More braun than brains

/ More braun than brains #21  
Ron; Need me to loadup and help you out? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ More braun than brains #22  
Not yet John. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thats my project for next summer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Your tractor may take all the fun out of trying to split rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ More braun than brains #23  
Ron; Splitting rocks, hmm. Sounds like a scene from an old prison movie to me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ More braun than brains
David, Here is the link to where I bought the plug & feathers
http://www.midcoast.com/~bicknell/WEDGESANDSHIMS.html

Here in Massachusetts I have alot of rocks. Most of the rocks are fractured ledge so the technique I use is to brush off the rock or hit it with the hose to clean it off. Then I can find cracks and I drill on the cracks and work the split along the naturally occuring cracks. I Drill one hole first then hit in the plug and see the crack spread. Sometimes I only need to drill one hole and the crack opens enough so I dont' nneed to drill to put in another wedge.

Shop around for pricing on the plug & feathers set but the cost of the tool won't kill you it will be the freight.

/ More braun than brains #25  
I just told my wife how well you guys make me feel. I am not the only one that looks for stuff to do with my tractor.

/ More braun than brains #26  
You are well prepared.
I bet you do this a lot.
All too often there are those who get into a project without any idea of what may be encountered and how the obstacles may be overcome.
You have applied brute force in little increments and defeated rocks which have perservered for hundreds of years. Good job.
I have a specially perpared practice area for all those fellows who need rock splitting experience. You could come over and be the instructor. We could sell beer and bandages. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
All the best,
Martin

/ More braun than brains #27  
Ah, breaking rock in the hot sun. Well, I don't know how hot it is there.

Anyway, thanks for the photo sequence.

Cliff

/ More braun than brains #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Skidmark-

I could use several large rocks such as the ones you dug up

Bonehead )</font>
=======
Could anybody use the chunks of busted up concrete from a side walk i tore up???

/ More braun than brains #29  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Hey bonehead,
plant yourself an 8' section of telephone pole 4'deep. Cut a flat on the lee side with a chain saw and side bolt your box to it below the top of the pole. I did. I collected one broken ball bat, you could find a bumper, who knows. Haven't had a problem since and the neighbors get smacked all the time.
All the best,
Martin )</font>
===============
I put up a dummy mail box for the mail box vandalizers.
So far it's working as my real mail box hasn't been bothered.

/ More braun than brains #30  
<font color="blue"> "I have no idea what purpose this serves but it looks cool." </font>

Very cool!! It makes me want a backhoe so that I could prop my bucket on a spoil pile.
Some things aren't as cool, for example, a hay rake - not very cool.
Toothbar - pretty cool.
Bush Hog - not excessively cool.
Top-N-Tilt - pretty dang cool!
Hydraulic thumb - very cool!
I think the manufacturers know this all too well and figure "cool" into their price. They know that we will spend the bucks for "cool".
I figure that you're going to spend $20K on a tractor, the "cool" factor should be considered in the total value of the equipment.
Though it is difficult to quantify the value of "cool", you should take advantage of every opportunity. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif