More braun than brains

/ More braun than brains #1  

Skidmark25

Silver Member
Tractor
B7610
OK, this is what happens when Buttercup goes out with the girls and leaves me home with nothing to do and a full tank of fuel. Years ago my dad told me those rocks in the garden out back are too big to pull out. He was right. I got into the same bind about a month ago but I can't stop once I start digging.

The hoe - a Woods BH6500 can pull out rocks bigger than the FEL (LA352) can lift and then what do you do with the rock when you pull it out? Last time around I drilled the rocks and used a plug & feathers. It worked but was a pain in the neck and I don't know if I have an extension cord long enough to reach out back.

Hmm. . . . I could dig another hole and bury it but that kind of defeats the purpose of digging it up. I'll probably plug & feather these also.

I guess the real problem will be tomorrow when Buttercup sees the hole & spoil piles. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Check out how I put the bucket on top of the spoil pile like I saw the guy digging a foundation down the street. I have no idea what purpose this serves but it looks cool. I just pretend like I know what I am doing my neighbors think that I do. I have 30 hours so far. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 693297-IMG_0012.JPG
    693297-IMG_0012.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,087
   / More braun than brains
Oh, ahd here is the rock I pulled out of the hole while digging for the rock I wanted to pull out. My hat is on top of the rock for scale.

Attachments

• 693309-IMG_0016.JPG
    693309-IMG_0016.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 808
   / More braun than brains #4  
Skidmark-

Have I got a deal for you! I could use several large rocks such as the ones you dug up for the border of my property out on the cul-de-sac (persons unknown keep knocking our mailbox over). All I have to figure out is how to get them across the country. I'm working on it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nice pictures!

Bonehead

/ More braun than brains #5  
Skidmark,
how do you like the feeling when the bucket teeth skid along the rock, pretty good isn't it, like finger nails on a blackboard. When the stones are too big to pickup with the loader bucket you can usually flip them over and over. It takes a while but with patience you can put the stone where you want it. A skid plate works good too if you want to drag them. If you have bucket hooks you can loop a chain around the stone and I'm told this helps tremendously to stop it from sliding out of the bucket. I'm still working on getting hooks so I use the flip method.

Hey bonehead,
plant yourself an 8' section of telephone pole 4'deep. Cut a flat on the lee side with a chain saw and side bolt your box to it below the top of the pole. I did. I collected one broken ball bat, you could find a bumper, who knows. Haven't had a problem since and the neighbors get smacked all the time. Geez I hope I haven't jinxed myself.
All the best,
Martin

/ More braun than brains
Holzter,

Not much strain on the tractor except when I used the hoe, just stopped dead in its tracks when I tried to use the FEL.

I'll try and drag the small rock with a $20 tow strap I bought at Wal-Mart and maybe try to flip the big one.

I'll post more pics this weekend if Buttercup lets me play in my sandbox. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ More braun than brains #7  
car bonnet works good as something to drag it on, good as sledges too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
yeh can dump the rock over at my place if you want, either that or itll make a good boat anchor. Either that or put it out front and park yon tractor with one wheel up on the rock just to show off /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Even better idea (im on a roll here /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) get Harv to carve it into the shape of a park bench and have it out back, then invite us all over for a beer to try it out /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ More braun than brains #8  
Mith-

I want some of what you're drinkin! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How would one break up a large boulder, other than explosives, if it can't be drilled?

Bonehead

/ More braun than brains #9  
I used a commericial air powered jack hammer to reduce a large rock I found when digging between my house and the neighbors house to put in a french drain line...I just went to the local rental store and rented the big air compressor trailer and jackhammer and all and had at it.

It only took half an hour or so to reduce about half the size of yours to pieces we could move by hand ( this was in the burbs, no tractor back then ).

/ More braun than brains #10  
Bonehead, pop over if ya want /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How would one break up a large boulder, other than explosives, if it can't be drilled? )</font>
Get the mother in law to look at it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif