Liquid Lime/Calcium Anybody tried it?

/ Liquid Lime/Calcium Anybody tried it? #11  
Times are a changin'!!
We used to need lime applied every two years if you were gonna feed cattle on that pasture.
(This is in Virginia, near Roanoke)

The rain was so acidic, Oldsmobile sent out letters to owners that stated the windshield etching was due to acid rain,, NOT defective glass. That was in the mid 1980's.

It is different now. They have shut down the coal burning power plants up wind of my home.
The acid rain is gone.

I did some "serious gardening" in 2021 and 2022.
I checked the rainwater pH weekly, or whenever it rained.

I also stored rain water captured off my shed roof. All of the water was 7.0 pH,,
It was so neutral, I could change the pH of a gallon of water one full point with two drops of lemon juice!!.

I did not want to change the pH of my soil,,

Well, it turns out, that the rain is now 7.0 neutral pH!! :eek:

I do not know when it changed, but, my soil pH is rising so much, that it needs sulfur for some crops.
(most plants prefer slightly acidic soil)

The local county AG rep is still recommending lime,, there are other benefits to lime other than pH.
BUT, as far as pH,, I would DIY my soil tests before I spent a nickel on lime.

I am positive that lime is getting recommended a LOT based on history, rather than chemistry,,,

Spend the time, effort, and the few $$ for an Amazon available soil test kit.

/ Liquid Lime/Calcium Anybody tried it? #12  
Well I am seriously thinking about trying it in the one 17 acre coastal field, talked to the rep he gave me a price of $16.00 per acre.
I'd be interested to know if you see any results. You are not talking about a lot of money if it doesn't work. I would suggest you leave a skip somewhere in the middle of the field to see for sure if you notice any difference.

My guess is that if you see any difference, it will be very short lived. Changing the pH of soil is not going to happen overnight. It took millions of years to create the soil, you're not going to change it overnight.

Another option you might consider is using pelletized lime. It is a lot easier to apply than regular 'ag lime'. I have used it a few times at a rate of 200 lbs. per acre. This is also a temporary fix. You would probably have to apply it every year.

Even the 'ag lime' is usually a temporary fix and needs to be applied every 2-4 years. It all depends on your soil test results, and what the soil testing lab recommends.

/ Liquid Lime/Calcium Anybody tried it?
Seems cheap for short term action. I paid almost $70/ton to have ag lime spread in November.
A gallon of their product to the acre " Super Lime Plus " they call it, at $16 per gallon I think I am going to try it in 1 field anyway, I have drug around and waited a little late to go with ag lime I should have done it back in November of last year but I will try to stay on top of it and hit it this winter.

I'd be interested to know if you see any results. You are not talking about a lot of money if it doesn't work. I would suggest you leave a skip somewhere in the middle of the field to see for sure if you notice any difference.

My guess is that if you see any difference, it will be very short lived. Changing the pH of soil is not going to happen overnight. It took millions of years to create the soil, you're not going to change it overnight.

Another option you might consider is using pelletized lime. It is a lot easier to apply than regular 'ag lime'. I have used it a few times at a rate of 200 lbs. per acre. This is also a temporary fix. You would probably have to apply it every year.

Even the 'ag lime' is usually a temporary fix and needs to be applied every 2-4 years. It all depends on your soil test results, and what the soil testing lab recommends.
Yeah, I am pretty sure if it works at all it will mostly be because of what the plant soaks via leaf when I spray it and the a little through the root but for the price I think it's worth a shot, I would be really surprised if it actually changes the PH at all, another good thing is that they have a plant location about 50 miles South of me so I will just run down there and pick it up and save the shipping charge.

/ Liquid Lime/Calcium Anybody tried it? #15  
Its very cheap

/ Liquid Lime/Calcium Anybody tried it? #17  
Wish they'd just post their prices. Considering running a test. Maybe 5ac using
a liquid and 5ac using pelletized. Sock the N to all ac at green up time and see which
little patch does the best (if any difference). Pelletized will need to be put down fairly
soon. Liquid treated as a foliar spray for existing grass stands?

/ Liquid Lime/Calcium Anybody tried it? #18  
A gallon of their product to the acre " Super Lime Plus " they call it, at $16 per gallon I think I am going to try it in 1 field anyway, I have drug around and waited a little late to go with ag lime I should have done it back in November of last year but I will try to stay on top of it and hit it this winter.
Talked to one of their reps a few weeks ago at the Southern Farm Show in Raleigh NC. After some quick calculations, the cost was near the price of the ag lime by the time you factor in the cost of the shipping and equipment to spray the liquid.

Talked to one of their reps a few weeks ago at the Southern Farm Show in Raleigh NC. After some quick calculations, the cost was near the price of the ag lime by the time you factor in the cost of the shipping and equipment to spray the liquid.
I talked to a rep yesterday and since they have a place about 50 miles South of me, I will just run down there and pick it up, also the sprayer I use has 3 different spray nozzles and he told me that the liquid nitrogen nozzles would work good, but that they didn't recommend using the herbicide nozzle tips.

/ Liquid Lime/Calcium Anybody tried it? #20  
I sprayed mine myself and thought is was pretty easy.

1708690391806.jpeg