My 30' x 40' tractor garage

/ My 30' x 40' tractor garage #51  
years ago my da put up a 20' x 40' garage with a 9 ft door. he found a breaker box out of a service station, LOTS of breakers. then he used 1/2 play wood on the walls, that way you can hang something ANY where you want. and he had one breaker for each side/wall, and had a outlet every other stud, and out lets on the celling 2x4s to plug the lights in to. it works great.

/ My 30' x 40' tractor garage
Is the gravel border just to keep water from pooling next to the building?

The gravel keeps the sides of the building from getting mud and grass on them. It also makes mowing easy- no weed whacking, just mowing. It's all about ease of maintenance.

The landscaping/grading where the gravel is has a slight downward tilt to it so the water runs away from the building. There is fabric (big box store grade) under the gravel. The boarder of the house is the same way, easy to mow, no shrubs and once a year I pull out anything growing. The boarder also has a slight slope to it such that the corners are about 4" below the mid sections, also to help drainage. In the front, there are 1" pipes with fabric under the PT 4x4s to help with drainage.

So, the final grading gets the water away from the building. The gravel means no cleaning the building, easy mowing maintenance. Now if the grass can just start growing.... :eek:

Pete

/ My 30' x 40' tractor garage #53  
Pete, NICE work on the building and pictures! Maybe we should have tried to hire you as the photographer for our daughters wedding!
I live in Hillsborough and am in your neighborhood a lot. Would love to stop in and shoot the breeze about the JD 318, your service inspection, and where you had your service done. I have been to the one north of you and east of you, but have not used the dealer to your west.
I have an '83 JD 318 that I've had for a long time, and have picked up 2 more that I hope to get working good to give to my kids when they get their own places. I'm going to send you a note with my contact info.

Thanks,
Terry B

/ My 30' x 40' tractor garage #54  
The gravel keeps the sides of the building from getting mud and grass on them. It also makes mowing easy- no weed whacking, just mowing. It's all about ease of maintenance.

The landscaping/grading where the gravel is has a slight downward tilt to it so the water runs away from the building. There is fabric (big box store grade) under the gravel. The boarder of the house is the same way, easy to mow, no shrubs and once a year I pull out anything growing. The boarder also has a slight slope to it such that the corners are about 4" below the mid sections, also to help drainage. In the front, there are 1" pipes with fabric under the PT 4x4s to help with drainage.

So, the final grading gets the water away from the building. The gravel means no cleaning the building, easy mowing maintenance. Now if the grass can just start growing.... :eek:

Pete

Pete,
I wish I had the knowledge you share with others on your builds and your home. It is a treat to see what you have done and how you approach building projects. I think next week I may start on the gravel border around my pole barn, garage, shop or however you want to describe it. Thanks for all your time posting projects.
Holt

/ My 30' x 40' tractor garage
Thanks hcallaway. The grass is starting to grow, but seems like there are always a few areas that don't do so well. I'll probably leave them until the fall- starting grass this late in the season is a bit of a gamble. Hopefully I can post a nice picture in a few months.
Make sure the grade around your building is such that water runs away from it. Then you can work in the wood, gravel, and build up the ground. I'm putting in a 24 x 30 storage shed next. It won't have any fancy finish, but it is on more of a slope so the final landscaping will be more of a challenge. I'll have a post on it.

Terry, I'll get up with you, just need a free moment....

Pete