L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #41  
I have the same setup and it turns on hard and fast.
I reduce the RPM to near idle before engaging the PTO.

thank you for your reply. so whit is the use of the auto engage and dis-engage switch for? supposedly stops pto if arms are lifted and restarts after lowered. seems like a wasted switch if you have to lower throttle. too bad it didn't have a ramp-up feature.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #42  
thank you for your reply. so whit is the use of the auto engage and dis-engage switch for? supposedly stops pto if arms are lifted and restarts after lowered. seems like a wasted switch if you have to lower throttle. too bad it didn't have a ramp-up feature.
Good question.
I never found much use for that feature. I never use it.

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #43  
Yep, I just realized I was AGAIN talking about a gear tractor. HST is foreign to me.

Now LD1 please take this comment as intended, a very friendly bet, but I bet that if you could come over to my house and play in my gravel pile for an hour or 2 on my L3400HST, well I bet a whole dollar:laughing: that you would love it. And I am serious, if you ever get to Branson, Mo. You are welcome to come over and play with the tractor.

Regards
James K0UA

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #44  
k0ua said:
Yep, I just realized I was AGAIN talking about a gear tractor. HST is foreign to me.

Now LD1 please take this comment as intended, a very friendly bet, but I bet that if you could come over to my house and play in my gravel pile for an hour or 2 on my L3400HST, well I bet a whole dollar:laughing: that you would love it. And I am serious, if you ever get to Branson, Mo. You are welcome to come over and play with the tractor.

Regards
James K0UA

Maybe we need to find a tbn member close to ld and coordinate this?

:)

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #45  

Regards
James K0UA

Maybe we need to find a tbn member close to ld and coordinate this?

:)

I appreciate the gracious offer:)

But I am old-school and set in my ways.

I would no doubt like the HST for most operations. But I'd say 75% of the hours on my tractor are from cutting firewood, skidding logs, and towing the trailers 2-3 miles across the field and then down the road. So I really dont do a lot of direction or speed change. Another good bit of the hours are bushhogging large areas with wide turns, again, not much speed/direction change.

If I was going to be buying a tractor with FEL work and mowing as primary tasks, I'd consider it. But for what I do, my old-school tractor is just fine. Not to mention the HST ads complexity, cost, and robs HP from the PTO, all of which, for what I do, wasnt worth the trade off. But I guess thats why I ended up with the gear:thumbsup:

/ L3400 HST 4 wheel drive engagement #46  
I have an 8N and motorcycle and a jeep that all have a clutch. I never had any trouble using the clutch, so now on my 3700HST, I have found that I press the clutch out of habit when changing gears (ranges) or 4wd. So far no trouble. Why are folks trying to figure out when it is OK to not use the clutch? Does the tractor clutch have a wear issue?

Back problems, arthritic hips/knees, stroke/nerve damage, missing limbs etc., when I was younger, operating a clutch was not an issue. Now, it is problematic.