Moving a 6 ft brushog

/ Moving a 6 ft brushog #1  

downslope

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF TO-35, Ford(s) 2000, 8N, 9N, White 2-70, NH TD75D, JD 5045D
My friend has offered to sell me his JD MX6 six foot cutter. I'm in NY and he's in PA, about 200 mile trip. I will have to pick it up. The overall width of the machine is 75" and it weighs 1050 lbs. I looked into renting an open bed UHAUL trailer but they are only 72" between the sides. I have a 1-ton GM 3500 to pull the trailer. My neighbor has offered to let me use his 7,000 lb 2-axle car hauler. It's in good shape and wide enough for the job.

My question is would I be good to go with this or could I run into DOT regs because it's an interstate trip? The 3500 has a MGVW of 9,900 lbs, the trailer as mentioned is 7,000 lb rated (two 3500 lb axles).

/ Moving a 6 ft brushog #2  
My friend has offered to sell me his JD MX6 six foot cutter. I'm in NY and he's in PA, about 200 mile trip. I will have to pick it up. The overall width of the machine is 75" and it weighs 1050 lbs. I looked into renting an open bed UHAUL trailer but they are only 72" between the sides. I have a 1-ton GM 3500 to pull the trailer. My neighbor has offered to let me use his 7,000 lb 2-axle car hauler. It's in good shape and wide enough for the job.

My question is would I be good to go with this or could I run into DOT regs because it's an interstate trip? The 3500 has a MGVW of 9,900 lbs, the trailer as mentioned is 7,000 lb rated (two 3500 lb axles).

Yeah, I would be concerned... you need to make sure you pull off at the scales too... just to be safe! :D

/ Moving a 6 ft brushog #3  
I hauled a six footer on the back of a pickup bed once. I just used two square aluminum load locks to set it on, on top of the sides of the bed. Since you know your going to be bringing it back, you could plan ahead and build a wooden frame in your truck to set it on and keep it above the sides of the bed (or the trailer if you just gotta haul one). Be sure to allow for the stumpjumper.
I won't comment on the other questions you asked since someone local would know your laws better.
David from jax

/ Moving a 6 ft brushog #4  
Here in SC i have hauled my 1800lb tractor on my tandem 16ft trailer, with bushhog and dont stop at the weight stations. If you dont have to stop with a uhaul why should you have to stop in a pickup and trailer tha weighs less loaded than the uhaul? Your not commercial so i really would not worry, but you may as well check if your the worrying type. It will ride fine on the trailer, but like others said id try to fix so cribing to hold it above the bed. Do you have a nice truck that you dont want to get a scratch or paint rubbed through spot in? That might not be the best situation , unless your real carefull with the build it may shift and may even shift when loaded and there will be nothing you can do short or trying to pry it up and stuff your shirt of a towel under it.

/ Moving a 6 ft brushog #5  
Yeah, I would be concerned... you need to make sure you pull off at the scales too... just to be safe! :D

For the record: I was kidding. :thumbsup:

/ Moving a 6 ft brushog #6  
For the record: I was kidding. :thumbsup:
I was hoping so. These threads always turn into a you need a CDL, log book, note from your mother, ect.

Just go get it with his trailer. Strap it down good and have a good time.

Also, make sure you have a way to load and unload on each end. I hauled my uncles 6' last summer but we each had a FEL at both ends so a lifting strap from the tail wheel mount to the top portion of the 3 point hitch. I have a boom pole for my FEL so it was a easy hookup but on my uncles end we had to first wrap a chain around the bucket to hook the strap too. It made the BH very close to the grill/radiator of his tractor. One other word of advise is to lift with the tractor stationary and back the trailer under it to load then on the other end drive the trailer out from under it. Its tricky to control the swing when driving the tractor and can lead to damage quickly.

Chris

/ Moving a 6 ft brushog #7  
I was hoping so. These threads always turn into a you need a CDL, log book, note from your mother, ect.

Chris

I thought I was pretty obvious... but then I started to think about it...

I have been reading the CDL/No-CDL threads. Boy do they get serious!

I have never heard of someone worried about hauling a bush hog though...

/ Moving a 6 ft brushog #8  
Is your truck a flat? If so put it on your bed strap it down and haul butt.

/ Moving a 6 ft brushog #9  
I have been looking at a way to do that too. My old Kubota with rotary mower and loader fit my 16' flatbed. My NH TC40 does not, but a lot... I take it to my parents place to mow thier 8 acres.

In June, I took just the tractor/mower. It did not balance well, but I was able to get it all on the trailer. glad I have a 3/4 ton, or else I would not have towed it.

I still have need to take the whole setup there though. I was thinking about a 2x4 lumber frame so the mower could sit on top of the bed. With straps/tiedown of course.

It is only 30 miles one way. I could make a couple trips, one with the mower, unload with my Dad's 9N, then back home and get my tractor/loader. Would like to just do one trip though.

/ Moving a 6 ft brushog #10  
I have been looking at a way to do that too. My old Kubota with rotary mower and loader fit my 16' flatbed. My NH TC40 does not, but a lot... I take it to my parents place to mow thier 8 acres.

In June, I took just the tractor/mower. It did not balance well, but I was able to get it all on the trailer. glad I have a 3/4 ton, or else I would not have towed it.

I still have need to take the whole setup there though. I was thinking about a 2x4 lumber frame so the mower could sit on top of the bed. With straps/tiedown of course.

It is only 30 miles one way. I could make a couple trips, one with the mower, unload with my Dad's 9N, then back home and get my tractor/loader. Would like to just do one trip though.

Can u just let the mower hang off the back. That what i so with a MF1540 and 6' mower. It hang off about 3 ft.