My Firewood Operation

/ My Firewood Operation #11  
Great setup and well thought out plan to use the power you have. In a renovation about 10 years ago I enclosed my fireplace because it was in an old part of the house and would require quite some work to be safe. Since then I have thought every winter (for only about three weeks down here) that I needed to put one back in, cut and split wood, and heat the house with it.

Well, I am almost 65 now. My daughter and family bought a house that has a HUGE fireplace. They do not plan to burn wood but she wanted some fire dogs and some wood for "decoration" in the fire place. So I cut down a tree, saw a couple of logs at three feet (the fireplace is huge) and got out the splitter mallet. First hit on that log section and the mallet just bounced back off. Took me forever to split enough wood for her decoration.

I decided my propane heaters work just well.

/ My Firewood Operation #14  
It is a tractor skidding winch. It looks like a Wallenstein, they're also made by Farmi and other companies.

And they are awesome tools!! I had no idea how useful they are until I found a used one and jumped on it. Now I can't imagine being without it.

/ My Firewood Operation #15  
And they are awesome tools!! I had no idea how useful they are until I found a used one and jumped on it. Now I can't imagine being without it.
X2 big time !! :thumbsup:

/ My Firewood Operation #16  
Love the fab work idea for your winch. Great job. :thumbsup:

I also do a lot of firewood with a kubota B tractor. They are awesome machines aren't they. Mine surprises me still with what it can pull and do.

Enjoy and stay safe.

/ My Firewood Operation
Thanks Lakngulf and namesray. I have access to about 80 acres of timber. I enjoy the whole experience of getting firewood. I have for years. Actually been thinking about selling firewood on a limited basis. The little Kubota B makes it an easier job. Especially with my homemade winch and skidding setup.

Dave,

/ My Firewood Operation #18  
Thanks arrow and 445A. The box blade has cutting edges front and back. I also turn the rippers backwards and it provides a very strong resistance for the winch to pull against. The chains are for extra traction in the woods and on ice when plowing snow. Used them for years. When the ground freezes beneath the snow chains are the only way to go. Dave

Great idea to turn the rippers for stabilization. That has to help tremendously.

/ My Firewood Operation #19  
^^^

Never thought of that... very innovative at no cost.

Sad to say the oak around here is just left to rot... no market for it and most pay to have it hauled away with all the burn bans... of course all of Thanksgiving week has been a burn ban...

/ My Firewood Operation
Reversing the rippers on the box blade does indeed make a strong anchor to winch from.