L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #11  
ya, the new tractor has a switch by the emergency blinkers that engages the 4x4. so its electrical/hydraulic engaged. wouldnt think it would matter

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #12  
WRONG......You must be completely stopped and you must depress the clutch when shifting from 2 to 4 wheel drive and from 4 to 2 wheel drive. You might be referring to the differential lock in which case clutch does not have to be used nor does tractor have to be stopped.

Sorry, but depressing the clutch is not necessary. The front drive train is moving at the same speed as the rear so engaging while rolling is only putting power to already rotating gears, not engaging any stationary gears. No clutch required. However, if the drive train is tight due to lots of turning and moving, depressing the clutch can help the disengage process. I actually just roll back a few feet to help release the binding torque and never use the clutch.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #13  
From the Manual:

That picture looks like a geared tractor. The HST manual may have just taken the text from a geared tractor manual. If the HST pedal is in neutral the effect is the same a using the clutch.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #14  
But on a gear tractor, You DONT neet to press the clutch and you DONT need to be stopped. Same as a typical 4wd truck. going from 4hi to 2hi and vice versa.
I have a gear tractor and engage/disengage 4WD on the go, without the clutch all the time.
Shifts smooth and easy.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #15  
Page 4-10 of my Kioti DK35SE HST manual has this written under a "Caution:" note:

"
To avoid accident:
- Engage the switch only when the vehicle is stationary.
- While the 4WD is engaged, drive the vehicle with low speed as steering and braking characteristics may differ.
- It is possible to engage the 4WD during driving. However, you may hear noise or feel slight shift impact some at times in this case. For safe driving, engage the 4WD when the tractor is stationary.
"

(I just have a manual and no tractor--it is to arrive next week).

I presently have a Kubota L275DT. Like others I don't use the clutch taking it out of 4WD but ensure the transmission is not pulling heavily when disengaging the 4WD. I am normally stopped when engaging 4WD.

By the way, the phrase "you may hear noise or feel slight shift impact some at times in this case." above is from the manual (not a misquote).

As is this handy tip (P. 4-57) for determining that you have mounted the rear tires correctly:

"
For agricultural tires, make sure to install them with their arrow marks on their side pointing to the front driving direction.

The tire is correctly installed if the mark "V" is shown straight when the tire is in the forward position.
"

:)

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #16  
Well the manual is the same for the gear and HST models. Yes that is a Gear type in the picture, the manual obviously says to use the clutch, but I have done it several times without the clutch also, no grinding or anything, like others have said, I would not do it under heavy load.

James K0UA

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #17  
Sorry, but depressing the clutch is not necessary. The front drive train is moving at the same speed as the rear so engaging while rolling is only putting power to already rotating gears, not engaging any stationary gears. No clutch required. However, if the drive train is tight due to lots of turning and moving, depressing the clutch can help the disengage process. I actually just roll back a few feet to help release the binding torque and never use the clutch.

I guess you're right and all the Kubota engineers and the Kubota manual is wrong then.................and lets not forget that the L3400 if actually front wheel assist with a slight lead on the front wheels over the rear wheels. There's a reason they give you a manual when you purchase a tractor.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #18  
Maybe the question should be, "should" you use the clutch or do you "have" to use the clutch.

On my L5030, I only use the clutch to start it and not to change ranges or engage/disengage 4WD. Should I, maybe; do I have to, no.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #19  
Maybe the question should be, "should" you use the clutch or do you "have" to use the clutch.

On my L5030, I only use the clutch to start it and not to change ranges or engage/disengage 4WD. Should I, maybe; do I have to, no.

Interesting, On our B7800 and L3400, changing range selections without using the clutch will result in major gear grind. Our MX5100 (gear drive) manual also states to stop tractor and depress clutch........

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #20  
I guess you're right and all the Kubota engineers and the Kubota manual is wrong then.................and lets not forget that the L3400 if actually front wheel assist with a slight lead on the front wheels over the rear wheels. There's a reason they give you a manual when you purchase a tractor.

The engineers are just covering their butts.

They dont want someone stuck and flinging mud with teh back tires while the fronts are stationary and then yank the lever:confused2:

And even if the very slight lead/lag is factored into it, you still DONT need to press the cluth if the tractor is not moving.

I change from 4wd to 2wd and back quite frequently and have NEVER clutched or worried about comming to a complete stop. And this thread ISNT going to change how I do things either.

Like TripleR said, "maybe" we should, but we certainly do NOT "have" too.