L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #21  
I checked the manual for my 1981 Kubota L275DT. On Page 16 under Front Wheel Drive Lever (4WD):

"The front wheel drive is used only when greater traction power is required or to prevent the tractor from lunging during rotary tilling hard soil.
Pulling up the lever engages the front wheels for 4 wheel drive."

--no mention of the clutch.

I often take it out of 4WD while moving and without using the clutch but not under load. I normally put it into 4WD while stopped but at times have engaged it while moving under light load such as when approaching a hill.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #22  
Interesting, On our B7800 and L3400, changing range selections without using the clutch will result in major gear grind. Our MX5100 (gear drive) manual also states to stop tractor and depress clutch........

I am not a mechanic, so maybe there is a difference in the transmissions. I spoke with my dealer about this when I bought my tractor and while testing it out. Upon getting it home, I tried both ways and there was no grinding or difference with range selection either way and there was no difference in ease of changing.

I do come to a complete stop when changing ranges, but don't use the clutch.

I usually engage 4WD when stopped, but not always and don't use the clutch.

I am not advising anyone else to operate this way, just relating what works for me.

I don't run with scissors or go swimming right after I eat though.:laughing:

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #23  
WRONG......You must be completely stopped and you must depress the clutch when shifting from 2 to 4 wheel drive and from 4 to 2 wheel drive. You might be referring to the differential lock in which case clutch does not have to be used nor does tractor have to be stopped.
Wrong, but go ahead and baby it. All youre wasting is your time.
larry

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #24  
I am not a mechanic, so maybe there is a difference in the transmissions. I spoke with my dealer about this when I bought my tractor and while testing it out. Upon getting it home, I tried both ways and there was no grinding or difference with range selection either way and there was no difference in ease of changing.

I do come to a complete stop when changing ranges, but don't use the clutch.

I usually engage 4WD when stopped, but not always and don't use the clutch.

I am not advising anyone else to operate this way, just relating what works for me.

I don't run with scissors or go swimming right after I eat though.:laughing:

What tractor are you talking about?? More than likely you are talking about one of those fancier power-reverser types.

I am not positive how they work but I think it has to do with their own seperate clutches and syncronizers and junk.

The little L3400 doesnt have that and the clutch IS required for range changes

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #25  
Well, I guess I didn't see the HST part. Which I have never operated one.

So...unless things in this aspect are different from a HST to a gear tractor?????

But on a gear tractor, You DONT neet to press the clutch and you DONT need to be stopped. Same as a typical 4wd truck. going from 4hi to 2hi and vice versa.

So I apologize if I gave bad advice, as it pertains to HST. I was speaking as if it were a gear.
No problem. You were right.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #26  
Sorry, but depressing the clutch is not necessary. The front drive train is moving at the same speed as the rear so engaging while rolling is only putting power to already rotating gears, not engaging any stationary gears. No clutch required. However, if the drive train is tight due to lots of turning and moving, depressing the clutch can help the disengage process. I actually just roll back a few feet to help release the binding torque and never use the clutch.

The engineers are just covering their butts.

They dont want someone stuck and flinging mud with teh back tires while the fronts are stationary and then yank the lever:confused2:

And even if the very slight lead/lag is factored into it, you still DONT need to press the cluth if the tractor is not moving.

I change from 4wd to 2wd and back quite frequently and have NEVER clutched or worried about comming to a complete stop. And this thread ISNT going to change how I do things either.

Like TripleR said, "maybe" we should, but we certainly do NOT "have" too.

I guess you're right and all the Kubota engineers and the Kubota manual is wrong then.................and lets not forget that the L3400 if actually front wheel assist with a slight lead on the front wheels over the rear wheels. There's a reason they give you a manual when you purchase a tractor.
Yep, hes right and gives a cohesive explanation of why.
larry

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #27  
Also you do not have to use the clutch to change ranges on the L3400 HST just be stopped, and pedal in neutral position. I was always using the clutch for this and someone pointed out you dont need to, and I haven't used the clutch for range changes since. Only occasionally you have to bump the pedal and let it return to neutral to line things up. Also the whole range change thing is getting easier as the tractor wears in (now has about 67 hours). Manual says no clutch needed for range changes unless it is difficult to shift ranges, then they recmomend the blip the pedal and then push in clutch for a second and then try it.

James K0UA

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #28  
Also you do not have to use the clutch to change ranges on the L3400 HST just be stopped, and pedal in neutral position. I was always using the clutch for this and someone pointed out you dont need to, and I haven't used the clutch for range changes since. Only occasionally you have to bump the pedal and let it return to neutral to line things up. Also the whole range change thing is getting easier as the tractor wears in (now has about 67 hours). Manual says no clutch needed for range changes unless it is difficult to shift ranges, then they recmomend the blip the pedal and then push in clutch for a second and then try it.

James K0UA

do you have a clutch in an HST tractor??? my kioti HST has only brakes and the for and rev pedals.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #29  
What tractor are you talking about?? More than likely you are talking about one of those fancier power-reverser types.

I am not positive how they work but I think it has to do with their own separate clutches and syncronizers and junk.

The little L3400 doesnt have that and the clutch IS required for range changes

I am talking about our Grand L5030 HSTC, we do have an M8540 with Hydraulic Shuttle Shift, but that is a whole different thing.

Since my L5030 does not have HST+ like the L40 Series, I am guessing it is similar to the ones on the Lxx00 Series though as I said, I am not sure.

I have driven older L Models and didn't use the clutch on them either as per their owners, maybe we were both wrong.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #30  
Oh, yes, MUST use clutch to start, MUST use clutch to engage and disengage PTO, (not hydraulic like yours in the Kioti) and SHOULD use clutch for MFWD, and can use clutch for ranges changes if difficult to shift.

James K0UA