loaned new trailer - broken axle

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #31  
workinallthetime said:
oh i know he has a heavy unit :D thats why i suggested to him the used trailer on craigs list with twin 6000 lb axels for 1200 bucks. heck i need to buy it but not this month

lol yuppie kubota, :D

he its orange like all my stihl stuff and boomers had to match

Get a cash advance and pay it off next month, I did and its easy

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle
workinallthetime said:
rcrcomputing
there is a 12,000 lb bumper pull trailer in the tulsa craigs list for 1200.00 e-mail me and ill get you the info.

car hauler guy here with a wooden deck bought it for 600 bucks put new tires on it and have been pulling my bx23 around for 19 months on it and now im using it as my work platform for the lawn business and the b3030. my next purchase is a 1 ton with a dump bed after that i might consider a new trailer. did the research i guess i need to have the backhoe chained to the deck but thats the only thing ill do different. i haul something 5 days a week and have not had a bit of trouble with the law or the trailer.

happy towing and remember to maintain a 3-4 car length distance between you and the moron in front of you on the cell phone, eating a triple cheese burger, sack of fries and drinking a diet coke, driving 45 in the fast lane in his multi colored primed out 1996 honda with coffie can exhaust pipe draggin the ground due to he had it lowered with the insurence money from all the wrecks he caused slamming on his brakes cause he was about to miss his exit.
Email on the way... Though I'm a bit tapped at the moment. I just put a motor and a coupla other things in my 1-ton dually with a 12' flat dump bed. :) A whopping 2500.00

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle
irwin said:
Do we assume, from what you said "bussiness that I am great friends with. (Very good bussiness relationship)." that because of your friendship with the people in this business, you can more easily make money??? If this is so, I'd recommend, be careful how you handle this. Good relationships in business are worth more ? than a trailer?? of course only you know if they are worth it to you.. is the trailer worth more than your relationship with them?

That about nails it! Our bussiness relationship alone would be worth more than the trailer...
I'm more tuned to listening to you guys advice how to proceed with "trusting" the trailer now etc. than anything else. With the bussiness partner, if they feel they repaired it in good faith, that's good enough. And that they do make the good faith attempt is good enough for me.

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #34  
Just a mention here to check on, I would be amazed if all the components in towing are geared up to tow a 10,000 lb bumper pull trailer.

The hitch, the insert, the ball, the 5/8" pin that holds it all together etc. As I looked closer and closer at my bumper pulls and their capacity, I was suprised to find what the capacity of my components were.

Just something worth checking as you are going through.

I would not be suprised if there was a 5000 lb rated component that you are towing your 7000 lb (and weighing every bit of that apparently) trailer.

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #35  
Ok I guess I will put in my 2 cents worth. If I did my math correctly they put 6500 pounds on a trailer rated at 7000 pounds. I realize that the weight of the trailer subtracts from that. I also realize that the rating has a safety factor built in. If they told you they put 6500 pounds on it I would ask 1 or 2 things. 1. how did you put it on there, did you drive a forklift on the trailer to load a pallet. OR 2. Why are you lieing to me about what you put on the trailer. I dont see 6500 pounds breaking an axle on a 7000 pound trailer from normal usage. As far as checking the trailer out I would probably get a cheap laser pointer and put it against the back of the channel on each side, shine it to the front of the channel and see if the dot on the front is about the same place as the light is against the back. This should see if the frame is bent. Get a 6 ft level and do the same thing side to side. If everything is straight then you probably dont have a problem with the frame. If it is not straight you might check another trailer like yours and see how straight it is. I thought you said something about the axleS looking bowed have you checked to see if the other axle is straight or if it was bowed by whatever they did to it. The springs probably can be checked out with a good visual inspection. You can take a tape measure and check the distance from the inside of the tire to the frame. Hold the tape measure in the same spot and rotate the tire around to see if that distance is the same. Do that to all 4 tires. That should give you some idea of whether anything is bent or not

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #36  
They probably loaded the 6500# pallet using the forks on an 8000# Bobcat. Drove it on, dropped the pallet and backed the Bobcat off.

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #37  
We have customers that insist on our own brand of trailers, instead of a mass produced product... They have a concrete blasting company and load 8400 lbs of Atlas Copco compressor, blasting pellets, hose gear etcetera, on a 7000 lbs trailer with 2x 3600 Lbs axles... The trailers are on the road every single day and we get them for service every year. We replace the brakes and wheel bearings just to be sure, the guy just wants it to be good, not just good enough. Some of them might have a small crack in a frame, which we repair at the annual service inspection, but no bent frames.

i see 2 possibilities here: They lied about what they did to that trailer, or they sold you a light duty thing. The weld robot produced pressed steel frames might be cheap but they arent as integer as a welded tube frame with braces. I rebuilt my brothers 2 ton tandem trailer last winter, because the rear end was held up only by the aluminium sideboards, the 2mm pressed steel frame was cracked. I welded a new frame from 2x2" tubes with crossbars, and it is a totally different trailer now, no annoying vibrations in the frame, the tube frame has a much better torsional stability.
I know my brother will load a 3 ton mini digger on his 2 ton trailer without a worry, so i made him a beefy frame like the way we build them at the company i work.

I dont know what you've bought, but not all trailers are built with the professional operator in mind... ;)

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #38  
rcrcomputing said:
Ok, I did a no-no and loaned my trailer to a bussiness that I am great friends with. (Very good bussiness relationship).
Anyhow, It is an 18' dovetail, bran new. I'm new to trailering and haven't even tried to hook my kioti up on this thing yet. Well, it seems the guys in the shipping department overloaded the trailor and broke the axle. They've taken it to a trailer place for repairs (before I even knew it happened) and am shure will do everything they know to do to repair it.

Now then, It'd be nice to know what to check out when I get it back, and what to watch for when I load the kioti on it.. Hauling my 30hp tractor with the backhoe on it will be intimidating enough for me. Now I get to wonder about the trailer.. :)

If this was a brand new never used trailer, it's quite possible the broken axle was due to a mfg defect, not an overload.

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #39  
JJT said:
If this was a brand new never used trailer, it's quite possible the broken axle was due to a mfg defect, not an overload.

I agree... its easy to say afterwards, but maybe you'd been better off if you went back to the salesman you bought it from and have him see it first...
Now another company has tried to repair the damage, you can forget about your warranty claim because they havent seen the damage nor gave the other company order to repair on their expense.

/ loaned new trailer - broken axle #40  
Well I sorta went thru the same thing this evening as you did with your friend. I loaned my truck and trailer to my step daughter so she could start moving. My pickup came home with a dent in the tailgate and both trailer fenders are bent up. I did not want to loan them out especially after reading this post but I could not be there and she has a dead line to get out of her old place. I told my wife that I did not want to let her have it and that made me the bad guy. So I gave in and now I am really upset that I did. And as most kids are she is broke with the expence of moving and getting a new place so I guess dear old Dad will have to take care of this too. I did get I am sorry. Still makes me mad as He@#.