L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #31  
do you have a clutch in an HST tractor??? my kioti HST has only brakes and the for and rev pedals.

I sure wish the Kubota was like the Kioti in this respect, but yes anything bigger than a BX has a clutch to the best of my knowledge.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #32  
Oh, yes, MUST use clutch to start, MUST use clutch to engage and disengage PTO, (not hydraulic like yours in the Kioti) and SHOULD use clutch for MFWD, and can use clutch for ranges changes if difficult to shift.

James K0UA
You can always disengage an unloaded geartrain without the clutch. If the implement is not doing work no clutch needed to disengage.
larry

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #33  
I sure wish the Kubota was like the Kioti in this respect, but yes anything bigger than a BX has a clutch to the best of my knowledge.

Well, I have thought that too, kinda wished I had a hydraulic PTO, but then sometimes when you are letting out the clutch slow and easy, because you are not sure if the rotary cutter is setting on a big rock.. well I am kinda glad for the clutch as the hydraulic PTO is going to pull in and engage pretty fast, and I am thinking my left foot is educated enough to be careful.. so sorta good and sorta not...

James K0UA

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #34  
Well, I have thought that too, kinda wished I had a hydraulic PTO, but then sometimes when you are letting out the clutch slow and easy, because you are not sure if the rotary cutter is setting on a big rock.. well I am kinda glad for the clutch as the hydraulic PTO is going to pull in and engage pretty fast, and I am thinking my left foot is educated enough to be careful.. so sorta good and sorta not...

James K0UA

I am use to operating tractors with independent PTO's in which the clutch does not disengage them, so I don't use the clutch on my L5030 to engage/disengage etc., rather if I have to disengage ASAP I do like on my other tractors and chop the throttle, hit the PTO lever and three point lift.

When I was running our Ford NAA/600's, hitting the clutch was instinctive, but I can't use them anymore.

I guess it is just what we get used to doing.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #35  
When I was running our Ford NAA/600's, hitting the clutch was instinctive, but I can't use them anymore.

Yeah for years I have always thought of the clutch as the safety net thing, shove in the clutch as soon as you hear something bad in the rotary cutter, In over 19 years of mowing I have never broke a shear pin, tho I did wad up a blade once on a finish mower, and smoked the belt before I could get the stupid hand PTO clutch disengaged on an old Long. Never did like that setup. So I still like the clutch thing for the PTO. but I have nothing against the newer Hydraulic PTO engagement either. Which is ironic as I am a rabid HST lover. I just love the control.

James K0UA

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #36  

Yeah for years I have always thought of the clutch as the safety net thing, shove in the clutch as soon as you hear something bad in the rotary cutter, In over 19 years of mowing I have never broke a shear pin, tho I did wad up a blade once on a finish mower, and smoked the belt before I could get the stupid hand PTO clutch disengaged on an old Long. Never did like that setup. So I still like the clutch thing for the PTO. but I have nothing against the newer Hydraulic PTO engagement either. Which is ironic as I am a rabid HST lover. I just love the control.

James K0UA

ok, question for you. i just got this new Kioti DK45SE HST tractor and i have not used the pto on it yet. with this tractor i simply flip an electrical switch and the pto engages. the sales man told me i dont have to power down, that it slowly engages. The manual says to reduce rpm first.

havnt used it yet. what does yours do?

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #37  

James K0UA

I would not be surprised to see Kubota move away from the clutch on HST models. They have now begun using a button PTO engagement on the Grand L I believe in lieu of the lever I have on mine. I have the button on our John Deere and have never liked it, I like the gradual engagement of a lever.

We will both probably be driving something we really don't like someday. I am not necessarily opposed to progress, but sometimes it takes me a while to adapt I guess. Of course at my age, I may never buy another new tractor.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #38  
I am talking about our Grand L5030 HSTC, we do have an M8540 with Hydraulic Shuttle Shift, but that is a whole different thing.

Since my L5030 does not have HST+ like the L40 Series, I am guessing it is similar to the ones on the Lxx00 Series though as I said, I am not sure.

I have driven older L Models and didn't use the clutch on them either as per their owners, maybe we were both wrong.

Yep, I just realized I was AGAIN talking about a gear tractor. HST is foreign to me.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #39  
I have an 8N and motorcycle and a jeep that all have a clutch. I never had any trouble using the clutch, so now on my 3700HST, I have found that I press the clutch out of habit when changing gears (ranges) or 4wd. So far no trouble. Why are folks trying to figure out when it is OK to not use the clutch? Does the tractor clutch have a wear issue?

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #40  
ok, question for you. i just got this new Kioti DK45SE HST tractor and i have not used the pto on it yet. with this tractor i simply flip an electrical switch and the pto engages. the sales man told me i dont have to power down, that it slowly engages. The manual says to reduce rpm first.

havnt used it yet. what does yours do?
I have the same setup and it turns on hard and fast.
I reduce the RPM to near idle before engaging the PTO.