Mahindra tractors

/ Mahindra tractors #31  
Sorry, I didn't finish my thought on that, wife called and she is dealing with stuff now so I stopped.

Again, I am not knocking Mahindra here, just the logic about volume equaling quality or 'better' whatever that means. There have been lots of studies into this phenomenon and volume of sales simply do not have a direct correlation with quality.

Mahindra is the biggest player in India. India is about 3X the size of the US. Beyond that, India is still about 60% rural, the US is only about 10% rural. That roughly means the potential market for tractors in India is 18X that of the US. Assuming many people in India are like many people in the US and like to buy local, that is a huge advantage in 'local' sales. In most countries, local goods are much less expensive, too. So, in Mahindra's case the high volume is not necessarily marketing. If China decided to force all Chinese farmers to buy Jinma (or whatever other brand the CCP owns most of), would that then make that brand better? I don't know any more about Jinma than Mahindra, but the logic holds. More volume of sales does not mean better.

We knew nothing about Mahindra before doing research and searching. Very few options out there for a basic gear driven capable tractor. Don't want or need shuttle, need a loader capable of lifting at least a ton, heaviest tractor possible and as minimal emissions BS possible. All roads pretty much led us to what we bought. When I saw that messick tool bashing the tractor as primitive and behind the times, I knew it really was the tractor we needed.

/ Mahindra tractors #32  
When I need mahindra parts for my 485. I order international when possible. It's a licensed copy and even some of the modern tractors have extremely similar castings.

/ Mahindra tractors #33  
Sorry, I didn't finish my thought on that, wife called and she is dealing with stuff now so I stopped.

Again, I am not knocking Mahindra here, just the logic about volume equaling quality or 'better' whatever that means. There have been lots of studies into this phenomenon and volume of sales simply do not have a direct correlation with quality.

Mahindra is the biggest player in India. India is about 3X the size of the US. Beyond that, India is still about 60% rural, the US is only about 10% rural. That roughly means the potential market for tractors in India is 18X that of the US. Assuming many people in India are like many people in the US and like to buy local, that is a huge advantage in 'local' sales. In most countries, local goods are much less expensive, too. So, in Mahindra's case the high volume is not necessarily marketing. If China decided to force all Chinese farmers to buy Jinma (or whatever other brand the CCP owns most of), would that then make that brand better? I don't know any more about Jinma than Mahindra, but the logic holds. More volume of sales does not mean better.
Really?

About 60 million people, or one in five Americans, live in rural America.

The term “rural” means different things to different people. For many, it evokes images of farmlands and pastoral landscapes. For our purposes, we define rural based on the official Census Bureau classification. What is urban and what is rural is defined after each decennial census using specific criteria related to population thresholds, density, distance and land use.

In general, rural areas are sparsely populated, have low housing density, and are far from urban centers. Urban areas make up only 3 percent of the entire land area of the country but are home to more than 80 percent of the population. Conversely, 97 percent of the country’s land mass is rural but only 19.3 percent of the population lives there.

For more, go to Defining Rural at the U.S. Census Bureau - Opens as PDF.

/ Mahindra tractors #34  
Really?

About 60 million people, or one in five Americans, live in rural America.

The term “rural” means different things to different people. For many, it evokes images of farmlands and pastoral landscapes. For our purposes, we define rural based on the official Census Bureau classification. What is urban and what is rural is defined after each decennial census using specific criteria related to population thresholds, density, distance and land use.

In general, rural areas are sparsely populated, have low housing density, and are far from urban centers. Urban areas make up only 3 percent of the entire land area of the country but are home to more than 80 percent of the population. Conversely, 97 percent of the country’s land mass is rural but only 19.3 percent of the population lives there.

For more, go to Defining Rural at the U.S. Census Bureau - Opens as PDF.
That is just political BS. Rural meaning agricultural population. People who directly are involved, even a little bit, in the production of agricultural products.

Even if you used the inflated definition of rural, that still pales in comparison with the similar population in India, which is really the point. Mahindra's domestic sales potential is many times that of the US. And sales volume still has no direct correlation to quality.

/ Mahindra tractors #35  
I absolutely agree that the high volume doesn't mean good quality, no questions about that IMO.

/ Mahindra tractors #36  
I am a new tractor owner. Grew up running them, but then I joined the Army... so, for the past 35 years or so, never even sat on a tractor. Now I'm retired, bought some land, and NEEDED a tractor. I did my research, and decided on the 2023 Mahindra 5155. I was on the fence between the 5145 and 5155. These are new to the Mahindra line, and designed for US use. They are the exact same tractor, with the only difference being the 5145 is a 45hp version, the 5155 is a 55hp version (turbo).

What attracted me to this tractor, was the weight of it (it's heavy) and the lack of DEF / REGEN. It's an old school, mechanical tractor, with a modern look to it. I love the thing.

I've only put about 25 hours on it thus far, but I'm working it hard removing trees and clearing my property. I had the W.R. Long third function kit added, and it works flawlessly. The controls are old school, everything is mechanical / manual, with the exception of the shuttle shifter. It has Low, Medium and High, with four speeds each... I am really enjoying the shuttle feature.

Adding a hydraulic top link VERY soon.

Do I regret my purchase? No, not as of now. Time will tell.

So far, I really like it. It runs very well, and seems to have lots of power for it's size.

Here are the specs for the unit I have. I bought the Mahindra branded box blade and grapple. It came with the FEL and bucket already on the tractor.

Mahindra 5100 Series

/ Mahindra tractors #37  
I am a new tractor owner. Grew up running them, but then I joined the Army... so, for the past 35 years or so, never even sat on a tractor. Now I'm retired, bought some land, and NEEDED a tractor. I did my research, and decided on the 2023 Mahindra 5155. I was on the fence between the 5145 and 5155. These are new to the Mahindra line, and designed for US use. They are the exact same tractor, with the only difference being the 5145 is a 45hp version, the 5155 is a 55hp version (turbo).

What attracted me to this tractor, was the weight of it (it's heavy) and the lack of DEF / REGEN. It's an old school, mechanical tractor, with a modern look to it. I love the thing.

I've only put about 25 hours on it thus far, but I'm working it hard removing trees and clearing my property. I had the W.R. Long third function kit added, and it works flawlessly. The controls are old school, everything is mechanical / manual, with the exception of the shuttle shifter. It has Low, Medium and High, with four speeds each... I am really enjoying the shuttle feature.

Adding a hydraulic top link VERY soon.

Do I regret my purchase? No, not as of now. Time will tell.

So far, I really like it. It runs very well, and seems to have lots of power for it's size.

Here are the specs for the unit I have. I bought the Mahindra branded box blade and grapple. It came with the FEL and bucket already on the tractor.

Mahindra 5100 Series
Thank you for your service to our country. Mahindra makes a beast of a tractor. The series you own is another class of beast. Almost 2 ton FEL capacity. We were very close to buying a old tractor and just fixing it because of all the features we did and do not need. I have never even had my tractor in high gear and only 4th gear once or twice. I spend all my time in 1-3 low either with something on the forks or dragging something. Our land is not close to flat so putting it in 2nd and heading down hill is super easy. Cant be a hillbilly with no hills.

/ Mahindra tractors #38  

but it does not hurt, i get the idea that a captive customer can be forced to buy something that is substandard, but the fact that Mahindra sell as many tractors as they do puts them in a different league than say a Summit (i know that Summit is made by a larger company) not that there is anything wrong with Summit or other brands like them, it is just that around this forum a lot of people lump Mahindra into that same category. I spent a lot of time researching before putting my money into a new tractor and found that Mahindra is like an iceberg, a lot is hidden below the waterline.

/ Mahindra tractors #39  
I absolutely LOVE my 5155... it really is a workhorse. NO frills, just solid old school with a new look.
My 5155.jpeg

/ Mahindra tractors #40  
Your 5155 is a great looking tractor. Ours is out this morning waiting on T post delivery.
IMG_20230829_070925.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: