M59 HST no go?

/ M59 HST no go? #51  
Maybe even creat a power seat lift that would allow a remain in seat turn to front or back function. At 6-3. And 280 I’m way too big to rotate and slide feet through:(.

Then enjoy operating and accomplishing dirt work!!!!!!!!
I added a grammer air ride seat using the OEM optional one for the L6060. It will give you the height and a little extra foot clearance when swivelling. The OEM M59 seat just plain SUCKS.

/ M59 HST no go? #52  
I’m crossing my fingers as they are well thought of and I hope they can restore it to near normal operations?
They (service place)also sell and service Bobcat so it’s a must to have a decent hydraulics technician and proper test equipment. In any case, I have lots to do And enjoy with this M59 so what ever it takes to have it running good is what it takes?
When I get it back (running good🤞) I’ll be making some tool carriers and will post outcomes for those interested people:).
My goals:
Fix it up to good operation
Add a quality thumb
Add a 4-1 bucket with teeth
Add tool carriers
Replace my drop ramp trailer with tilt
Replace work lights with LED’s

Maybe even creat a power seat lift that would allow a remain in seat turn to front or back function. At 6-3. And 280 I’m way too big to rotate and slide feet through:(.

Then enjoy operating and accomplishing dirt work!!!!!!!!
When I bought the M59, there was also a new L48 on the lot. I tried it and realized I was too big to turn the seat around. On the M59, there is just enough room to turn the seat around....except for my feet. So I removed the emergency brake. It should have been mounted on the other side of the seat anyway. Someday I may put it there.
Then I made a spacer to raise the seat a few inches and add some more suspension. The best seat would be an air suspended seat by Grammar like we have on our big backhoe.

Smokey's hoe bucket QA is nifty. I also saw that the thumb seems short, though. My M59 was a special package when they first came out and came with extra hoe bucket and QA, so I'll keep that. Doubt if you can do much better than the factory thumb.

The M59 had a complex backhoe control valve - but very sensitive. The one on the M62 looks to be much improved for simplicity and price. I haven't used one just studied the diagrams.

You can mount a large tool box on the back of the control valve upright. Handy place.
If you haven't done so already, replace the retainer that holds the backhoe bucket pin on. Use a bolt instead of a spring clip. The clips fall off, and if that 1" pin slides half way out the damage to the coupler & bucket can be extreme.

Glad to hear your dealer has a Bobcat mechanic. Commercial Bobcats have complex hydraulics so they should know their stuff. All the commercial places tend to have a hydraulic guy & test equipment.

/ M59 HST no go?
I’m hoping the service is good. No word from them yet on the no go issue? Do any of you know what the TW fuse is?
When I get it back I will science out a way to modify the seat swing/height that would allow an in seat rotation.
That would really make the M59 better:).
My hoe bucket is mounted on a Kubota QA mount. I have a 16” and believe it will be all I need.
I do no like the Kubota thumb as much as two others I can get and Kubota is much more $. Of course?
Behind the BH control valve is one spot I will be placing tools as I did on my L48.
I have already added a new seat. It’s a bit better than the OEM . You’re right-the original is crap! A seat lift and rear parking break omit may be all I need?

/ M59 HST no go?
Gentlemen, do the TM fuses control the transmission and motor controller? If so it’s possible one of them is bad? I tested all the fuses before I parked it but not after the “no go” issue? Could it be that? Hope so as it would mean little chance of mechanical issues?

Just a bit of brain storming and hope:). I don’t need my new to me tractor dead on the ground.

All your responses and posts have got me looking at upgrades and mods to make the 59 even more user friendly.

Seat changes
Remove rear parking brake L48 never had one
A few tool holders
Chain hooks welded on
Lights upgrade
4-1 bucket
Thumb

Winter chores on the unit:).

/ M59 HST no go? #55  
Gentlemen, do the TM fuses control the transmission and motor controller? If so it’s possible one of them is bad? I tested all the fuses before I parked it but not after the “no go” issue? Could it be that? Hope so as it would mean little chance of mechanical issues?

Just a bit of brain storming and hope:). I don’t need my new to me tractor dead on the ground.

All your responses and posts have got me looking at upgrades and mods to make the 59 even more user friendly.

Seat changes
Remove rear parking brake L48 never had one
A few tool holders
Chain hooks welded on
Lights upgrade
4-1 bucket
Thumb

Winter chores on the unit:).
I have no idea what the T/M1 & T/M2 fuses do or what systems they control. A "T/M fuse" isn't a common technical term. It needs defining.
It may even be something specific to Kubota or even to that model of tractor with HST plus transmission.
If you find out, let me know.

Aside: Japanese technical writers have a national love affair with English Acronyms, and use them when a detailed technical explanation would be more appropriate. It's something common to all their translated documentation, and drives some of us batty when trying to work with Japanese specs.
I've wondered if their preoccupation with acronyms instead of explanations has to do with the difficulty in translating from a pictograph to an alphabetical written language?

Both seat and parking brake have various switches that will have to be figured out if changes are made.
For example, on the M59 it is necessary to push in the clutch to start the engine when facing forward, but pushing the clutch is not necessary when in the backhoe position. There is a switch under the seat that tells the engine starter controller that the seat is reversed. If you raise the seat; raise the switch.

I like bolt-on chain hooks with backing plates. There's an outfit on TBN that sells them.
The backside of the backhoe control upright is a good place to hang a fairly large toolbox.
I'll attach a picture of an inexpensive seat mod for the large and tall operator.

There's a lot to discuss about backhoe thumbs. In fact, that's worth starting another thread so that the search function can find it in the future.
rScotty

seat riser installed.JPGSeat Riser Parts.JPG

/ M59 HST no go? #56  
The M59 has been a fun platform to customize for our use. Compact, powerful, versatile and thoughtful ergonomics. Lends itself well to owner tweaking to meet their needs. Can’t think of anything that is perfect out of the box.

Grapples for handling trees and brush. 5’ long bottom, high back bucket with piranha edge is great digging and grading bucket. Like not having a wide bucket in tight spots.

Hope you get yours back soon with a happy ending.

/ M59 HST no go?
Smokey dog, yes I will starts thumb thread. It will also help me sort through the options once more before purchase. Just a short note on the options: One uses solid round stock torque bars between claws of 3/4” R400 and they make the cylinders to match for dozens of models—-2400$. With shipping
Second uses 1/2” flat plate between 5/8” R400 claws and they can move the claws to meet or split tooth spacing, also dozens of models and in house cylinders—-2150$ with shipping.
Third uses the same method but has only made for M62 to date—-1600$ with shipping. If by chance the M62 uses the same buckets then that’s the best deal.

TM controller stands for Transmission-Motor Controller. 2 on the unit. Have not found them yet but could be the issue or the fuse powering them? TM explanation is not in the operators manual:(. About 80$ if needed. The ECU is 750$.

I will write of finding as soon as I get word.
Yes, I have found those lock out switches and have set up switchable bypasses on the two icky ones:).
More work coming .

I will be lifting the seat in some fashion and removing that crap rear brake in hopes my big feet will fit through:).

I’ve seen the bolt on hooks and they are ok but I can weld 10 on in many places for the price of 2 bolt ones:).
Just have to be careful to pick good spots?

/ M59 HST no go? #58  
You can weld the hooks on. I used to, but is the lip thick enough owhat do you do for a backing plate? Most loaders that can lift as much as the M59 have a thicker FEL bucket top lip. Still, a welded hook is just as strong. It may bend the bucket but it won't come loose.

Lots of choices and things to consider on a thumb thread. My friend made his. Now on the 3rd iteration.

So far I've not found the transmission/motor controller in the WorkShop Manual either. Don't know what it is or what it does. Workshop Manual is thick, heavy, and around $200. Worth it. It is nothing compared to the 20 or so manuals on the JD 310SG.

For some reason the M59 lends itself to lots of clever add-ons. TBN seems to be where the Kubota TLB guys hang out. There must be a hundred 310s for every Kubota TLB, but I haven't found a 310 website.
rScotty

/ M59 HST no go?
Smokey dog, yes I will starts thumb thread. It will also help me sort through the options once more before purchase. Just a short note on the options: One uses solid round stock torque bars between claws of 3/4” R400 and they make the cylinders to match for dozens of models—-2400$. With shipping
Second uses 1/2” flat plate between 5/8” R400 claws and they can move the claws to meet or split tooth spacing, also dozens of models and in house cylinders—-2150$ with shipping.
Third uses the same method but has only made for M62 to date—-1600$ with shipping. If by chance the M62 uses the same buckets then that’s the best deal.

TM controller stands for Transmission-Motor Controller. 2 on the unit. Have not found them yet but could be the issue or the fuse powering them? TM explanation is not in the operators manual:(. About 80$ if needed. The ECU is 750$.

I will write of finding as soon as I get word.
Yes, I have found those lock out switches and have set up switchable bypasses on the two icky ones:).
More work coming .

I will be lifting the seat in some fashion and removing that crap rear brake in hopes my big feet will fit through:).

I’ve seen the bolt on hooks and they are ok but I can weld 10 on in many places for the price of 2 bolt ones:).
Just have to be careful to pick good spots?
Update on what a TM Controller is?
Can not find it on the Coleman Electrical site? Other sources say there are 2 but I have not found them—-only the ECU.
Next week the service place says they will start on the unit. 🤞🤞🤞

/ M59 HST no go? #60  
Haven’t look recently, but think there are two thumb options offered on the M59/62 depending on which QA option selected. Think the KX version has slightly wider and longer thumb for clearance for KX040 type QA.

The M59 foot control for thumb was awkward for me. Added better cleats and hand control lever. Improved my fine control and was easy to do retaining OEM features.

Attachments

• IMG_2491.jpeg
    IMG_2491.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26