I know I could use 4 anyway) :D
#1: Lawn/Garden Tractor to mow grass and maybe pull a small cart.
#2: Tractor for 3PT work, a loader for light FEL work, and to pull a larger cart.
#3: Excavator for backhoe work (much better than a tractor mounted hoe)
#4: Skid steer for heavy loader work and for high output hydraulic SS attachments.

All it takes to own those 4 machines is money. If there is enough money a man can own more than one of each in different sizes.:cool:

Only one of those 4 can do all the jobs the others can do... a tractor. A tractor won't do all the jobs as well or as quickly. A skid steer comes close, just misses out on the 3PT work.

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #28  
I don't know about other property owners, but I can imagine how many could use 4 machines (I know I could use 4 anyway) :D
#1: Lawn/Garden Tractor to mow grass and maybe pull a small cart.
#2: Tractor for 3PT work, a loader for light FEL work, and to pull a larger cart.
#3: Excavator for backhoe work (much better than a tractor mounted hoe)
#4: Skid steer for heavy loader work and for high output hydraulic SS attachments.

All it takes to own those 4 machines is money. If there is enough money a man can own more than one of each in different sizes.:cool:

Only one of those 4 can do all the jobs the others can do... a tractor. A tractor won't do all the jobs as well or as quickly. A skid steer comes close, just misses out on the 3PT work.

LOL. Yeah, all it takes is money ;)

I might add a 4wheeler or utility vehicle for quick transportation of people and equipment/supplies.

3&4 can be combined into a TLB at a lower cost, but you are right, a mini excavator and a skid steer are more effective.

It all depends on how much and what kind of work you need to do and how much time you have to do it and what terrain you have. 3/4s of our land is such that it is only accessible with a 4wheeler (maybe) or a horse, at least until the other equipment builds a trail.

Ken

/ Kubota Skid-Steer #29  
I heard a very similar story. When told to me it was said that Kubota and Bobcat had an informal agreement that Bobcat would not get into the tractor market if Kubota stayed out of the SS market. When Bobcat announced it was going to sell Kiota under the Bobcat name Kubota started developing SS.

MarkV

Actually, Ingersol Rand sold Bobcat to Daedong which was good for Kioti, who started mimicking Kubota appearances somewhere after their LB1914 model, which was a very vesatile subcut that weighed 2000lbs and for a 20hp tractor, you could put a concrete mixer on the back. Kioti's biggest flaw was its parts and service distribution network. Kioti has a nice product today, but Kubota, I am convinced, could probably outdo all of them and isn't afraid to try.:thumbsup: