M59 HST no go?

/ M59 HST no go?
rScotty has been a great help to many and I as well. Very knowledgeable and articulate in explaining functions and repairs.

My M59 has to survive and thrive in brush infested environment. Several modifications of armor has improved survivability. One was to improve protection of the tender loader control valve innards.
Being able to safely carry chainsaw, chains, and other tools a plus. View attachment 850520View attachment 850521View attachment 850522View attachment 850523
Looks like some slick tool carriers you fabricated up! Nice:). I have to do some of that too.
The metal they use is a bit thin for brush work:(.
Question: Can you lift the front of your machine with your bucket forward roll? I fear my unit has weak hydraulics or not adjusted with the swing action.
I could throw the back end of my L48 left and right Not this M59?????

/ M59 HST no go?
I'm glad you asked. None of this is self explanatory to an old toggle switch guy. I had the same questions.

The M59 3rd Function activation switch by the loader control valve is a third class of switch: a "clamping push button". It does works like an on/off pull switch in reverse, in that one push latches the button down and completes the primary circuit of 12V/10A to work the solenoid activating the 3rd function.
And then a second push releases the latch, opening the circuit and raising the depressed button back up to its resting state.

But that is not all that happens. You can't really say it is a true single pole, because when activated it also steals a little power for a parallel circuit to light an internal LED showing that it is activated. So internally it is a Double Pole, but to the external world it is a Single Pole.

Normally it will have 4 wires going to it, and they are arranged between the 5 connectors on the switch as shown below. I used the upper diagram so the switch only lights up when 3rd funtion is activated.

Just order one. It comes with a wiring sheet. As for which color Kubota wires goes to what terminals... I had to trace them.
rScotty

View attachment 850565View attachment 850566
Super- thanks again!
I thought maybe a couple of the wires are to power the led indicator. I’ll get one asap

/ M59 HST no go?
The loader valves are mounted down low almost directly below the HST foot treadle. They do have a nice cover that keeps brush from hitting them, but the cover also can allow them to become packed with mud or dirt. To access the loader control valve & 3rd function valve, begin by removing the lower cover on the right side that has the yellow warning sticker "NO STEP". After a few bolts and covers, this is what you will see. You can see why it should be a maintenance point.
I believe a bicycle cable oiler will allow lubing the cables from below - but have not done that.
rScotty

View attachment 850580
Yup, same as mine. Exposed! I had no panels on mine as they had been ripped off! I ordered new ones and when all mechanics is working good, the new panels will go on.

/ M59 HST no go? #34  
SNIP
Question: Can you lift the front of your machine with your bucket forward roll? I fear my unit has weak hydraulics or not adjusted with the swing action.
I could throw the back end of my L48 left and right Not this M59?????
I missed seeing your question before, but I'm not sure what you are asking. Tell me again....? Roll which bucket which way?

For example If I rotate the FEL bucket with the cutting edge down and put downpressure on the FEL lift arms then the front comes up. If I do the same with the BH bucket then the back comes up. Now it's balanced with all 4 wheels offf the ground.

Suspended like that, I could certainly move the back end to the side with the swing, but that would tweak the FEL bucket when the cutting edge is down.

Is that what you are asking?

I commonly use the hoe to reposition the tractor when the FEL bucket is flat on the ground.

Last edited:
   / M59 HST no go?
I missed seeing your question before, but I'm not sure what you are asking. Tell me again....? Roll which bucket which way?

For example If I rotate the FEL bucket with the cutting edge down and put downpressure on the FEL lift arms then the front comes up. If I do the same with the BH bucket then the back comes up. Now it's balanced with all 4 wheels offf the ground.

Suspended like that, I could certainly move the back end to the side with the swing, but that would tweak the FEL bucket when the cutting edge is down.

Is that what you are asking?

I commonly use the hoe to reposition the tractor when the FEL bucket is flat on the ground.
On my L48 I could lay bucket flat then roll it down and that would lift the machine front. I could left the rear with the hoe and swing it easily.
Can do neither with the 59?
Sounds like you can so mine has some issue? Hope it’s just pressure adjustments?
The loader lift speed is slower then my 48? Not a lot but surprised me a bit.
Your impressions?

/ M59 HST no go? #36  
My m59 can easily lift up the machine. For a tractor this size is much stronger than a similar size ag tractor. Scary strong at times.

Before you adjust too much, change hydraulic oil and Kubota filters. Important on any used equipment.

/ M59 HST no go? #37  
My m59 can easily lift up the machine. For a tractor this size is much stronger than a similar size ag tractor. Scary strong at times.

Before you adjust too much, change hydraulic oil and Kubota filters. Important on any used equipment.
Exactly what I would say. And add a pressure guage that you can move around. It costs about the same as a single filter, and without it we are just guessing.
Should be scary strong and fast. So strong and fast that I operate the BH (and loader) at high idle, not above half of rated RPM. They tend to throw the machine around.
Some of the circuits have their own pump. The workshop manual shows that.
Luck,
rScotty

/ M59 HST no go? #38  
The M59 hydraulics are complicated. Wihout a workshop manual there is no way to do much with them - or even know what they are doing. At least yours are working....that's good.

There is a main hydraulic pump, a power steering pump, a backhoe swing pump, and a high pressure HST pump. One of those also works the PTO and another the 3pt.... both of which probably have relilef valves just like the other circuits. There are several filters, and of course every system has its own adjustable relief valves. In fact, there are several types of relief, overpressure, and bypass protection valves - and that is just in the backhoe/3pt lift system. OOps, I forgot the thumb, and the 3rd function..

It's possible that any of those might have been changed by someone or wanting to limit how much stress that a person could put on the machine. Or just malfunctioned... Also check the position of the push/pull backhoe/3pt levers under the backhoe apron.

I wouldn't know where to start without a workshop manual, 5000 (min) PSI pressure gauge, and some hoses and adapters for the gauge. NOT plumbing fittings, use hydraulic rated.
I think Harbor Freight sells a reasonable hydraulic test kit. If not, Amazon does.
I'd probably start by hooking the pressure gauge into the 3rd function quick connect & then into the IN port on the FEL control valve. That would give you a measure of the main hydraulic pump. Take notes.
Luck,
rScoty

/ M59 HST no go?
rScotty has been a great help to many and I as well. Very knowledgeable and articulate in explaining functions and repairs.

My M59 has to survive and thrive in brush infested environment. Several modifications of armor has improved survivability. One was to improve protection of the tender loader control valve innards.
Being able to safely carry chainsaw, chains, and other tools a plus. View attachment 850520View attachment 850521View attachment 850522View attachment 850523
Had to take a second look:)
I really like the guard shield built into your mounting system! Clever.
A plan to steal🤪🤪🤪.
I often carry a chain saw along. Been electric now that they have gotten stronger:).
I carry chains all the time. I do plan on fabbing a couple of tool carriers for it.
It is now at the Kubota shop for some needed tlc and adjustments????????
Just hoping for good outcomes!!!!!
I’ll update when ever I find out?

/ M59 HST no go?
The M59 hydraulics are complicated. Wihout a workshop manual there is no way to do much with them - or even know what they are doing. At least yours are working....that's good.

There is a main hydraulic pump, a power steering pump, a backhoe swing pump, and a high pressure HST pump. One of those also works the PTO and another the 3pt.... both of which probably have relilef valves just like the other circuits. There are several filters, and of course every system has its own adjustable relief valves. In fact, there are several types of relief, overpressure, and bypass protection valves - and that is just in the backhoe/3pt lift system. OOps, I forgot the thumb, and the 3rd function..

It's possible that any of those might have been changed by someone or wanting to limit how much stress that a person could put on the machine. Or just malfunctioned... Also check the position of the push/pull backhoe/3pt levers under the backhoe apron.

I wouldn't know where to start without a workshop manual, 5000 (min) PSI pressure gauge, and some hoses and adapters for the gauge. NOT plumbing fittings, use hydraulic rated.
I think Harbor Freight sells a reasonable hydraulic test kit. If not, Amazon does.
I'd probably start by hooking the pressure gauge into the 3rd function quick connect & then into the IN port on the FEL control valve. That would give you a measure of the main hydraulic pump. Take notes.
Luck,
rScoty
Yes, all good info. I’m going to send a note to dealer on the BH/ 3 point hitch valves as they looked right but could have not been fully engaged?

Slower than my 48? Something is wrong?