Moving a 6 ft brushog

/ Moving a 6 ft brushog #31  
With me driving it, that rig would pass right by scales & beg for forgiveness later, as needed. :)

Same here.

Ouch would i hae to stop while towing a 4wheeler or lawnmower on a 4x8 trailer too? How about just a full load of firewood in the bed of my truck? Glas i dont live where you do.

If you are over 4 ton you would.

/ Moving a 6 ft brushog #33  
;) If I don't stop at the scale, how would they know? :cool:

On the serious side though, how many 4 ton 6 foot brush hogs are there?:shocked:

By the time you figure truck trailer and BH.

Lets do some math. I got Old iron for a truck, i dont have those shiny trucks like yall got. My regular cab shortbed 4wd Chevy weights 5000+lbs lets say the trailer is 1500lbs and the bush hog is, well say a heavy duty one and weights almost 1000lbs. Thats makes us weigh 7500lbs, plus you have to add your weight , the wife or buddy, full load of fuel another several hundred pounds were creapin toward 8K!!

/ Moving a 6 ft brushog
All joking aside that rig would have to stop at the scale here. :cool:
Thank you all for the various words of advice. Living and working in NY I tend to worry about these things.

I spoke to a landscape contractor in Dutchess County, NY yesterday when I noticed he had USDOT numbers on his GMC 2500 pickup. I asked him about the numbers and he said it was because he sometimes tows a small landscape trailer.

When I got home I looked on the NYS DOT website ( https://www.nysdot.gov/divisions/operating/osss/truck/registration-licensing ) and found this:

Do I need a USDOT Number?
If you operate a truck for business purposes with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or a truck and trailer with a gross combination vehicle weight rating (GCWR) of 10,001 lbs. or more, you need a USDOT number.

Note: Trucks used strictly for personal (non-business) or recreational use do not require a USDOT Number!

Commonly asked questions and answers related to the requirements for obtaining a USDOT number.

■How do I determine my GVWR or GCWR?
It is important to remember that your vehicle may or may not be registered with the same weight as the GVWR. In order to find your GVWR, you need to examine your vehicle.

■On trucks, the GVWR is normally printed inside the door jam, behind the driver's seat, or in the glove box.
■On trailers, you will normally find the GVWR on the tongue.
In order to compute the gross combination weight rating GCWR, simply add the GVWR of the truck to the GVWR of the trailer. The total is the GCWR. This is the maximum weight that the manufacturer rates for the vehicles, including the weight of the vehicles, and the maximum load weight.

I'm also a member of NY Farm Bureau and they've been telling us that we need DOT numbers on vehicles over 10K lbs, and there is no exemption for agriculture. ( New York Farm Bureau: Resources - )

So I don't know; I'll probably just take the trailer and go get it this week, and if I get stopped explain that the mower is for my personal use (I don't do jobs for hire, but will use it on my farm). But like I said earlier it makes me nervous about getting hit with a fine of some sort.:confused: