Mahindra tractors

/ Mahindra tractors #41  
I just traded in a Mahindra 3525 with 780 hours to a used tractor dealer because the brakes failed due to leaky bull pinion shafts and couldn't get my dealer's service department on the phone to even talk about repairing it for months on end. None of the dealers for other brands in my area would work on it and none of the new tractor dealers I spoke with would take it on trade, either. One of them said they wouldn't work on Mahindras because their experience had been "getting parts is a nightmare."

Your experience may differ from mine, but the lack of dealer service is what made me get rid of mine.

/ Mahindra tractors #42  
I absolutely LOVE my 5155... it really is a workhorse. NO frills, just solid old school with a new look.

I just traded in a Mahindra 3525 with 780 hours to a used tractor dealer because the brakes failed due to leaky bull pinion shafts and couldn't get my dealer's service department on the phone to even talk about repairing it for months on end. None of the dealers for other brands in my area would work on it and none of the new tractor dealers I spoke with would take it on trade, either. One of them said they wouldn't work on Mahindras because their experience had been "getting parts is a nightmare."

Your experience may differ from mine, but the lack of dealer service is what made me get rid of mine.
To be honest if its not covered by warranty anymore I would not let anyone but me work on it anyway.

/ Mahindra tractors #43  
I thought about it, but was concerned about getting hurt doing the repair which involves having to remove the ROPS, seat, hydraulic box sitting on the transmission, and loaded rear tires (480 lbs) to access the bull pinion carrier inside the transmission case. When I pulled the brake drums, it felt like I was getting into more than I could personally handle, and I don't have a good shop building to work in.

/ Mahindra tractors #44  
Thank you for your service to our country. Mahindra makes a beast of a tractor. The series you own is another class of beast. Almost 2 ton FEL capacity. We were very close to buying a old tractor and just fixing it because of all the features we did and do not need. I have never even had my tractor in high gear and only 4th gear once or twice. I spend all my time in 1-3 low either with something on the forks or dragging something. Our land is not close to flat so putting it in 2nd and heading down hill is super easy. Cant be a hillbilly with no hills.

I thought about it, but was concerned about getting hurt doing the repair which involves having to remove the ROPS, seat, hydraulic box sitting on the transmission, and loaded rear tires (480 lbs) to access the bull pinion carrier inside the transmission case. When I pulled the brake drums, it felt like I was getting into more than I could personally handle, and I don't have a good shop building to work in.
I understand your decision and applaud it, always know your limits and respect them. but where i'm at, my dealer has no problem with servicing them and parts are not an issue. I also intend to keep mine forever so resale is not a consideration for me although they resale like hotcakes here.

/ Mahindra tractors #45  
I totally understand. You can only do what you can do. No reason to smash yourself.

/ Mahindra tractors #46  

Do you have any independent tractor repair shops in your area? I have one, and they charge a fraction of the cost of the dealer. I've ordered parts for my sub-compact without issue -- the first time was during the COVID shutdowns, and I had no problems, or delays in getting them shipped to my house. I ordered one part, a plastic, belly PTO shaft, fan, through my dealer, without issue, just post-COVID. My independent mechanic installed it.

By the way, my independent mechanic provided old-school customer service which blew the doors off of my dealer, who gave me good service, just not up to old-school standards. My mechanic just retired, but his sons are running the business now. I expect they will follow in his footsteps, next time I need their help.

There are shops outside of dealerships. They are no different than independent auto mechanic shops. Dealerships are not your only choice.

I would explore all of my options, before I would get rid of my Mahindra. I enjoy it too much. I got more tractor for my Dollars, from Mahindra, than I could get from any other maker -- I looked for weeks, and Mahindra blew away the other used tractors in my area for features, function, and price. YMMV. Cheers!

Last edited:
   / Mahindra tractors #47  
No independent shops in my area. I have a friend who sells hustler mowers to the tractor dealers in area and knows them better than I do. He recommended a mechanic who did work outside the dealership on the side. The guy had shoulder surgery and wasn't able to do the job, either.

All in all, it's been frustrating to have a simple, uncomplicated tractor that is otherwise in good condition, to know what's wrong, to know the repair procedure, and not be able to find someone to do the repair.

/ Mahindra tractors #48  
I wouldn't recommend a mahindra and I own one.

Parts are not as common. Dealers are mostly lawnmower shops.

I wouldn't buy a JD either. Going thru that pain with a family member.

/ Mahindra tractors #50  
Most of the Mahindra dealers around me also sell NH.
Our dealer sells Mahindra, LS, Bad boy, a few small MF and some giant $90-100K+ MF